Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unintended 1NT call ebu

#1 User is offline   pstansbu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-09, 10:14

I tend to alternate strong and weak NT with different partners. In a moment of aberration I opened 1NT on a 15 count when playing with a weak convention card. No sooner had I placed the card on the table did I realise my error (I know that might be immaterial - I had already pulled the card with apparent intent) On the night I let it stand just in case. Could this ever be classified as unintended (assuming I made a timely change)?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-09, 10:18

At the time you made your bid, you intended to bid 1NT, so no, this is not a 25A "unintended call" situation.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-October-09, 12:57

In ACBL, if you'd realized your error a fraction of a second earlier, I think you could have retracted it. Our rule is that the bid isn't made until it's placed on or near the table with intent, so you can correct it if you discover your error while it's on the way to the table (although there may be UI issues).

But I think EBU's criteria is when the bid is taken out of the box with apparent intent (as you quote). In this case, it wasn't just apparent intent, it was actual intent. You didn't realize your error until well after the deadline, so it's too late.

#4 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-October-09, 16:14

I would agree - your intent (when the cards were removed from the box) was to open 1NT. The problem arises when your partner announces "12 - 14". It will be very difficult to persuade a director that you realised your mistake between putting the card on the table and partner's announcement. Suppose partner (having announced 12 - 14) makes a quantitative 2NT raise. You have an obvious (and ethical) 3NT call if you realised that you had opened 12-14 with 15 points before the announcement - and an equally obvious pass (to a director) if the director suspects that you intended to open a 15-17 NT and have woken up due to partner's announcement.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users