BBO Discussion Forums: Opening 1nt with a 5-card major - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening 1nt with a 5-card major Would you?

Poll: Would you open 1NT on a balanced hand in the appropriate range with a 5-card major? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you open 1NT on a balanced hand in the appropriate range with a 5-card major?

1. Yes, always (27 votes [61.36%])

Percentage of vote: 61.36%

2. No, never (6 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

3. If it's a crappy 5-card major (11 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   cheech 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2005-April-08, 16:18

Basically, I was taught that a 1NT opening categorically denies a 5-card major, but my regular partner is of the view that 1NT is a great bid that should be used wherever possible - even with a 5-card major, and I was curious to see what others think

Thanks,
Chica

#2 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-April-08, 16:26

I don't really think that I can vote for either of these three categories. I choose option four: depends on what I can rebid if I don't open 1nt.

Usually I don't have a problem with 15 bad points, or 17 points, but with 16 points and a balanced hand, I usually have rebid issues, so I will open that 1nt.

(I obviously play 15-17 NT.)
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#3 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-April-08, 16:41

as a general rule i open 1nt when my hand fits the definition of 1nt - 12-14/15 with a balanced hand... with or without a 5 cd M
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2005-April-08, 17:33

Agree with Jimmy, regardless of the NT range.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2005-April-08, 17:44

I vote in Elianna's category.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#6 User is offline   ABadPlayer 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2005-April-08, 19:29

I almost always open NT with a 5 carder, regardless of whether it's a Major or minor, as long as the hand is balanced and falls within the appropriate hcp range. When playing a Str NT this is especially usefull when holding 5H since it helps you avoid a rebid problem you may encounter with an opening of 1H.

#7 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-April-08, 23:16

Although as a rule, I generally open these hands 1N, to me, its more of an issue of the overall quality of the hand.

For instance, the other day I opened 1 on: Axxxx, Ax, AKx, xxx; very 'sharp', no tenaces - try to get pard to declare if possible.
"Phil" on BBO

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-April-09, 06:18

cheech, on Apr 8 2005, 10:18 PM, said:

but my regular partner is of the view that 1NT is a great bid that should be used wherever possible

Here is one of the leys why I don't like to open with 5 card majors, I find the 1NT opening a bad one.

opening 1NT gets rid of your major fit whenever responder has less than 5 cads on it and its 5-7, ,wich happens rather often. So I find the 1NT opening worse than 1x openings.

#9 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-April-09, 08:36

Basically, I was taught that a 1NT opening categorically denies a 5-card major, but my regular partner is of the view that 1NT is a great bid that should be used wherever possible - even with a 5-card major, and I was curious to see what others think

1NT is a great bid, I have great fun opening them, I was taught, well may be taught is not the right term, I listened to lots of players that insisted NT Denies a 4 card major, since being converted about 12- 18 months ago I have never looked back, try them and see for your self.

as for 1NT is a great bid it should be used wherever possible, I think it would be better used appropriately wherever possible, I am no expert though, as fluffy says he does not like them, he is an expert, I am good beginner / intermediate level, but I am sure that you willl find other experts that have a positive view on 5 card majors in 1NT openers.

If your reg pard wants to try them, go for it, then decide, I think you will be happy with the result, you wont get any worse than experimenting

#10 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-April-09, 08:38

and I wont be ticking any of the 3 boxes as I dont fall in those catorgorys

#11 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-April-09, 08:46

I don't open 1NT with a 5 card M. If it is a bad 5-card, so good stopper in other suits then I still open 1NT.
If puppet stayman would fit in my 1NT system so I can find the 5-3 fit then I would open 1NT with 5 card M.

#12 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2005-April-09, 19:05

The issue for me is not whether or not the 5 card major is crappy but rather how pepared I am to hear something other than a raise of my major. Zeke Jabbour has an article on this in the latest ACBL Bulletin and my thoughts follow somewhat along his lines, and there are a fair number of people who seem to think this way at least more or less.

I take it we are playing 15-17.

Suppose that you have a 3-5-3-2 hand with a decent 16 count. You open 1H, partner responds 1S. Now what? Perhaps you play Flannery so this would not be a problem. OK, change the hand to 2-5-3-3.

If my 3 card minor is, say, AJx then maybe I don't mind bidding this after 1H- 1S, and if also my spade holding is weak then bidding 1H seems attractive. Let partner struggle with the NT. If my spade holding contains some non-ace honors and my three card minor(s) are marginal, then 1NT might be a better choice.

Zeke pretty much recommends (this is my understanding) that the hand have 16 HCPs and either have a 5 card heart suit or a crappy (your term but he would probably accept it) spade suit if the major opening is to yield to the NT opening. I see it a little broader, but roughly the same.

I won't be insulted if you decide Zeke knows more about this than I do.

