• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2012-July-25, 19:20

Just received this book today from Amazon, Fantunes Revealed, 2012 by Bill Jacobs.
Also available from Master Point Press in paper back or e-book.

The author plays an adaptation of FANTUNES with a slightly reduced level of complexity.

The chapter: Fantunes by the numbers, summarizes the results of 2723 deals played by Fantunes on BBO's vu-graph.

2723 deals, net IMPs won = 1817, or 0.67 IMPs per deal on deals Fantunes opened the bidding.
1676 deals, net IMPs won = 645, or 0.38 IMPs per deal where the contract was the same at both tables.

{MY} CONCLUSION: Superior card play [both by declarer and the defenders - 7/26] accounted for just over {half} {57%} of the IMPs won, while superior bidding (bidding judgment & system) accounted for {under half} {42%} of the IMP gains.

[Edited 7/26/12]
{Edited 8/14/12 @ 3 pm EDT for better clarity}
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-25, 19:29

I don't suppose any of those could be attributed to inferior card play by the opponents or their judgement in competitive auctions?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-July-25, 19:38

Just for your information, Bill has represented Australia a few times. He is in a regular partnership which has played Fantunes for some years.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-July-25, 21:13

That certainly clears up my question about whether the raw statistics for play by Fantoni and Nunes reflect the quality of the opponents' play.

#5 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-25, 21:54

Fantunes may be superior, but IMO to be convincing you either go completely with the scientific approach and attempt to hold all other factors constant, or you go completely non-empirical and just look at the situations where there are likely to be gains and losses.

Just looking at hand results where a pair with outstanding card play and bidding judgment used one system exclusively and did very well with it, is not an indication of anything we don't already know.

If these kind of analyses were persuasive, we would all be playing Blue Club.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-25, 22:57

If you do well in the same contract as others, you cannot necessarily dismiss system as irrelevant. How well the defence fares may be a function of (inter alia) the amount of information available to the defence, and the auction is part of that information.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 00:29

1) In the forums we are told and shown that learning to play the cards is much much more important for 99.99%(me) of us here.
2) In the forums we(me) all love to play a newish system that most dont play that is shown to win and be fun.

#8 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-July-26, 06:49

Why is this in the "Non-Natural System Discussion" forum? I thought Fantunes was, by and large, quite natural.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#9 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 07:05

View Postdaveharty, on 2012-July-26, 06:49, said:

Why is this in the "Non-Natural System Discussion" forum? I thought Fantunes was, by and large, quite natural.

Because, in the minds of many, "natural" = "standard" and 2/1. Even the likes of Acol and K/S struggle to be regarded as "natural" here despite the fact that they are essentially very similar to "standard".
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#10 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2012-July-26, 08:25

View Postnigel_k, on 2012-July-25, 21:54, said:

Fantunes may be superior, but IMO to be convincing you either go completely with the scientific approach and attempt to hold all other factors constant, or you go completely non-empirical and just look at the situations where there are likely to be gains and losses.

Just looking at hand results where a pair with outstanding card play and bidding judgment used one system exclusively and did very well with it, is not an indication of anything we don't already know.

If these kind of analyses were persuasive, we would all be playing Blue Club.

Surely you jest about Blue Club in today's bridge environment ...

Anyway, Bill Jacobs' analysis is a reasonable attempt to quantify the FANTUNES System. Doubters, can do their own analysis of the BBO vu-graph files and present their findings.

I am amazed at all the negative comments ...
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#11 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 09:09

View Postmike777, on 2012-July-26, 00:29, said:

1) In the forums we are told and shown that learning to play the cards is much much more important for 99.99%(me) of us here.

Are we?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#12 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-July-26, 09:35

I bought the e-book. It's 173 pages long. The book mixes together friendly discussions of the logic of the system, definitions of bids, and frequent example hands. The bidding trees are roughly the complexity of (and very similar to, though cleaned up, and with more explanation) Dan Neill's bidding tree for Fantunes, which the author cites as one of his sources.

