• 4 Pages +

Crazy or Not Part 2 2NT Rebid

#41 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2013-September-11, 04:35

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-September-09, 09:51, said:

What I was saying was that your expectation is misguided and 2NT should not actually promise such guards. Fortunately Zelandakah has already stated quite eloquently everything else I may have wanted to say, so I shall simply concur with him in every regard.

The Blind leading the Blind(!) :P
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#42 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-September-11, 04:56

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-04, 01:22, said:

And 2NT is not forcing,no NT bid ever is. It is highly invitational.But they are limit bids.

Firstly 2NT is a good description of the hand. Secondly NT bids can of course be forcing viz:
1M 1NT forcing
Serious 3NT and many other examples.
1H 4h 4NT.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#43 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-September-11, 05:17

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-11, 04:33, said:

I don't profess to be perfect,unlike some "pontificates" on this forum(!) I have played bridge for 30 years,mostly at an advanced level so that does not make me a wet behind the ears either(!) And a gentle word of advice in return...."Judge not,that ye be not judged" I assume this forum is democratic and open; in that case I have right to my opinion too. You are free to concur or dispute at your leisure. I may not agree with all you post here either...but I will defend to the death your right to say it(!)

Reading your posts on here makes me doubt that and I don't claim to be anything other than a weak intermediate player at best.

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#44 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-11, 05:32

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-11, 04:33, said:

And a gentle word of advice in return...

Zel's gentle word of advice was really meant constructively and I think you should think about what he says seriously, rather than fighting back. Since he is not fighting against you. Zel is one of the friendlier posters here.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#45 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-11, 05:42

View Posteagles123, on 2013-September-04, 13:57, said:

Hi, thanks for your comments, just wondering how you would bid if say one of the low diamonds became a low heart? I wouldn't have cover in the black suits then either? Also for us 2NT rebid is a game force so sorry to disappoint!

Thanks,

Eagles

Exchange the low for a low and all you can do is rebid 2 You have 3 cards
but this is not enough to support partner who may only have a 4 card suit(responder is allowed to bid a 4 card major)
The suit is rebiddable due to it's strength and solidity.

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess

#46 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-11, 05:55

View Posteagles123, on 2013-September-11, 05:17, said:

Reading your posts on here makes me doubt that and I don't claim to be anything other than a weak intermediate player at best.

Eagles

I too,was once a novice at this game. There is no easy way to advancement at any game or sport. Anyone who tells you
otherwise is either a liar or a fool. In bridge,like any endeavour, you learn the tricks of the trade through the School of Hard Knocks
and the College of Disappointment then graduate to the University of Humilation Those who win Olympic medals didn't get them by
trading vouchers for them. They gained them through intense practice,sustained learning,total dedication and willing to accept constructive criticism. It's the last thing that people find the greatest hurdle to overcome.
You must do the same if you want to play this game well.

#47 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-11, 06:44

I have hardly ever questioned any advice i've recieved on this forum but if you're suggesting after 1D - 1H with 2353 19 count and no club stop i should rebid 2D i struggle to accept you are an advanced player. That just seems like a totally crazy bid to me. If I didn't want advice I would either be arguing back the whole time or not posting on here at all!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#48 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-11, 07:21

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-11, 04:21, said:

Q What is the difference between an amateur and a professional?
A An amateur practices until they get it right. A professional practices until they NEVER GET IT WRONG
(There is also a big gulf in the way the two think)

I fail to see how that is a response to my post which you quoted.

You remind me much of the many weak players on BBO who identify themselves as advanced or expert, then play very poorly, making fundamental mistakes. They then proceed to lecture partner or ops (or in this case, forum members) with statements that are hilariously wrong. The puffed up pride and self-certainty only add to the amusement.

Anyway, I have decided to classify you as a troll. As such, no further responses.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#49 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-September-11, 18:06

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-11, 05:55, said:

I too,was once a novice at this game. There is no easy way to advancement at any game or sport. Anyone who tells you
otherwise is either a liar or a fool. In bridge,like any endeavour, you learn the tricks of the trade through the School of Hard Knocks
and the College of Disappointment then graduate to the University of Humilation Those who win Olympic medals didn't get them by
trading vouchers for them. They gained them through intense practice,sustained learning,total dedication and willing to accept constructive criticism. It's the last thing that people find the greatest hurdle to overcome.
You must do the same if you want to play this game well.

Based on post #45 I still think you are a novice. Replace 1 small D with a H and you rebid 2D on a 18 count!
Just a quick question, Phil - have you posted here before using a numeric nic?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#50 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 00:23

I generally take the view that if there is *one* unbid suit then it behoves the partnership to investigate, if possible, whether between them they have a guard in that suit before committing to NT (or if the opponents have bid a suit). It also helps to right-side the contract if you allow the hand with the guard to be the one to bid NT. That was one of the reasons that fourth suit forcing was invented. And by the time that there is just one unbid suit then it is likely that the partners will by then have described the fundamental natures of their hands (balanced, values, that sort of thing), so enabling that sort of fine tuning. If there are two unbid suits one of which is at risk of being wide open then yes there is certainly a risk, but there may be other (greater) risks in otherwise distorting your hand description to cater for it. With a singleton or void there is usually a way to get it across. With a balanced hand it is not so likely.

