BBO Discussion Forums: psyching against bad players - BBO Discussion Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

psyching against bad players sporting or not?

#1 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-19, 03:19

i psyched against a bad pair. obviously this was legal and the director told them so. later he unofficially suggested i behave myself and that psyching against clueless people was a bit low. i have heard this view expressed before.

it's not a view i share. this was a national event, albeit not a very high standard one (it was a swiss running alongside a BAM, so all the good teams were in the BAM assuming they had qualified for the final). the opps were the perennial beginner types - played for a very long time without ever progressing. but anyway, i consider psyching to be an important part of the game. yes, it's very out of fashion compared to the early days of bridge (1930s and whatnot), but I don't think bidding fashion should be a factor in deciding how i play the game.

comments?

please don't send this to the laws forum. there is no doubt my actions were legal. it's an issue of taste.

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-19, 03:26

I would unofficially suggest to the director that the EBU behave itself, and that dropping the teams that didn't qualify for the PAB finals into the Swiss in such a way that they were doomed to play against the bottom of that field was a bit low.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-January-19, 04:18

imo at a national event anything goes, if the opps don't like it they shouldn't be playing in such events
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 04:35

I think it is ok. I wouldn't go so far as to say that "anything goes", but psyching is part of the game.

There could be an issue with certain "baby psyches" which are expected by stronger players and but not weaker ones. If it is GBK at your level but not at opps' then maybe one could argue that it is a CPU.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 04:48

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-January-19, 04:35, said:

There could be an issue with certain "baby psyches" which are expected by stronger players and but not weaker ones. If it is GBK at your level but not at opps' then maybe one could argue that it is a CPU.

this was sort of an issue here. i opened a strong NT and passed stayman which is a pretty pathetic effort really. when the director came, the opp accused my partner of fielding the psyche. he being a good player, obviously pointed out that i had exposed it myself by passing stayman. this was beyond the opp who hadn't made any such connection.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-January-19, 04:53

I don't think you have an obligation to explain to opps that passing stayman exposes a psyche. As long as psyching a strong NT is not a priori expected in your partnership then you are ok.

I was more thinking about bids like

3-(pass)-3NT which are understood by better players just to say "I am happy to play 3NT undoubled" while weaker players may assume that it promises values.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-January-19, 05:57

I don't see anything wrong with requesting that I don't psyche against bad players.

All that I ask in return is some way that I can identify said bad players. Perhaps we can segregate them all into one section or, alternatively, make anyone who asks for such protection wear a large scarlet "B" on their clothing...
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 05:58

I have much more of a problem with the clueless club players who go to such events and then try to tell their opps the rules of the game.

Against you it wasn't an issue, because you obviously knew where you stood, and on the off chance they were entirely pleasant about it and just called the director to make sure, then kudos to them. But my guess is what actually happened is they got a bit flustered, started accusing you of cheating and either called the director to punish you or you called him to resolve their complaint properly - because that's how 98% of these disputes seem to go. If so, I'd say the director had an unofficial word with the wrong player.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 06:10

Is it wise, though, to psyche against weak players? You expect to do well against them anyway;
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 06:38

View Posteagles123, on 2016-January-19, 04:18, said:

imo at a national event anything goes, if the opps don't like it they shouldn't be playing in such events

Seeing as the numbers for this event have plummetted, it looks like most have decided not to. I don't think this is due to psyching by the stronger players, but I guess it will not be an issue next year.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#11 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 07:05

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-January-19, 04:35, said:

.... psyching is part of the game.

This is the heart of the matter. If it is part of the game, there is no reason for all this frowning and moralizing.
In fact it is perfectly okay for you to judge whether a certain psyche is likely to succeed against the opponents you are playing against before deciding what to do.
When I execute say a double guard squeeze I also do not make sure that my opponents will understand what is going on.
I could not care less

Rainer Herrmann

#12 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 08:17

View Posteagles123, on 2016-January-19, 04:18, said:

View PostVampyr, on 2016-January-19, 06:10, said:

Is it wise, though, to psyche against weak players? You expect to do well against them anyway;

Agree with both.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-January-19, 08:29

View Postbillw55, on 2016-January-19, 08:17, said:

Agree with both.

Give us an upvote then! B-)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 08:58

OK then Posted Image merry Christmas
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 17:36

Jinksy: "If so, I'd say the director had an unofficial word with the wrong player."

I have, on occasion, given "unofficial words" with both sides of such a situation (and other cases where skill level differences are large and cause "misunderstandings"). Of course, each side wouldn't see the discussion with the other side...

I have heard players, in similar situations asking if the psycher was proud of how they bamboozled the LNs? I wouldn't do that as a director, and I'm not sure I am happy with it happening, but from those doing it, the point gets across.

I think the best answer on this case is Vampyr's; otherwise known as "why would you randomize your results when you're booked for +2/board playing normally?"

Unfortunately, the most common answer - and I am NOT saying this applied in the OP case - is that the experienced players were drunk, or didn't care any more, and were having "fun" at the LN's expense. Happened to me in Chicago - our opponents for the last round thought they had been allowed to withdraw. When they were rousted out of the bar, they sat and played 7 of the frankly, most enjoyable hands of bridge I'd seen. But all their screwing around WORKED, and a team that probably would have beat us by 10 playing straight up won by 45. Even though it was fun; even though I knew what was going on; even though my team had the same zero chance of making day 2; it still hurt - and it still hurt that we could get crushed by players who were throwing cards because they were so much better than us (and got incredibly lucky).

And I'm sure I've done the same thing in my time at some time.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-January-19, 18:35

True, but the last time I was seriously tempted, I was playing as a guest with a club member. Opps were a pair of lols, and as we sat down, one said to the other "Watch out for <partner's name>, he psyches", unfortunately I got dealt bona fide bids on both boards.

#17 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-January-19, 20:00

Actually, the very high risk against bad players is to get averages when the field gets tops. You almost have to leave some tables with 75% to stay par. A psychic turning an average plus to a top is a hedge against the wall of 4H making 10 tricks on the first board.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#18 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 22:09

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH DON'T advertise this too much or we will suddenly have some sort of "politically correct" police suddenly throwing anyone that psyches in jail since they are obviously treating their opponents with disrespect. I say this as someone that rarely psyches but still find it useful on occasion.

#19 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-January-20, 00:09

View Postkenrexford, on 2016-January-19, 20:00, said:

Actually, the very high risk against bad players is to get averages when the field gets tops. You almost have to leave some tables with 75% to stay par. A psychic turning an average plus to a top is a hedge against the wall of 4H making 10 tricks on the first board.

The field isn't getting tops against bunnies by psyching. They are just playing bridge and letting things fall into their laps.

I suppose if you knew that the board you were about to play was ridiculously straightforward then you might step out but it might backfire too.

My favorite kind of opponent to psyche against is someone good but not great. They can't untangle a phony 1N overcall or other assorted fun.

I also like to psyche against people I loathe and my record in this area is pretty good.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#20 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-January-20, 02:38

Against very weak players who don't understand, let alone make use of, the meaning of your calls, psyching serves no purpose. For example, if they bid the same way against a preempt as against a strong 2 opening, there is no point in opening 2 with a weak hand.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users