The goal of the book is not to describe exactly what Fantoni and Nunes play, so the author has made occasional modifications (which it appears the author plays in a partnership of his), usually commenting thereon. For example, over 2-2 (artificial relay), the responses are modified slightly to make them a bit more symmetric, hence potentially easier to remember. The author also does not describe slam methods used by Fantoni and Nunes (e.g. Turbo), except in passing by way of suggesting that the reader instead use his/her own, and also leaves most of the system over 1NT and 2NT to the reader, with hints on key points to include to deal with the distributionally wide-ranging 1NT opening, for example.

The system is quite detailed and complicated. The opening is of course quite natural, and the responses are mostly straightforward, but thereafter many specialized conventional bids show up. There are occasional hints for simplifying the system where possible, but they're not very frequent. The reader can work on paring away more to come up with a bare-bones version, but it would take a lot of work to separate the truly-necessary from the very-nice-to-have from the fairly-useful and to come up with workable simpler alternatives.

Toward the end, there is a seven page summary bidding tree, as well as quite a few quiz questions, including a separate page of problems just on the Fantunes version of Gazzilli.

To add my $.02 to the discussion of imps per deal: It's quite difficult to separate system wins from bidding judgement wins. It seems entirely possible, even likely, that the .29 imps/board Fantoni and Nunes apparently win in the bidding comes largely or entirely from their bidding judgement.

Fantunes seems like a fun system, and I enjoy fun/different systems. I do think however that card play and bidding judgement are each quite a bit more important than system, at least once your system is reasonably well fleshed out.

#13 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-July-26, 09:39

Thanks for the reviews, have just ordered the book, I was looking for a fun new challenge, had mulled over forming a casual partnership specifically to give Fantunes a try, and this book (and the post here to tell me about it) has given me the kick I needed to try it.

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-July-26, 10:37

View PostPrecisionL, on 2012-July-26, 08:25, said:

I am amazed at all the negative comments ...

I didn't notice any negative comments about these two great players, the system, or the stats presented.

What I noticed were quite appropriate questions about whether we can "conclude" from those stats --or from any stats--anything about the effectiveness of that, or any, system.

#15 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 12:54

I will check the book out :)
As my contribution: all constructive FN biddings from vugraph in tree format (.bss) with alerts included which you can browse using BBO .bss viewer:
https://dl.dropbox.c...85/fantunes.bss
:)

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-July-27, 02:29

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-July-26, 09:39, said:

Thanks for the reviews, have just ordered the book, I was looking for a fun new challenge, had mulled over forming a casual partnership specifically to give Fantunes a try, and this book (and the post here to tell me about it) has given me the kick I needed to try it.

Wow, I am shocked! Sound openings and narrow-range 2 bids sounds like completely the opposite approach from the natural one for you.
(-: Zel :-)

#17 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-27, 02:55

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-July-26, 12:54, said:

I will check the book out :)
As my contribution: all constructive FN biddings from vugraph in tree format (.bss) with alerts included which you can browse using BBO .bss viewer:
https://dl.dropbox.c...85/fantunes.bss
:)

How can I get hold of the .bss viewer?

Rainer Herrmann

#18 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-July-27, 02:57

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-July-27, 02:29, said:

Wow, I am shocked! Sound openings and narrow-range 2 bids sounds like completely the opposite approach from the natural one for you.

Precisely why I wanted to try it.

#19 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-27, 03:15

How can I get hold of the .bss viewer?

Rainer Herrmann

My understanding is that bidedit.exe needed to open those is automatically installed with old BBO client which you may find here: http://www.bridgebas.../v2problems.php
You should be able to just double click .bss files to open once you install it.

#20 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-27, 05:05

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-July-27, 03:15, said:

My understanding is that bidedit.exe needed to open those is automatically installed with old BBO client which you may find here: http://www.bridgebas.../v2problems.php
You should be able to just double click .bss files to open once you install it.

Thanks

Rainer Herrmann

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users