• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

do you play best minor?

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-October-05, 10:12

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-October-04, 22:52, said:

I didn't suggest there's any element of cheating in this case, only that the assertion that giving UI is never illegal is not correct.

I wouldn't even use the term UI to refer to deliberate signals. Yes, it technically falls into the definition, but including it muddles the discussion. Sending/using UI and cheating are separate concerns.

#22 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-05, 11:02

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-October-05, 05:03, said:

The evidence of "communication," if any, would lie in the actions of the recipient of the communication.

When I write this post, in response to you, aiming it at you, Blackshoe, I communicate. Whether you chose to read it is not relevant and whether you chose to act on it is not relevant at all. This post is communication.

When West asked "Do you play best minor?", he/she was (supposedly) aiming it at East. That is communication and is in defiance of Law 73B1. For this, it is irrelevant whether East acted on the communication, or even heard the question.

When, in a normal situation, West asks a question, he is communicating to his opponents, not to his partner, East. The fact that East can hear the question is a side effect that makes the fact that West asked this question UI to East. But this doesn't make it communication from West to East.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-05, 14:25

Communication is not a one-way street.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-06, 08:52

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-October-05, 14:25, said:

Communication is not a one-way street.

It is for some people.
(-: Zel :-)

#25 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-October-06, 08:59

Posted Image

#26 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-October-06, 09:03

You should have posted that with leading Tea Party figures photoshopped in at the time of the Fiscal Cliff, Barry! :P

#27 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-October-06, 09:08

I've been programming computers for over 35 years, but I've never learned to use Photoshop (and don't even have it installed on my computer).

#28 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-October-06, 09:35

View Postbarmar, on 2015-October-06, 09:08, said:

I've been programming computers for over 35 years, but I've never learned to use Photoshop (and don't even have it installed on my computer).

That is a little like me - I work in IT Support and have been online since the 1980s (before the word internet was being used) but do not own a smartphone and have never downloaded any music (I have been known to play it through YouTube or Yahoo from time to time).

#29 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-08, 06:25

Similar to my story as well. But I had to give up on mobile phone eventually, and later on even on smartphone (my friends moved from Messenger to whatsapp and I was alone). I found a program for making whatapp to work on my PC but it was not free.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users