BPO-006C

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-October-07, 09:51

Scoring: MP

BPO-006C
You open 1, Pard bids 2. Opps pass throughout.

This hand is open for discussion.
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2005-October-07, 09:53

BPO-006C: 3D

Interesting hand. I suspect that the panel will debate the merits of a Heart splinter as opposed to a Diamond raise. Personally, I'm in the Diamond raise camp. The Heart splinter is a very descriptive bid. However, I think that there is too much chance of bypassing a 4S contract at MP. The simple Diamond raise will allow us to explore the club control at a safe level.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2005-October-07, 10:03

3H, splinter, and as Richard says, very descriptive.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#4 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-October-07, 10:06

This one would be easier at IMPs. I guess that's why it's MP :(

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-07, 10:08

Hannie, on Oct 7 2005, 06:03 PM, said:

3H, splinter, and as Richard says, very descriptive.

In fact, I wondered whether "Is 3 a splinter?" is the only issue on this hand. :(
If I raise diamonds, I like 4 better.

Btw, 3 should also get you to 3NT when that is right.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   Blofeld 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:mathematics, science fiction, Tolkien, go, fencing, word games, board games, bad puns, juggling, Mornington Crescent, philosophy, Tom Lehrer, rock climbing, jootsing, drinking tea, plotting to take over the world, croquet . . . and most other things, really.

Posted 2005-October-07, 10:32

3, but I never did claim to understand matchpoints. I'll just bid my hand.

#7 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:05

3D, Agree 3h will be splinter but I prefer to have a better hand for the splinter.

Even though I play 2d as stronger than almost anyone else here.

#8 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:07

Interesting, I generally prefer to have minimum hands for splinters.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:15

Jlall, on Oct 7 2005, 12:07 PM, said:

Interesting, I generally prefer to have minimum hands for splinters.

I agree, in that a splinter should not have 'medium' extras. When you splinter you should be comfortable passing if partner signs off, or comfortable bidding on. The former means having a minimum, the latter means having a LOT of extra values.

However, I did not splinter here. I would have splintered with Axxxxx x AQJ10 xx, but I don't like my suit for a high-level contract and I do like it for a contract. Compare how Qx in fits the 2 hands for a contract and how xx fits it for 5/6... in both cases, you'd prefer to play 4... not that my 3 choice makes it easy to reach :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:21

I chose the (hoped for) 3H splinter for two reasons: first, I thought if would get the most votes :D , and secondly, because it's matchpoints a minor suit slam is going to be very difficult for partner to visualize with a trump holding of Kxxxx, so to keep slam alive with such excellent support I felt it necessary to make the most aggressive slam bid I could make. If partner holds little in hearts not only will we avoid NT but may get to a minor slam which will play huge dividends at MPs.

Winston
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:26

mikeh, on Oct 7 2005, 12:15 PM, said:

not that my 3 choice makes it easy to reach :D

Right. The only advantage 3D has over 3H in terms of spades is if partner happens to bid 3H over 3N you can bid 3S. But does this show 6 necessarily, or is it some kind of effort to get to 3N? I don't think 3D makes it significantly easier to get to spades, and I think 3H is a more descriptive bid than 3D. Just for the record I will NOT pass 3N from partner (I'll bid 4S). This could be wrong, or could be right. At least I will show 6 spades, 4 diamonds, and a stiff heart this way, lol.

#12 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:29

Since pard has yet to deny at least a spade preference, and he may have a 2344 hand, I like a 2S bid. Even tho I may only have 5S for this bid, I am minimum and he has promised a rebid so I can catch-up with D later (I still want to play in the 6-2 rather than the 4-4 with a 4-1 break in either of the pointy suits possible.)
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#13 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:32

Many years ago, I was either told or I read somewhere that the one holding the good trumps should take aggressive action and I've found this to be generally true. Put yourself in partner's shoes with:

Ax, J10xx, Kxxxx, AK

How can he really get excited about this hand without a heart splinter?

Winston
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#14 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:39

I liked this problem very much. It has a lot going for it.

1) Do you rebid before showing support. It is matchpoints after all, and spade "pay off" better. But if you rebid can you ever convince your partner you had SOOOO much in

2) Do you rebid 3 (right on suit quality, shade light on hcp, but plenty extras in waiting). This gets you aimed towards diamonds, but at the potential expense of not playing in spades at matchpoints.

3) Do you splinter in 's, perhaps closing the door to spades all together, when you will not know what to do if partner then bids 3NT (is your xx of clubs enough to stand 3NT? Might 4 play better?).

I hope the expert answers here will give us all something to think about, but from reading the replies so far from members, a lot of the topics that are discussed by them are already being picked up on.
--Ben--

#15 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:49

Winstonm, on Oct 7 2005, 12:32 PM, said:

Many years ago, I was either told or I read somewhere that the one holding the good trumps should take aggressive action and I've found this to be generally true.  Put yourself in partner's shoes with:

Ax, J10xx, Kxxxx, AK

How can he really get excited about this hand without a heart splinter?

Winston

If he has that hand he will make at least one move.

It's when he has the more mundane holdings that finding the spade fit before deciding on 3NT (It IS MP after all.) when that may be right. The splinter on this kind of a hand can also steer the defense while restricting your bidding envelope.

#16 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:51

i went for 3's if partner cues will go for it

#17 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2005-October-07, 11:53

I really like the 3D bid for the 5332 hand that has a flaw for NT and is waiting for pard to provide further info.

#18 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-07, 12:01

Btw, I think this hand is a really good plug for Ben's splinter rules: http://inquiry2over1.blogspot.com/2005/07/...inter-bids.html.
For him, a splinter after two suits have been denies a control in the 4th suit in most cases (probably unless we have a huge hand that will move towards slam anyway). I think this works really well when partner has shown an opening hand. (I am not so sure it is adequate when partner has just made a 1-1 reponse -- e.g. 1-1-4.)

Given that, I think we should even be able to accept a 3NT sign-off by partner. He knows he has to stop 2 suits himself, so it should show a very strong opinion. (And we have only failed to show him our 6th spade.)

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#19 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2005-October-07, 12:04

If he has that hand he will make at least one move.

Maybe, maybe not. Why try for slam opposite Jxxx? But for sure he wouldn't with:

Ax, J10xx, Kxxx, Axxx. It's a cinch almost that this hand will play 4S, a contract that IMO should still be reached when right over 3H.

I don't see how the weaker and less descriptive 3D puts you in any better position than 3H. If partner bids 3S over 3H, you can bid 4S and that should still be to play since a serious slam interest hand would bid 4D; likewise, if I show the singleton heart I have no real reason to move over 3N. IMO, any 3S bid by pard should show either real support or a "card" in the suit, Ax, Kx, Qx would all qualify, so with xx and no better than Kxxxx of diamonds and hearing a heart stiff opposite, he almost surely has to hold a club card or two to make his 2/1. Even with xx there are hands where 3N from his side is better than 4S.

However, realize I live in Sand Springs, Oklahoma, and the water tastes kind of funny here..... ;)

Winston

#20 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2005-October-07, 12:10

Winstonm, on Oct 7 2005, 01:04 PM, said:

However, realize I live in Sand Springs, Oklahoma, and the water tastes kind of funny here..... ;)

Winston

The kind of funny tasting water that comes in a fifth bottle......? roflmao (I prefer the foamy kind myself... :D )

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users