Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Monetizing idea bbo data analytics

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-October-11, 12:23

I have a monetizing idea for BBO - what if they offered a subscription service where they would (for a fee) keep track of specific player results in a way that allowed for inquiries/provided some analytics. For example, I would certainly pay somewhere around $5 a month to have my hands kept in a format where I could sort all of the hands that I opened a weak 2 spades, for example, and the results from that. I imagine that programming for this shouldn't be that difficult...I'm not talking about the current bbo my hands functionality, but something more player specific, which would keep stored hands in offline storage until a player stopped paying for the priviledge.
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-October-11, 15:30

View PostCSGibson, on 2013-October-11, 12:23, said:

I have a monetizing idea for BBO - what if they offered a subscription service where they would (for a fee) keep track of specific player results in a way that allowed for inquiries/provided some analytics. For example, I would certainly pay somewhere around $5 a month to have my hands kept in a format where I could sort all of the hands that I opened a weak 2 spades, for example, and the results from that. I imagine that programming for this shouldn't be that difficult...I'm not talking about the current bbo my hands functionality, but something more player specific, which would keep stored hands in offline storage until a player stopped paying for the priviledge.

Stephen Pickett wrote a nice little program called BridgeBrowser that did precisely that.

Not sure whether there was sufficient demand to turn this into a going concern...
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-12, 07:35

Bridge Captain's double dummy solver is cheap and cheerful and does a bit of what you want.

Cheap, as in free.

Cheerful, as in you don't need a brain the size of a planet to use it, unlike BridgeBrowser.

But without a doubt, for those who can use BridgeBrowser that is a far more powerful tool.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2014-March-02, 09:41

Just tried Bridge Captain's Double Dummy Solver Program. Took just a few minutes to download the software to a Windows 7 32-bit machine, start the program and download all 53 hands played by csgibson during February 2014 on BBO. Pretty amazing. This is not an easy problem IMO.

Looks like csgibson is losing a lot of IMPS on defense (-2.97 IMPS/board when they declared on 27 boards vs +2.00 IMPS/board when we declared on the other 26). :)
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2014-March-03, 13:36

View Posty66, on 2014-March-02, 09:41, said:

Looks like csgibson is losing a lot of IMPS on defense (-2.97 IMPS/board when they declared on 27 boards vs +2.00 IMPS/board when we declared on the other 26). :)

This is standard BBO bias though if you are a good pair playing against good opps in the main bridge club. The side who holds the cards wins because bidding and making a normal game is worth like +4 on average.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users