• You cannot reply to this topic

Origin of "transfer Walsh"

#1 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2012-October-16, 19:19

Typically I'm too lazy to search.

We are talking of methods where most balanced hands without 5cM open 1, forcing or not, maybe even including 4-2 minors.
then 1 = hearts, 1 = spades, 1 maybe diamonds, maybe balanced, no major, etc.

Have a vague idea that this is European (Italian?) in origin, that Americans adopted the method and (naturally) gave it an American name.

Please enlighten lazy me.

#2 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-16, 20:42

Bridge Guys attributes transfer responses to 1 to Micha Keijzers of the Netherlands. Transfer Walsh is the combining of this idea with the Walsh principle (now standard in 2/1 systems in North America) of by passing a longer diamond suit to show a four card major.

#3 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-17, 01:24

The convention has its origins in the Walsh System[2] invented by Richard Walsh- according to Wikipedia.

#4 User is offline   ulven 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Real name: Ulf Nilsson
    Semi-pro player.

Posted 2012-October-17, 05:44

Probably invented in more than one place. In Sweden they started in the mid-80's by the 'Scanian' group, without any outside influence.
Nilsland-Wirgren played transfer responses to 1C in the Miami Rosenblum 1986 (finished 3rd with Fallenius-Lindkvist).
"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
- R. Buckminster Fuller

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-October-17, 07:12

Shamelessly stolen from MOSCITO's opening structure ;-)
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-17, 07:58

It's a quite obvious thing to invent. Shogi and I started playing it a couple of months after we started playing duplicate, hadn't read any literature other than beginner's books at that time, so probably hundreds of other pairs came up with similar ideas. We played the 1NT response as a tranfer to diamonds, though, and
1-1
1-1NT*
as nonforcing with 4-4 in the majors. But otherwise pretty normal.
Bruggeman-Willemsen might have been the first Dutch top pair to play it, but they got the idea from Henk Uijterwaal. I think the Swedes were before him, though.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-17, 13:22

Walsh is non-obvious, but once you have adopted Walsh it seems pretty obvious to use the two lowest ranking bids for the two most common responses. Probably Walsh would have done this himself if he wasn't concerned about the method being legal in the US and achieving broad acceptance.

#8 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2012-October-20, 11:55

View Postmikestar13, on 2012-October-16, 20:42, said:

Bridge Guys attributes transfer responses to 1 to Micha Keijzers of the Netherlands. Transfer Walsh is the combining of this idea with the Walsh principle (now standard in 2/1 systems in North America) of by passing a longer diamond suit to show a four card major.

As I understand Walsh and teach it:

With a one bid hand, show your lowest 4-cd or better major.

With a hand worth two bids you bid up the line with 4-cd suits (not by passing diamonds] or bid your five card suit (even if it is diamonds).

In ACBLand you cannot play transfer responses to an opening bid of 1 unless in Mid-Chart game / tournament unless the 1 opening is artificial and forcing with 15 or more hcp.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users