BBO Discussion Forums: I open two clubs and partner jumps to five, but... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I open two clubs and partner jumps to five, but...

#1 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-March-13, 06:41

http://tinyurl.com/joe73uc

#2 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 07:02

...when i was thinking if i had to use kickback to have informations i saw once (or was the second time?) "Automated :Lovera is your turn bid please" so i bid 6 when, in a while, i was off the table and i was unable to return. Now i see bidding is 5 : what is happened ? I and my partner cannot play it (and i think also GIB) but the planning development is rich (almost 4/5 ways). The "trap" is no trump 'cause comunication and controls because is not the case to remain quite.

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-March-13, 07:05

Given that neither you nor your partner had anything remotely resembling your bids, what do you expect us to say?

Let me start with the following: "Until you learn what a 2C opening looks like, you are not allowed to use words like Kickback"

Seriously, this may be the worst bid hand that I have seen in years.
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 07:16

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-March-13, 07:05, said:

Given that neither you nor your partner had anything remotely resembling your bids, what do you expect us to say?

Let me start with the following: "Until you learn what a 2C opening looks like, you are not allowed to use words like Kickback"

Infact, but how i have explained i raise to six but.. anything happened that altered final bidding probably not registering my 6. Although, to avoid time and compications i bid so but..About 2 opening i already told how i verify idoneity (losersx5<points).

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-March-13, 07:31

Loser count is not a good method for determining weather to open 2. Loser count works only if you have found a fit. Look, here you didn't find your fit are playing clubs your hand is 8 losers, If you can pull trump and set up hearts you have 7 tricks and 5 losers. Not exactly great.

Opening 2 makes it hard to find your fit which you so desperately need,
Open 1 and you will likely find 's
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 07:54

View Poststeve2005, on 2016-March-13, 07:31, said:

Loser count is not a good method for determining weather to open 2. Loser count works only if you have found a fit. Look, here you didn't find your fit are playing clubs your hand is 8 losers, If you can pull trump and set up hearts you have 7 tricks and 5 losers. Not exactly great.

Opening 2 makes it hard to find your fit which you so desperately need,

Hello. I know that you (american) use more to open from first level, but this "rule" is not mine but suggest by G. Barbone (that i think is known in bridge world) and that i apply when had to decide if. When i saw partner biddings asked to me because to get at five but surely meanings was a long and (semi)autonom suit then i bid (i hoped) six (having although +3.47 with 5 but almost +6,.. with six clubs).

#7 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 08:48

View Poststeve2005, on 2016-March-13, 07:31, said:

Loser count is not a good method for determining [whether] to open 2. Loser count works only if you have found a fit. Look, here you didn't find your fit are playing clubs your hand is 8 losers, If you can pull trump and set up hearts you have 7 tricks and 5 losers. Not exactly great.

LTC is OK to use on single-suited hands. A common criterion is: at most 4 losers with a major suit or 3 with a minor suit = open 2C, otherwise open 1x.

I'm confused where you get 8 losers from. You're correct that LTC is somewhat meaningless without a fit, but assuming 5C showed a self-supporting suit (it should surely show a pretty good suit opposite what could be a void), that'll be fit enough; you can now use LTC just fine and have 4 losers, just like you would if you were playing in any of the other three suits.

The problem here is that it's unwise to open two-suiters (or in general shapely hands that don't have a definite trump suit) 2C unless they're truly massive (where e.g. a fit and a king somewhere will still make game). This hand could be shown just fine by opening 1S and rebidding 2H or 3H according to agreements.

BTW I also don't agree with 5C - 3C is forcing and saves a lot of room. You could belong in anything from 5C to 7NT. Perhaps 4C is OK, if it sets trumps.

I think South would be unwise to settle for hearts with such a wonderful club suit but no outside entries, unless perhaps he was playing matchpoints.

losersx5<points

4 * 5 is not less than 18...

ahydra

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 08:49

In case it's relevant to the issue of hearts vs clubs: we're playing IMPs on this hand.

#9 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-March-13, 08:59

View PostLovera, on 2016-March-13, 07:54, said:

Hello. I know that you (american) use more to open from first level, but this "rule" is not mine but suggest by G. Barbone (that i think is known in bridge world) and that i apply when had to decide if. When i saw partner biddings asked to me because to get at five but surely meanings was a long and (semi)autonom suit then i bid (i hoped) six (having although +3.57 with 5 but almost +6,.. with six clubs).