As near as I can see, it is perfectly reasonable for you to decline to open 1NT with a five card major and for your partner to continue to do it his way. Partners are not allowed to have the meaning of a bid vary with which person makes it, but in any partnership views differ on the right bid. I am not a rules expert but this seems right to me. For example, I balance less frequently than my regular partner does. We simply disagree about this. I doubt it is illegal. I am more inclined to open 1NT on a 3-4-1-5 shape, when 1C-1S-2H seems wrong, than he is. Others may know more about the legalities of one partner maybe having, the other definitely not having, a five card major.

Ken
Ken

#13 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2005-April-09, 19:10

I recommend that holding 5332 and no good rebid you open 1NT and respond 2NT to Stayman, showing 5. Then 3 asks where the doubleton is and 3 is a transfer.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#14 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-April-09, 20:05

kenberg, on Apr 9 2005, 05:05 PM, said:

The issue for me is not whether or not the 5 card major is crappy but rather how pepared I am to hear something other than a raise of my major. Zeke Jabbour has an article on this in the latest ACBL Bulletin and my thoughts follow somewhat along his lines, and there are a fair number of people who seem to think this way at least more or less.

I take it we are playing 15-17.

Suppose that you have a 3-5-3-2 hand with a decent 16 count. You open 1H, partner responds 1S. Now what? Perhaps you play Flannery so this would not be a problem. OK, change the hand to 2-5-3-3.

If my 3 card minor is, say, AJx then maybe I don't mind bidding this after 1H- 1S, and if also my spade holding is weak then bidding 1H seems attractive. Let partner struggle with the NT. If my spade holding contains some non-ace honors and my three card minor(s) are marginal, then 1NT might be a better choice.

Zeke pretty much recommends (this is my understanding) that the hand have 16 HCPs and either have a 5 card heart suit or a crappy (your term but he would probably accept it) spade suit if the major opening is to yield to the NT opening. I see it a little broader, but roughly the same.

I won't be insulted if you decide Zeke knows more about this than I do.

As near as I can see, it is perfectly reasonable for you to decline to open 1NT with a five card major and for your partner to continue to do it his way. Partners are not allowed to have the meaning of a bid vary with which person makes it, but in any partnership views differ on the right bid. I am not a rules expert but this seems right to me. For example, I balance less frequently than my regular partner does. We simply disagree about this. I doubt it is illegal. I am more inclined to open 1NT on a 3-4-1-5 shape, when 1C-1S-2H seems wrong, than he is. Others may know more about the legalities of one partner maybe having, the other definitely not having, a five card major.

Ken

I read that same article in the bulletin. Jabbour was rather 'conclusive' that this was the best way to play and settles the 'argument' about opening a 5 card major with 1N.

Good to hear. :)

Somehow, I think this concept will still be discussed for the coming millineum.
"Phil" on BBO

#15 User is offline   pork rind 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-April-09, 23:55

;) i try to always open 1nt with a 5 card maj. i like 3c as puppet. but you do miss some good 2h and 2s partials. and since i play with a lot of different partners i frequently dont have a partner who likes this approach. but i have had pretty decent results with it. tc

#16 User is offline   GijsH 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2005-April-10, 01:47

Before we accept Zeke's word as the "final wisdom" on this issue, the Italians have a better solution called Gazzilli. Maybe best to let the USA follow Zeke's gospel and we in the Old World have an advantage playing Gazzilli (or similar). ;)

#17 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2005-April-10, 02:19

GijsH, on Apr 10 2005, 05:47 PM, said:

Before we accept Zeke's word as the "final wisdom" on this issue, the Italians have a better solution called Gazzilli. Maybe best to let the USA follow Zeke's gospel and we in the Old World have an advantage playing Gazzilli (or similar). ;)

With all due respects, I would hardly accept Zeke's view above either that of the Italians or of Meckwell who include all 5332 shapes in the appropriate NT range.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#18 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2005-April-10, 08:53

Unless we agree specificly we don't bid 1NT with a 5 card Major (for a good reason, like in my f2f system), I ALWAYS bid NT with any 5 card. If it's , you have a preemptive effect to get opps out of s, when it's s, you can safely balance if it's a decent suit. So no real problems imo.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#19 User is offline   lenze 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-April-10, 14:16

My rules regarding 1NT openings are simple.

After finding my point count to be in my range (usually 15-17)

1) First I check to see that I don't have a singleton or void.
2) I next check to see that I don't have more than 2 doubletons.
3) Then I check to see that I don't have a 6 card major.

So far, so good. I open 1NT.

This comes from my belief that it is better to have a rule to handle situations then to try and GUESS what to do each time it comes up. If your rule isn't working and gives you bad results, you can ALWAYS change your rule.

lenze
Please do not complain about my opinion. I don't have the time to convince you I'm right.

#20 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-April-11, 00:20

1N. I have opened 1N with AKxxx xx AKQ xxx. Yes this is probably extreme :o

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users