• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Only Myself to Blame An interesting defence

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-July-10, 07:11

Matchpoints. Good standard.

You lead the queen of hearts, asking for reverse attitude, against 3NT, and partner encourages with the four, which would show the ace or the jack. What next?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-10, 07:28

no matter what 3 card holding p has returning the heart 6 next seems to cater to it with even a smidgeon of attitude for spades.

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2019-July-10, 08:30

View Postgszes, on 2019-July-10, 07:28, said:

no matter what 3 card holding p has returning the heart 6 next seems to cater to it with even a smidgeon of attitude for spades.

That was my thought and what I did. Sadly the smidgeon was not enough to get partner to do the right thing. What could, and should, I have done that was better?

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-10, 09:21

View Postlamford, on 2019-July-10, 08:30, said:

That was my thought and what I did. Sadly the smidgeon was not enough to get partner to do the right thing. What could, and should, I have done that was better?

I don't get this, partner can't have 2 aces here unless S is a madman with an 8 count, so he needs a minor suit ace and the J.

Your hearts aren't good enough to crash his J if he has Jx, but declarer can always get home if he has that by flying the ace and then knocking out partner's ace.

The problem is that if pd has Jxx, and a minor suit A he might win the second heart and play a third rather than a spade.

Declarer surely has A, Q or both.

I don't see a good solution here if you return the K or 10 it probably holds, if you return the 2 to make it look like you only have 4, partner wins, but do they now switch to a spade ?
A spade could be disastrous but actually isn't very often, you appear to have KQ, given that declarer has a diamond stop spades is the most likely place for the rest of your honours. Declarer has A, a minor suit ace so KJxxx is very unlikely to go with that which is where the switch hurts particularly if declarer's ace is in clubs.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-July-10, 15:27

Lamford 'Matchpoints. Good standard. You lead the queen of hearts, asking for reverse attitude, against 3NT, and partner encourages with the four, which would show the ace or the jack. What next?'
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I suppose that you might continue T, desperately hoping to suggest a switch.
if declarer has Jxxx. Partner might have overtaken Q and might still have difficulty believing that a South 'of good standard' would rebid 2N on a hand where partner's return would make a difference.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A more likely construction. If T holds, then you can switch to a yourself.
Thank you Paul for a great problem but I'm afraid I would fail at the table.

#6 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2019-July-10, 16:51

View Postnige1, on 2019-July-10, 15:27, said:

A more likely construction. If T holds, then you can switch to a yourself.
Thank you Paul for a great problem but I'm afraid I would fail at the table.

Indeed. I took my eye of the ball and continued with the six of hearts, and partner woodenly won the jack and cleared the suit, and that was ten tricks as South had Jxxxx Axx AQx xx. Partner could have worked it out from the missing two that a third heart was wrong and gave ten tricks, but I should have stopped the ox opposite from blundering by continuing with the ten of hearts at trick two. Partner knows to overtake with the ace, but not with the jack, and declarer has to duck. Now you switch to a spade for a near top for -400. Only you know that you have the KQ of spades and not the ace of diamonds.

#7 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-July-11, 00:33

I see the magnetic poles have shifted :)

#8 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2019-July-11, 03:47

View Postaawk, on 2019-July-11, 00:33, said:

I see the magnetic poles have shifted :)

That is just the Bridge Base presentation, not user-adjustable. I too would move the auction diagonally SE one "bishop's move" so that North and West look normal. Tell barmar or Blakjak!

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-July-11, 04:08

I didn't consider that partner would have J, but what I really missed was that he doesn't need to have it to get a good score, switching to K ensures the 4th trick even if he doesn't have it. Would be unfortunate if declarer had xxxxxx, Axx, AQx, x and you could have beaten the contract, but holding it to 9 may well be good.

#10 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-11, 13:45

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but how could the lead of a low heart ever hurt given that you hope pard has either the J or A? If the A your side usually will take the first five tricks.

That naturally assumes that we hold a quick enough entry to get in and cash all our tricks...

A very interesting hand.

#11 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2019-July-11, 17:57

View PostdsLawsd, on 2019-July-11, 13:45, said:

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but how could the lead of a low heart ever hurt given that you hope pard has either the J or A? If the A your side usually will take the first five tricks.

That naturally assumes that we hold a quick enough entry to get in and cash all our tricks...

A very interesting hand.

At teams, a low heart is possible, although there may be time to switch on occasions if you lead a top one. At matchpoints, it is far too likely to blow a trick. If partner discourages on your lead of the queen, then at least you will avoid falling for the old Bath Coup.

#12 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-12, 07:30

View Postlamford, on 2019-July-10, 16:51, said:

...by continuing with the ten of hearts at trick two. Partner knows to overtake with the ace, but not with the jack, and declarer has to duck. Now you switch to a spade for a near top for -400.
Sorry I don't follow. You start with QT, declarer ducking twice, then K. Declarer takes the A but with J he still has a spade stop. He can force out A, you can take your winner, but that's still only four tricks. Am I missing something?

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-July-12, 07:45

View Post661_Pete, on 2019-July-12, 07:30, said:

Sorry I don't follow. You start with QT, declarer ducking twice, then K. Declarer takes the A but with J he still has a spade stop. He can force out A, you can take your winner, but that's still only four tricks. Am I missing something?

Read my post above.

It's MPs. If 3 rounds of hearts are played he makes 10, now he only makes 9 if he has the J and 8 if he had xxxxx.

#14 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-12, 12:56

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-July-12, 07:45, said:

Read my post above.

It's MPs. If 3 rounds of hearts are played he makes 10, now he only makes 9 if he has the J and 8 if he had xxxxx.
Ah, I see now. The object is to limit declarer to just making 3NT, rather than to defeat the contract. If that would amount to a 'top', the bidding must be pretty high standard! With us, someone out there would be bound to have stopped on a part-score!

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-July-12, 13:08

View Post661_Pete, on 2019-July-12, 12:56, said:

Ah, I see now. The object is to limit declarer to just making 3NT, rather than to defeat the contract. If that would amount to a 'top', the bidding must be pretty high standard! With us, someone out there would be bound to have stopped on a part-score!

I think partner may actually have had Jxx and you defeat it.

#16 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2019-July-13, 08:20

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-July-12, 13:08, said:

I think partner may actually have had Jxx and you defeat it.

No, you only hold it to 9 as declarer had Jxxxx Axx AQx xx

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users