Cast your mind back a half a century and it was frowned upon to open 1NT without a guard in every suit. In the early days you needed at least one Ace.
"...Who bids Notrumps without an Ace
must be a fool in any case"

These requirements have rightly been consigned to the dustbin of history.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#51 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 07:58

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-September-11, 04:17, said:

Huh? I thought we were talking about
1-1
2NT-3*

This is normally forcing and shows 5+ hearts. Opener raises with 3-card support (or bids a 4-card spade suit first and then corrects 3NT to 4).

Whether you play 5-card majors or not is immaterial. But of course, if you play NMF or something similar you can agree to play 3 as non-forcing.

Let's remember what we were taught as novices. When you bid a suit,you are initially proposing it as a potential
trump suit and also as a lead suggestion to partner if he becomes the opening leader. It follows,therefore,you should have reasonable
cards in it K1098x is quite a decent suit and may well take more than one trick. However,Kxxxx is a king heading a load of rubbish. :(

#52 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 08:01

View Postbillw55, on 2013-September-11, 07:21, said:

I fail to see how that is a response to my post which you quoted.

You remind me much of the many weak players on BBO who identify themselves as advanced or expert, then play very poorly, making fundamental mistakes. They then proceed to lecture partner or ops (or in this case, forum members) with statements that are hilariously wrong. The puffed up pride and self-certainty only add to the amusement.

Anyway, I have decided to classify you as a troll. As such, no further responses.

Oh Goody....can I have that in writing (?!) :P

#53 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 08:05

View Postthe hog, on 2013-September-11, 18:06, said:

Based on post #45 I still think you are a novice. Replace 1 small D with a H and you rebid 2D on a 18 count!

I refuse to rise to your suburbanity. Being criticised by your ilk is like being
savaged by a dead sheep(!) :P

#54 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 08:15

View Postthe hog, on 2013-September-11, 18:06, said:

2 is the only sensible action on the hand. You cannot raise partner's s on the "assumption" he holds
5. And NTs are out of the question given the dodgy black suits.

#55 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 08:15

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-12, 08:15, said:

s
2 is the only sensible action on the hand. You cannot raise partner's s on the "assumption" he holds

so when p has a balanced 8 count and passes when 3N is cold whats my excuse in the post mortem?

seriously mate I am no expert but at the same time i'm no mug and I know what you are saying is total rubbish.

if I knew how to ignore someones posts I would do!!!

#56 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 08:22

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-12, 08:15, said:

And the fact the hand has 18 HCP is irrelevant. It has been proven time and again bridge players
cannot live by points alone. True,they are the caviar of the hand...but who can live on just caviar(?)
Points.therefore,should be a guide...not a muzzle.

#57 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 08:43

View Posteagles123, on 2013-September-12, 08:15, said:

so when p has a balanced 8 count and passes when 3N is cold whats my excuse in the post mortem?

seriously mate I am no expert but at the same time i'm no mug and I know what you are saying is total rubbish.

Tell me,how many times have you seen a partnership with a combined point count for game and the contract
has gone down????? I have seen it happen time and again. You fail to take into account several factors
such as will the suits break evenly or badly,will the finesses come off,the ability of the opposition,or most significantly,your own proneness to error?? In golf,how many times have you seen a professional player miss a short putt?? I know what I'm talking about. I've gained my experience the hard way...many years of playing
high stakes rubber bridge against very formidable opponents(!) You want to try it sometime. $100 a hundred with a strange partner and see how good YOU are(!) Bidding a game or slam is one thing,trying to make it is quite another B-)

#58 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

View Posteagles123, on 2013-September-12, 08:15, said:

Click on your own username in the upper right corner, that should give you a menu that includes "manage ignored users".

It is not very effective though as the worst trolls will be quoted ad nauseum.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#59 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

View PostPhilG007, on 2013-September-12, 08:43, said:

Tell me,how many times have you seen a partnership with a combined point count for game and the contract
has gone down????? I have seen it happen time and again. You fail to take into account several factors
such as will the suits break evenly or badly,will the finesses come off,the ability of the opposition,or most significantly,your own proneness to error?? In golf,how many times have you seen a professional player miss a short putt?? I know what I'm talking about. I've gained my experience the hard way...many years of playing
high stakes rubber bridge against very formidable opponents(!) You want to try it sometime. $100 a hundred with a strange partner and see how good YOU are(!) Bidding a game or slam is one thing,trying to make it is quite another B-)

would love someone to do a sim of balanced 8 count with at least 4 hearts opposite Kx AJX AKQJx xxx and see how often 3NT made

#60 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 12:54

View Posteagles123, on 2013-September-12, 08:43, said:

would love someone to do a sim of balanced 8 count with at least 4 hearts opposite Kx AJX AKQJx xxx and see how often 3NT made

Why not set up the hands yourself? It will need precise opponent hands to make 3NT with the cards that are displayed Often that's not the case. There's a big difference between an example hand and actuality playing in a tournament. When you are declarer and dummy
appears,you're on your own and have to discover the layout yourself.

• 4 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users