BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Mobile App Version 3.70 Comments Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Mobile App Version 3.70 Comments Thread Please post feedback here

#1 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-27, 09:13

Version 3.70 of the BBO mobile app is now available for iPad, iPhone and Android devices. You can find out more about version 3.70 here:

http://www.bridgebas...361#entry775361

Please post in this thread if you have any questions, suggestions, comments, or bug reports. I think Fred will be very interested in hearing feedback/bug reports. He's already fixed a bug on the Android version in the first release of 3.70. :)

Adding a few threads that discussed Android 3.70 previously:

http://www.bridgebas...ore-committing/

http://www.bridgebas...0-observations/

http://www.bridgebas...-v-android-370/
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#2 User is offline   alanrick 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-27, 18:32

Here goes...

I can't figure out how to scroll through the chat on the iPad. Touching the chat field just resizes and makes the font larger. I was kibbing anonymously on the latest iOS.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-January-27, 19:01

I don't think that's a change, you couldn't scroll with the previous version, could you?

#4 User is offline   alanrick 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-28, 00:12

Guess your right. But I get the feeling more chat was displayed so I didn't need to scroll back in the old version.Maybe I got that wrong..

#5 User is offline   lilhonsey 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-28, 01:15

Please help. All of a sudden my actual playing screen has been modified. The for the cards is 3 times larger...crowding the screen where you can't play. I have downloaded the new app for iPad three times and continue to have the same problem.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-January-28, 02:52

barmar, on 2014-January-27, 19:01, said:

I don't think that's a change, you couldn't scroll with the previous version, could you?

I think that this was one difference between the iMobile version and Android mobile version. At least it was during version 3.50:

http://www.bridgebas...post__p__706880
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-January-28, 02:54

lilhonsey, on 2014-January-28, 01:16, said:

Please help. All of a sudden my actual playing screen has been modified. The for the cards is 3 times larger...crowding the screen where you can't play. I have downloaded the new app for iPad three times and continue to have the same problem.

This is by design. We all experience the same. It is supposed to be an improvement. Certainly you get used to it in time, and for small screens such as mobile phones it is essential. Whether (for larger tablets) it is a (substantial) retrograde step depends on what the screen space might otherwise be used for. A larger chat area is a possible contender.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   alanrick 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-28, 12:50

barmar, on 2014-January-27, 19:01, said:

I found evidence to the contrary ;)
http://www.bridgebas...post__p__706669

But on the subject of resizing... It would be really cool if you could see the undertricks / overtricks count in the results table (ipad/iphone).
Maybe the chat tap-to-enlarge feature could be used here too (but giving wider columns instead of a larger font).
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   LostnWoods 

• Pip

Posted 2014-January-29, 02:23

I upgraded to new 3.70 and do not like the new layout at all. The extra-large card fonts are distracting. The placement of the chat box, scoring, menu options, etc are at top of screen and not near your cards. I have to hit 2 buttons to review the last trick.

I was very happy with prior version on both my smartphone and tablet. Can you make prior versions available for installation on this website or at playstore? I think I had ver 3.5?

#10 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-29, 10:38

I've given it a couple of days, and I have to join the disliking crowd. I also play on an iPad and preferred the old layout. Some concrete points:
- Graying out the dummy isn't needed. I can remember that the exposed hand that isn't on the bottom is dummy, and if I'm dummy I don't need to know who's dummy since I'm not playing. That visual cue doesn't add much.
- Requiring more clicks to review the last card played is a step back. I use it frequently.
- The choices for buttons on top are a bit strange. "Back" and "Options" are two things you want accessible a lot less than the options hiding under "more" (in anonymous play, undo and redeal are common)
- There's a delay after each hand is complete (when displaying the result) which can't be clicked through and didn't use to be there. Superimposing the result of last hand while the next hand has already been dealt was a better approach, IMO.
- Two days in, I'm still not used to the representation of tricks taken with the horizontal and vertical boxes near the contract.
- The GIB bid descriptions, when holding down the bid, appear pretty far away from where you'd naturally look.

Sorry for the long list of complaints. I tried giving it a chance because GUI changes always take some getting used to.

#11 User is offline   SquidXL 

• Pip

Posted 2014-January-29, 10:49

Play anonymously is unusable on iphone 4 and 4s because banner ads block the option buttons and bid descriptions. portrait or landscape with card diplay on or off there is no functional way to practice GIB bidding with robots on iphone 4s or lower.

#12 User is offline   BumJr 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-January-29, 12:33

I use my iPad to kibitz BBO almost every day. Unfortunately, I find the screen layout in version 3.70 to be a huge disappointment. At least offer an option in the app between the previous layout (3.64) or the new one.

In my opinion, the current screen layout that is forced upon us is a large step backward. Not enjoyable at all.

#13 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-29, 12:57

You only need 1 click in order to review the last trick - click on the indicator of how many tricks each side has won. Note that you cannot review the last trick if you have already played to the current trick.

Same goes for reviewing the bidding - click on the indicator that contains the contract.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#14 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-29, 23:31

Thanks. I managed to figure out the bidding one, but not the "last trick".

#15 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-29, 23:53

Just noticed something else: when reviewing hands, there's this golden glow to show who was on opening lead. I think it's a confusing cue - might be better to just highlight the card led, which gives more information and would probably be easier to parse.

#16 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-30, 09:26

Playing on an iPad in portrait orientation, the explanation for unusual NT (the auction was 1-(2NT)) gets cut off.

#17 User is offline   agpg20 

• Pip

Posted 2014-January-30, 10:26

lilhonsey, on 2014-January-28, 01:15, said:

I have the same issue om my iPad2. It has taken the joy out of playing. I don't think I will ever get used to the new screen. Wish they will bring back the old screen.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-January-30, 10:38

agpg20, on 2014-January-30, 10:26, said:

I have the same issue om my iPad2. It has taken the joy out of playing. I don't think I will ever get used to the new screen. Wish they will bring back the old screen.

I hope you don't mind, but I removed the thread you started that says essentially the same thing. We don't need it in two places (not to mention other threads from a few days ago).

#19 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-30, 22:09

Version 3.70 is unusable on an iPhone 4. One can't even see the vul on the board you are playing with robots because there is an ad covering it! Is there any way to roll back to the previous version?
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#20 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-31, 13:16

mrdct, on 2014-January-30, 22:09, said:

Version 3.70 is unusable on an iPhone 4. One can't even see the vul on the board you are playing with robots because there is an ad covering it! Is there any way to roll back to the previous version?

If you (or someone else) with an iPhone 4 can e-mail a screenshot to fred@bridgebase.com, it will help me to ensure that this problem is fixed in the next version.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users