BBO Discussion Forums: When you play in a 3-0 trump "fit" - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When you play in a 3-0 trump "fit"

#1 User is offline   masterho 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-July-18, 04:34

Some time ago I played a hand like that. I was South. This is the exact scenario I imagined on the first day I learnt bidding. I have asked a number of more experienced player and they usually told me not to worry too much about it. One told me if that happened the opponents probably had game. It seems he's correct. The result was down 5 for declarer (about +6 IMP for us) which essentially means it could have been 5C made for S/N.

I personally would not open with 4-3-3-3 12 HCP. What would your bidding as E/W be?

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-July-18, 04:48

On your example hand, I think it is reasonable for North to pass with a five-card spade suit, but I would expect many Norths to protect with 1NT.

We play a weak NT. East will open 1NT, west does best to use Garbage Stayman and E/W will play in 2 - unless N/S get into the bidding (maybe a double of the 2 Stayman bid?).

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-18, 05:23

I think NS can make 3N rather than 5 which seems to have 3 losers, but it requires a good guess.

A weak NT (which I would open) would get NS in a right mess if they play some of the two suited defences common here, they could end up playing in 2.

#4 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-18, 06:45

Hi,

#0 Opening 1C is normal.
#1 I think at different Colors, North would make a bal. 1NT overcall, and N/S will reach 3NT.
Given the Opening it should be possibe to make this one.
Being green vs. red, passing it out is not unreasonable.
#2 East could respond 1D, planning to pass any Response from West, if West jumps to 2NT,
… he could try 3D again, so all in all 1D seems safe.

With Kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2019-July-18, 10:28

I would hope you'd be able to make two aces and the Q of here to go down only 4.

#6 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-18, 11:50

I am opening the E hand, because the 4333 12H is as good as one can be: 2 A, and a K supported by JT. It is definitely better than QJx QJx QJx QJxx that I’d pass without hesitation.
I think I’d try 1D as W, even if I prefer to be green why answering subminimum hands. The void and 6-cd suit call for action. And hoping partner doesn’t rebid 3C.
It would then probably go 1S, pass, where N has an easy 1NT (easier than after 1C when opener is red and you have a 5-cd suit). S with 13HCP will try 2NT and N could bid 3.
If E rebids 1NT, W rebids 2D, and N/S will have an uneasy situation (2H by S? 2NT by N and 3 by S?).

#7 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-July-18, 14:26

I wouldn't open this. If the shape was 4432, I'd open in a heartbeat, but 4333 with 3 fast club losers tips it to pass. Of course, I'm counting on my partner to be aggressive in 3rd seat. If I'm playing with someone who won't open their 11 counts, I'm going to have to open this.

#8 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-18, 14:41

View Postmasterho, on 2019-July-18, 04:34, said:

I personally would not open with 4-3-3-3 12 HCP. What would your bidding as E/W be?

Even playing a strong no-trump, if you don't open hands with 12 HCPs with 2 and a 1/2 playing tricks then you are playing losing bridge. The result on the hand as shown is irrelevant. You gained as N/S didn't have the wherewithal to compete. There will be numerous times when passing this type of hand will result in a losing score. You have an opening bid: BID!

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-18, 15:19

View PostHardVector, on 2019-July-18, 14:26, said:

I wouldn't open this. If the shape was 4432, I'd open in a heartbeat, but 4333 with 3 fast club losers tips it to pass. Of course, I'm counting on my partner to be aggressive in 3rd seat. If I'm playing with someone who won't open their 11 counts, I'm going to have to open this.

It may be 4333, but the 4 is spades and the texture would be worth an opening even if not - K&R rates it 12.4.

#10 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-19, 01:09

Pass imo (a balancing double or 1nt bid is still possible) but if you had a extra jack it is a accident which happens if you open short club (5542) and you escape if you open best minor (5533).

#11 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-July-19, 06:13

Sir,this hand is a problem hand .It has good points and bad ones also.1)there are two and half tricks perhaps 3 as KJ10 is a full trick as Culbertson would say.But no-one plays Culbertson these days except the grandparents perhaps.(2)There is a goodish spade suit but it is only four carded..As against this the hand (1)does not fulfil the rule of twenty and (2) there are nine losers which is a bad sign. However one certainly will be tempted to open .The RHO certainly has a hand for a balancing 1NT and the opponents will reach a normal looking 3NT contract.You were exceptionally lucky to earn 6 IMP on this deal (you could have scored the two aces and the HQ normally.) This hand would not pose any problem in Precision as it will be opened 1D.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users