• 4 Pages +
  • Last »

Crazy or Not Part 2 2NT Rebid

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-September-02, 07:57

I broke the rules on this one in 2 ways, firstly 2NT rebid should be 19-20 and secondly its not a "textbook" balanced hand if you like. My thought was, 1) 3D would be non-forcing whereas 2NT is game forcing and I think we definitely belong in game even if P is really minimum. 2) NT is probably best played from my side due to Kx holding in Spades. Again it worked well (everything seemed to work today, you know when the opps go 6NT - 6 on one of the first boards it's probably gonna be a good day :lol:) but again not sure if the judgement is ok or lucky.

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-02, 10:23

I think this is a fine call, not crazy. 6322 are semi-balanced and no trump isn't a bad spot.

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-September-02, 10:37

Why is the 2NT rebid 19-20? Is your 1NT opening bid 16-18 or 15-18?

Even if it is, there is nothing wrong with the 2NT rebid. The alternative is 3, and this hand is, at the very least, at the top end of a 3 rebid, if not too strong for it.

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-02, 10:44

1NT opening bid is 12-14

1NT rebid is 15-18
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2013-September-02, 15:49

If your 2N rebid is 19-20 then 2N describes the hand well. The 1N rebid of 15-18 looks a bit unusual to me. Presumably after 1x-1y-1N you have a Crowhurst style 2 bid available to ask further about shape and strength.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-02, 16:29

indeed we do :P

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-September-03, 00:51

View Posteagles123, on 2013-September-02, 07:57, said:

I broke the rules on this one in 2 ways, firstly 2NT rebid should be 19-20

...and you think this hand is worth 21? I think that's going overboard a bit, 19-20 is a fine evaluation.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-03, 10:53

I bid 3N, shows a running minor + stoppers. 2NT should be reserved for more balanced hands that need partner to provide some tricks. That's not this hand, which is close to making 3N opposite a 0 count with a favorable lead.

#9 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2013-September-03, 13:01

View PostTylerE, on 2013-September-03, 10:53, said:

I bit 3N, shows a running minor + stoppers. 2NT should be reserved for more balanced hands that need partner to provide some tricks. That's not this hand, which is close to making 3N opposite a 0 count with a favorable lead.

Same for me as a S/A or 2/1 player.

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-September-03, 13:30

I can understand bidding 3NT if you actually have 9 tricks on a favorable lead (which would be true if you had one more diamond and one less club).

Here, on a spade lead, you are likely to have 8 tricks with no hope of a ninth opposite the 0 count that you are discussing.

I don't see why you want to distort your bidding to show a hand that you don't hold. 2NT is a reasonable (admittedly, not perfect) description of this hand. That is my choice.

#11 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-03, 13:36

8 tricks is "almost" making 3N. My point is that even any random 5-6 count partner has will likely at least be enough to make opponents find the lead, if it isn't absolutely cold. The 3N bid can't show 9 sure tricks because that's a 2 opening, and there is no real point in having two separate sequences for a strong minor one-suiter. That's the point of 1m-foo-3N. It keeps us out of 3N when parter is totally broke...it's the single suited 2 opener minus a trick-trick and a half.

#12 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-September-03, 13:48

I think a 19-20 NT is automatic with this if you have it.

If 1d/2n is 18-19 (as with a 15-17 nt) I'm worried I have too much and would not take issue if partner opened a 20-21 2N. I think I would still open 1D and rebid 2N, close as it is.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#13 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-04, 01:18

View Posteagles123, on 2013-September-02, 07:57, said:

I broke the rules on this one in 2 ways, firstly 2NT rebid should be 19-20 and secondly its not a "textbook" balanced hand if you like. My thought was, 1) 3D would be non-forcing whereas 2NT is game forcing and I think we definitely belong in game even if P is really minimum. 2) NT is probably best played from my side due to Kx holding in Spades. Again it worked well (everything seemed to work today, you know when the opps go 6NT - 6 on one of the first boards it's probably gonna be a good day :lol:) but again not sure if the judgement is ok or lucky.

Thanks,

Eagles

The 2NT rebid is horrendous It promised cover in the black suits yet, in the example hand,it shows the Clubs are threadbare. If partner bids 3NT assuming the clubs are guarded and a club is led,you will have some explaining to do(!) Correct action is to bid 3D showing
a solid 6card plus suit. Of course,if you're a gambler and a speculator,you could always open 3NT instead of 1D (!) :D
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#14 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-04, 01:22

And 2NT is not forcing,no NT bid ever is. It is highly invitational.But they are limit bids.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#15 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-04, 03:41

I would also bid an apparently horrendous 2NT. Stoppers are for bottles.

#16 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-September-04, 03:49

2NT seems like an underbid to me so 3NT should be best. Loads of ways we can make it.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-04, 05:06

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-04, 01:22, said:

And 2NT is not forcing,no NT bid ever is. It is highly invitational.But they are limit bids.

I guess you do not play 2/1 then; nor Kokish; nor any form of Blackwood. There are plenty of examples around of forcing NT bids.

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-04, 01:18, said:

The 2NT rebid is horrendous It promised cover in the black suits yet, in the example hand,it shows the Clubs are threadbare.

It does what? What do you rebid with a normal (23)53 19 count with xxx then? This is particularly bad avice given that we are in the N/B forum. A 2NT rebid shows the appropriate range and a (semi-)balanced hand. Punkt. The only realistic possibilties for a rebid on the OP hand within a standard system are 2NT and 3NT. YOu make the decision depending on how precisely the partnership has defined 3NT. The default rebid would be 2NT absent any special sgreements. It does not promise a club stopper.
(-: Zel :-)

#18 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-04, 13:57

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-04, 01:18, said:

The 2NT rebid is horrendous It promised cover in the black suits yet, in the example hand,it shows the Clubs are threadbare. If partner bids 3NT assuming the clubs are guarded and a club is led,you will have some explaining to do(!) Correct action is to bid 3D showing
a solid 6card plus suit. Of course,if you're a gambler and a speculator,you could always open 3NT instead of 1D (!) :D

Hi, thanks for your comments, just wondering how you would bid if say one of the low diamonds became a low heart? I wouldn't have cover in the black suits then either? Also for us 2NT rebid is a game force so sorry to disappoint!

Thanks,

Eagles

#19 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2013-September-04, 16:19

View Posteagles123, on 2013-September-04, 13:57, said:

Hi, thanks for your comments, just wondering how you would bid if say one of the low diamonds became a low heart? I wouldn't have cover in the black suits then either? Also for us 2NT rebid is a game force so sorry to disappoint!

Thanks,

Eagles

2NT just the same. If you have 3 check-back bid in your tool kit, then you can find a 5-3 heart fit if there is one.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#20 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-September-04, 17:27

View PostWackojack, on 2013-September-04, 16:19, said:

2NT just the same. If you have 3 check-back bid in your tool kit, then you can find a 5-3 heart fit if there is one.

I think he was rhetorically asking philG, which demonstrates that eagles has graduated to I/A :)
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users