Perhaps you might want to ask G Barbone what you should have done over partner's 5 bid?
I don't understand the point of posting a request for help if you're going to (then) dismiss people's advice.

Opening 2 with this hand is an atrocity.
This isn't a "minor" error. Choosing to open 2 on this hand shows a player who is clueless about very elementary bidding.

I would be shocked if you can find a single decent player who would support this opening...
Alderaan delenda est

#10 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2016-March-13, 11:11

What system are you playing where that hand is an opening 2 bid? I ask bcuz I want to make sure to not play that system, whatever it is!

#11 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-13, 12:33

What is Lovera original question? Is she asking about taking too much time and having the robot bid for her? I wasn't sure she asked for bidding advice even tho she gotton plenty of it. 6C would have made if you were in it but I do not criticize Lovera for not risking her contract for an overtrick. Whatever the merits of this auction you seemed to have landed on your feet.

#12 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 13:01

I much prefer the 5 bid to the 2 opener. Add the Q and I'm still not opening 2. The play was also pretty poor, the contract was never in any danger, and so you could just play 4 rounds of trumps throwing 2 hearts, a spade and a diamond, after which it costs nothing to try for 3-3 spades or West having 3+ hearts and 4+spades.
Wayne Somerville

#13 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-March-13, 13:03

View Postneilkaz, on 2016-March-13, 11:11, said:

What system are you playing where that hand is an opening 2 bid? I ask bcuz I want to make sure to not play that system, whatever it is!

Maybe he's playing SEF or Benji Acol.

#14 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-March-13, 13:54

2 is probably a bit overaggressive. But the problem is making the wild jump immediately. There's no problem with letting partner in on your hand.

2 - 3 (positive)
3 - 5

Now opener with 5 sure cover cards ought to have an easy 6 bid.

Likewise, you might do something similar after a 1 opener.

1 - 2
3 - ?

Opener's values are in suits you hold, but your might not be any use for partner in a major contract. Opener doesn't guarantee more than 4 and, at times, may be on 3. So what's your next bid? 4 followed by 5 probably is an underbid. You can't be certain 4 is right. So, maybe you jump to 5 . I think it sends the message -- "I've heard what you said and don't care what you hold I willing to play 5 opposite your bids so far."

Both 5 bids create what I've been taught is called a "momentum auction". Opener looks at all the primes and thinks "Partner must have solid . If he/she has the right hand to bid 5 then with all these primes I must have enough to bid on and bid 6 ." These type of auctions do come up on a somewhat frequent basis.

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-March-13, 14:01

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-March-13, 07:05, said:

Nah, you exagerate.

2 is a bit exentric but it is a style thing. 5 is a strange bid but if the bid exists at all, maybe it shows something like this? Solid clubs and nothing else. Not an unreasonable definition, although I would rather expect the same hand without A.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#16 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 14:27

this is rather excessive. 2C is a modest overbid. with a major suit queen it would be clear.

5c is considerably worse.

#17 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 15:59

Eartquake is the word to define it that has surprised myself in two ways : thanks for yours contributions, obviously, yet because there was, in this topic anything of strange. Simply i was sure to have 21 points - initial valutation - that cannot all be used for 2 opening. Infact this bidding(=2) is wrong with 18 /20 points and four losers.

#18 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 16:04

View Postrobert2734, on 2016-March-13, 12:33, said:

What is Lovera original question? Is she asking about taking too much time and having the robot bid for her? I wasn't sure she asked for bidding advice even tho she gotton plenty of it. 6C would have made if you were in it but I do not criticize Lovera for not risking her contract for an overtrick. Whatever the merits of this auction you seemed to have landed on your feet.

And now i try to respond : initial aim is that an hand with many ways to solve is not usual and i think was to be noticed.

#19 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-March-13, 16:07

View Postwank, on 2016-March-13, 14:27, said:

this is rather excessive. 2C is a modest overbid. with a major suit queen it would be clear.

5c is considerably worse.

really with the exact same hand and a major queen are we really opening 2c - would never occur to me?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#20 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 16:12

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-March-13, 13:01, said:

I much prefer the 5 bid to the 2 opener. Add the Q and I'm still not opening 2. The play was also pretty poor, the contract was never in any danger, and so you could just play 4 rounds of trumps throwing 2 hearts, a spade and a diamond, after which it costs nothing to try for 3-3 spades or West having 3+ hearts and 4+spades.

About bidding i agree with you..now.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users