BBO Discussion Forums: I open two clubs and partner jumps to five, but... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I open two clubs and partner jumps to five, but...

#61 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-15, 16:33

Even playing Benji Acol, where you have a game forcing 2D and a 2C showing 8+ playing tricks available, this hand is still only a 1S opening. You want bidding space to show your 2-suited shape. The 5C response is of course daft. A 4C jump will show a solid, self supporting suit and would be reasonable. A 3C response would also be possible.

#62 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-16, 04:16

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-March-13, 16:16, said:

But here I disagree. I think 5 should show something like QJTxxxxx and out. The solid club hand can start with 4.

Are you sure that it is a good idea to bid 5 on QJTxxxxx and out? If opener has a long major an a void in clubs, 5 could take us beyond our only making game.

Not that it is a big deal - giving a definition to the 5 bid shouldn't be among the first things to discuss in a new partnership :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#63 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-16, 04:26

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-March-16, 04:16, said:

Are you sure that it is a good idea to bid 5 on QJTxxxxx and out? If opener has a long major an a void in clubs, 5 could take us beyond our only making game.

Not that it is a big deal - giving a definition to the 5 bid shouldn't be among the first things to discuss in a new partnership :)

Absolutely. I am not sure it is a good idea to bid 5 on any hand at all but the 2 loser suit is one that has enough parallels in bidding theory to seem a reasonable definition if we really feel the need. Any better suit and we either want to keep 3NT in the picture or maintain bidding space for slam. I suppose using it as XRKCB agreeing some other suit would be another possibility if we really wanted to find something vaguely useful but that is just asking for trouble.
(-: Zel :-)

#64 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-March-17, 12:15

Anyone have talked about 5 bidding but, if let us consider the hand of my partner and evalute it in accordin to the F. Dudley Courtenay "Losing Trick Count" we can say that : with 14 losers is possible for partnership to play a game in a major suit, with 12-13 to play a game in a minor suit, with 11 losers a little slam. With my 2 i'll sure almost four losers (strong hand) or three (very strong hand).

#65 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-17, 20:07

View PostLovera, on 2016-March-17, 12:15, said:

With my 2 i'll sure almost four losers (strong hand) or three (very strong hand).

Assuming you actually play it in one of your suits. Here you played in clubs where you really have a 7 loser hand (though could be reduced to 6-6.5 for those majors).
Wayne Somerville

#66 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-18, 12:58

Clearly it confirms, with another point of view, what i've told explaining partner bidding: the message should be "if you have a strong hand, i can bid alone 5 'cause my (long) suit as trump" (in this unusual bidding).

#67 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-19, 13:28

About play was possible to realize 5+1 if was been retained the Queen in club suit : the ending had to be N 97 7 - - E - J - J8 S - 10 - Q10 W - - QJ8 -. If it is moving by N is a situation of pseudo Trump Coup (remaining a loser in the hand) that,although, it allowed to realize 13 tricks if E descarts wrongly heart J but it having viewble the cards of S is more difficult. In the other case by S leading heart for returning in club Q 10. This situation needs preventivate(=read) and the Q can help meaning there is not other fourth best.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users