Quote
Luis wrote:
The 1d-2c auction is unfriendly in SAYC that's why I strongly advocate to play 1d-2c as game forcing with Kokish responses. Even if you don't play 2/1 it won't hurt to play 1d-2c as forcing to game.
Kokish responses after 1d-2c (gf) are:
2d = 5+ diamonds, mandatory rebid with 5+ diamonds can have 4M
2M = 4 cards and then 4 diamonds, balanced hand
3c = 4 card support
2N = none of the above, so 3343 exactly
This sequences simplify a lot the auction so I really recommend the treatment to intermediate players that can agree to play this with their pds.
easy replied:
as i understand it kokish is slightly different than as described above
1d 2c
2d 5+ diamonds may hold a 4 card major
2H 4-4-4-1
2S Big club raise
2n balanced minimum
3C bad club raise
3D Solid diamond suit
3M splinter for clubs
3n balanced 18-19
Comments anyone?
I presume that this means that 1D-3C is reserved for an invitational hand with long clubs.
I guess my concern about Kokish is that responder doesn't limit his strength when he holds 5 diamonds or a 4 card major, so it increases the chance of neither partner limiting their hand very quickly.
This concern is often expressed by leading UK writers so I'd be interested in the opinion of those who use the method.
My non-Kokish methods are pretty standard over here, namely:
1d 2c
2D 5+ diamonds, may hold a 4 card major if minimum
2M 4 card major, 5 diamonds (unless 4441), extra values
2n balanced minimum
3C Club raise
3D Single loser diamond suit, forcing
3M splinter for clubs
3N balanced 18-19
cheers
paul

Help
