BBO Discussion Forums: Handling 3-Suited Hands - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Handling 3-Suited Hands Constructive Bidding for 3-Suited Hands

#1 User is offline   JmBrPotter 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bicycling, Chess, Computer Science, Go, Hiking, Learning, Military Simulation Games, Photography, Quality Improvement, Reading (SciFi, nonfiction), Statistics, Teaching, Two-Player Partial Information Games, Two-Player Total Information Games, oh! I almost forgot---Duplicate Contract Bridge playing and directing

Posted 2013-October-06, 15:25

The post appended below arrived in my weekly abstract, but I could not find it to respond normally in the thread.

Partner and I use both 1 and 1 as forcing openings. Precision partnerships could do something similar by making the 1 opening forcing, too. For ACBL GCC compliance, some work would probably be required.

We use one rebid after 1 (1) and one rebid after 1 (2) to show a 3-suited hand. The 1-(Pass)-1-(Pass); 1 sequence shows three-suited hands with an unspecified splinter and 11-14, 18-20, or 24-26 HCP. The 1-(Pass)-1-(Pass);2 sequence shows three-suited hands with an unspecified splinter and 15-17, 21-23, or 27-34 HCP. In each case a cheapest step rebid by responder (1NT over 1 or 2 over 2) is a game invitational or stronger ask for the splinter location and strength range. The next four cheapest suit bids are attempted natural sign-off calls. With powerful hands, opener may advance constructively over a sign-off.

The second low-level forcing opening seems to eliminate the need for using two-level suit openings for unusual hands that need a home stolen by the forcing opening. In such a structure, one has three ways to "open" two of a suit (directly, as an honest opening bid; as an initial rebid after a 1 opening, and as an initial rebid after a 1 opening). That offers lots of flexibility for hands where a natural 1 or 1 opening might have been nice and some special bids for specific distributions (perhaps, involving one or both minors).

ACBL GCC compliance with 1 and 1 both forcing seems to require that the hands that may have less than 15 HCP fall under the 1 opening unless a waiting response to 1 is always game forcing.

{{Begin Post from Abstract}}
Forum: Non-Natural System Discussion
=====================================

-------------------------------------------
Topic: FANTUNES REVEALED by Bill Jacobs (johnu -- 2013-Oct-02, 12:52)
http://www.bridgebas...by-bill-jacobs/

------------ QUOTE ----------

As sick as it might sound, I think that shoving the 4441s and 5440s into a mini Roman 2D is the way to go

-----------------------------

It had occurred to me that your 2D opening could be any 4441 with 4 spades. Then 1D-1S would promise five but 1D-1H would promise four. It's somewhat attractive to respond 1H with four because it doesn't use much room and functions like a relay bid.

1D-1H
....1S-3 hearts?
.........1N-GF relay
....1N-C/D
....2C-C
....2D-D

and I'm sure there's better than that.

In a general sense, all of these proposals (your original, others, mine) underutilize the 1D opening (compared to other openings) and you have almost too much room for these and a scarcity elsewhere.

=====================================

{{End Post from Abstract}}
:-)

Brian Potter

e-mail: ClioBridgeGuy >at< att >dot< net
URL: Bridge at the Village

Bridge is more than just a card game. It is a cerebral sport. Bridge teaches you logic, reasoning, quick thinking, patience, concentration, and partnership skills.
- Martina Navratilova

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users