BBO Discussion Forums: 3 bullets - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 bullets sanity check

Poll: 3 bullets (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. Pass (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

2. 5H (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 5S (11 votes [42.31%])

Percentage of vote: 42.31%

4. 6C (10 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

5. 6NT (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 7C (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

7. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-06, 06:59

IMPs scoring, strong field. Your call?
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-06, 07:26

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2017-June-06, 07:46

Awkward. Would 4C be strong or Leaping Michaels?

The problem with 5S is that you *know* you're just going to hear 6C coming back and you aren't any better off. I presume you pass that since bidding 7 is a complete guess.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-06, 08:14

5H then sign off.

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-06, 09:00

mr1303, on 2017-June-06, 07:46, said:

Awkward. Would 4C be strong or Leaping Michaels?

The problem with 5S is that you *know* you're just going to hear 6C coming back and you aren't any better off. I presume you pass that since bidding 7 is a complete guess.

4C would be leaping michaels.
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-06, 09:43

wank, on 2017-June-06, 08:14, said:

5H then sign off.

Don't like 5, as it makes the diamond lead more likely if partner does happen to be missing AK and the honours are split.

What's the diff between 5/5N here ?

#7 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-June-06, 09:56

What I wrote (previously) as a reply was total trash! Well done WellSpyder for putting me right. Yes, you never pre-empt a pre-empt! (Not thinking quite right this week as I am moving house with all the stress, etc...)

#8 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-06, 10:28

The_Badger, on 2017-June-06, 09:56, said:

Pass. You have 8 tricks in and 2 outside aces between the 2 hands. If partner has any decent values outside the suit he shouldn't be pre-empting, in my opinion.

Partner isn't pre-empting - oppo did that, and you don't pre-empt against a pre-empt. So he is bidding 5 with the hope of making it. That makes pass a non-starter in my mind. But the chances of getting to a grand knowing it will be a good contract seems small, and I wonder whether a simple raise to 6 will work out best in practice.

#9 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-June-06, 11:19

You like clubs. Your never showing 3 aces at this point unless you have a special agreement, so any 5-level bid is pointless. Decide what level you want to play at and pass or bid it.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-June-06, 11:46

manudude03, on 2017-June-06, 06:59, said:

IMPs scoring, strong field. Your call?

I rank
  • 5 = CUE. Unambiguous show of enthusiasm. Shows defensive values, in case opponents compete.
  • 6 = NAT. Reasonable gamble.
  • Pass = NAT. Be wary of punishing enterprise, especially at favourable vulnerability.
  • 5/ = NAT?CUE? Might be doubled for the lead.
  • 7 = NAT. Optimistic.

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-June-06, 11:52

5C is a strong bid - most likely 7 clubs in length, so 0337 or 1237 shape. Would in be right to bid 5C directly without the diamond A? -, KQx, KQx, KQJxxxx? That is a 3 Club bid.

I trust partner to have a quite good hand. I bid 7C.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#12 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-June-06, 12:22

I agree 5 should be strong else partner has preempted a preempt which should be a no-no. But if partner has done that, the onus is om him/her.

With that being said, it's possible that partner has pushed a tad to bid 5 with a player. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like - x KQJx KQJxxxxx or similar come down. Since there's just no way to know if 13 tricks are there or not, 6 seems to be the practical bid. If 6 makes 7, then the opponents still have to bid it.

#13 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-June-06, 12:30

rmnka447, on 2017-June-06, 12:22, said:

I agree 5 should be strong else partner has preempted a preempt which should be a no-no. But if partner has done that, the onus is om him/her.

With that being said, it's possible that partner has pushed a tad to bid 5 with a player. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like - x KQJx KQJxxxxx or similar come down. Since there's just no way to know if 13 tricks are there or not, 6 seems to be the practical bid. If 6 makes 7, then the opponents still have to bid it.

From my experience, and please understand that I'm talking years and years ago, of occassionally playing against and more often observing (after having been crushed by) players like Hamman, Wolff, Lair, Soloway, Lawrence, etc., it is that they all had the discipline not to bid 5C without having their bid - so that their partners could confidently bid 7C with this kind of hand.

Your 6C bid exemplifies what I found out and what you would find going back to the other table against someone with that kind of discipline: 6C making 7 is a loss.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#14 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-06, 14:27

Is this the hand to psych a 5D cue bid?

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-June-07, 05:57

Winstonm, on 2017-June-06, 11:52, said:

5C is a strong bid - most likely 7 clubs in length, so 0337 or 1237 shape. Would in be right to bid 5C directly without the diamond A? -, KQx, KQx, KQJxxxx? That is a 3 Club bid.

I trust partner to have a quite good hand. I bid 7C.

void, KQJ, Kx or Qx, KQJ 8th or similar is possible, not much defence, plenty of offence, 5 should be close, don't know how many spades ops are making, and make them guess.

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-07, 07:33

Cyberyeti, on 2017-June-06, 09:43, said:

Don't like 5, as it makes the diamond lead more likely if partner does happen to be missing AK and the honours are split.

What's the diff between 5/5N here ?

In this auction I expect 5 bidder to be void in spades 90% of the time.

5 allows 5 bidder to show some life for grand by bidding 5 NT. 5 NT does not. So imo 5 NT should be more specific, i.e asking to bid 7 with more than 7 trumps or whatever suits your taste. Just an idea, not something I experienced before.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2017-June-07, 08:37

MrAce, on 2017-June-07, 07:33, said:

5 allows 5 bidder to show some life for grand by bidding 5 NT. 5 NT does not. So imo 5 NT should be more specific, i.e asking to bid 7 with more than 7 trumps or whatever suits your taste. Just an idea, not something I experienced before.

Agree with 5, and the "show some life" thing. We all know the well-worn saying that we don't preempt a preempt; but it isn't that simple in this case. Without Leaping Mike on our card, Partner's 5 as opposed to 4 would probably be a hand where raising to 6 with my 3 bullets is a reasonable shot and 7 would just be a dream. But, here, Partner could have a hand with the nuts and couldn't bid 4 because of system -- or she might not. 5 to ask "which is it?" seems about right.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#18 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2017-June-07, 09:01

MrAce, on 2017-June-07, 07:33, said:

I agree.

#19 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-June-07, 10:24

Cyberyeti, on 2017-June-07, 05:57, said:

void, KQJ, Kx or Qx, KQJ 8th or similar is possible, not much defence, plenty of offence, 5 should be close, don't know how many spades ops are making, and make them guess.

I don't think so - a jump over a preempt is the best way we have a showing strength. If your partnership wishes to play differently that is certainly fine and may work better. I would argue you can't have it both ways.

My point is that this is a situation where due to bidding room constraints a binary choice is all we have - we can't have Alice-in-Wonderland bidding where a bid means just what I mean it when I bid it. So we have to pick: strong or not?

The really important part IMO is that regardless of how we choose to play the bid, we need to have the discipline to adhere to our choice when it seems a poor bid.

The story of how the Dallas Aces were formed to combat the Italian Blue Team - if you can find the book - had a lot of discussion about just this issue - how the American team had to learn that in a long match or series of matches that overall consistency and discipline were more important than the result on any one hand or bid. The critical issue was team unity.

#20 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-June-07, 12:47

Winstonm, on 2017-June-07, 10:24, said:

I don't think so - a jump over a preempt is the best way we have a showing strength. If your partnership wishes to play differently that is certainly fine and may work better. I would argue you can't have it both ways.

My point is that this is a situation where due to bidding room constraints a binary choice is all we have - we can't have Alice-in-Wonderland bidding where a bid means just what I mean it when I bid it. So we have to pick: strong or not?

The really important part IMO is that regardless of how we choose to play the bid, we need to have the discipline to adhere to our choice when it seems a poor bid.

The story of how the Dallas Aces were formed to combat the Italian Blue Team - if you can find the book - had a lot of discussion about just this issue - how the American team had to learn that in a long match or series of matches that overall consistency and discipline were more important than the result on any one hand or bid. The critical issue was team unity.

It's also what you define as strong, I'm not overcalling 3 over 2 with 9 or 9.5 tricks (particularly at this vul), so 5 seems the only option on the hand I gave.

X then bidding also shows strength and takes care of a lot of the hands with 6 clubs, and some of the ones with 7. 5 should have no doubt about strain, and I think will have 8 a goodly amount of the time.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users