BBO Discussion Forums: Opening 1NT with 5cM in a limited 1M system - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening 1NT with 5cM in a limited 1M system

Poll: Opening 1NT with 5cM in a limited 1M system (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Given the conditions outlined below, I am ____ likely to open 1NT with a 5cM than I would be playing a standard system.

1. much less (11 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. somewhat less (8 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. somewhat more (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

4. much more (5 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

5. equally (16 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

6. I would never open 1NT with a 5cM when playing this type of system. (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-August-30, 06:53

I wasn't sure where to post this one, apologies if it's in the wrong forum.

For purposes of this discussion, assume that your tendency when playing a standardish system (5cM, 15-17 NT, 1C=3+, etc.) is to freely open 1NT with a 5cM, if you judge the hand is otherwise suitable.

Now, assume you are playing a system where 1M is limited to something like 11-15, and also that you play a 1NT range that overlaps the limited range. How does this affect the likelihood that you might open 1NT with a 5cM? This could apply to Big /Big systems, but I'm also interested in responses from people who have experience playing 2-way club systems like Swedish Club.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#2 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-30, 10:32

In context of a 16+ 1 opening, we have no qualms opening 1N (14-16) with a 5CM332 when in range.
foobar on BBO

#3 User is offline   ulven 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Real name: Ulf Nilsson
    Semi-pro player.

Posted 2012-August-30, 15:02

I'm on TBW record for what I think is the right approach ;)
"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
- R. Buckminster Fuller

#4 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-30, 15:09

Including 5 card majors works better with a strong NT than a weak NT, regardless of whether 1M is limited.

#5 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-30, 16:35

I always open 1NT in range with 5332 hands. Opening 1NT is a very good thing for your results in general.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#6 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-30, 17:04

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-August-30, 16:35, said:

I always open 1NT in range with 5332 hands. Opening 1NT is a very good thing for your results in general.

This is my feeling too. I pretty close to always open 1NT with any in range 4333, 4432, 5332, 5m422, and 6m322 - regardless of if the nt range is 10-12, 10-13, 12-14, or 15-17. 1nt is just too awesome to miss!

#7 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-August-30, 17:56

Just to be a bit more explicit about the last part of my question: if you are playing something like a two-way club system where weak NT type hands are wrapped into your 1C opener, are people still as liberal about bidding 1C with a 5cM? Or is it suddenly a different story in that particular case?
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#8 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-30, 18:41

If you are around minimum 1M opening strength it is much better to open 1M. You have basically what pd will play you for, and you can pass most NF responses. You will reach better partials and light games by opening 1M.

If you have more than a minimum 1M by about an ace, you run into some trouble. Your hand will become hard to show in some sequences and you may land in the wrong strain and/or level. While there are some work-arounds for this (Bart, Gazzilli, etc) they tend to help where opener has extra while costing when opener is min. Since a strong club (or strong diamond, or polish club) rules out most strong 1M opens, you probably don't want to play these. It follows that you probably want to open 1nt (or whatever you open on strong NT hands) despite the 5M, but when you have a weak no trump strength you want to open 1M (and not polish club or precision 1d or a weak 1nt).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#9 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-30, 18:43

I want opponents to kick in their 1NT defenses
as often as I can.
Don't even care that my partner won't cater
for my 5cM in our counters.

#10 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-30, 23:26

I'm probably in the minority, but I've been beaten far too many times for my liking by opening a strong 1NT (Precision) when 1M would have done a LOT better. Of course, in Standard I am bidding 1NT (strong), I pretty much have to.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#11 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-August-31, 03:45

Depends a lot on your NT range imo. If you're playing weak NT I'm much more inclined to open 1M so you're well positioned for competitive auctions. When playing strong NT (say 13+-16) I prefer opening 1NT. This way I can easily play semiforcing 1NT responses over 1M, and safely pass my balanced hands after 1M-1NT.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#12 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 12:32

View PostFree, on 2012-August-31, 03:45, said:

Depends a lot on your NT range imo. If you're playing weak NT I'm much more inclined to open 1M so you're well positioned for competitive auctions. When playing strong NT (say 13+-16) I prefer opening 1NT. This way I can easily play semiforcing 1NT responses over 1M, and safely pass my balanced hands after 1M-1NT.

Is that all one needs for a "strong" NT these days?

#13 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 16:54

I have to abstain on this one--it really depends on the overall system. In, for example, Revision Club, 1NT is 16-18(!), so the choice with a weaker balanced hand is between 1 showing a balanced hand among other possibilities, or 1M. In this context, 1M is clearly superior. In other big club/variable club contexts, YMMV. But in general, whether the 1M opening is limited or not, the stronger the NT range, the more likely 1NT with a 5 card major is to be right. Kaplan-Sheinwold refused to open a 12-14 NT with a 5 card major better than xxxxx. And while EK wasn't right about everything, he felt strongly about this, according to the KS system book..

#14 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 22:03

Maybe this is just because I remember when it's sucked, but I feel like every once in a while I've gotten a really bad MP score opening (14-16 or 10-12) 1NT with a 5 card major when the field was in 2M/3M and we had an unstopped suit or two and our 5-3 or 5-4 only took 5 tricks. I'm sure I've also gotten good MP scores when I've played in 1NT in my 5-3 fit. Not to mention the times we have no fit and 1NT is a great spot.

That said, I echo what a few others have said in that I love opening 1NT. Especially in the auction 1H-1S-1NT now partner knows our range and I don't have to rebid 2m on a non-suit when I'm out of range for my rebid.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#15 User is offline   ulven 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Real name: Ulf Nilsson
    Semi-pro player.

Posted 2012-September-02, 06:33

View Postmikestar13, on 2012-September-01, 16:54, said:

...the choice with a weaker balanced hand is between 1♦ showing a balanced hand among other possibilities, or 1M. In this context, 1M is clearly superior.

I'm not convinced.
"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
- R. Buckminster Fuller

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-September-02, 07:39

View Postkayin801, on 2012-September-01, 22:03, said:

That said, I echo what a few others have said in that I love opening 1NT. Especially in the auction 1H-1S-1NT now partner knows our range and I don't have to rebid 2m on a non-suit when I'm out of range for my rebid.

Warped person that I am, an interesting thought came. For those with 12-14 NT, partner would indeed know the range in the auction 1H-1S-1NT. The split range is 10/11 OR 15.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-September-03, 01:56

In my system with limited openers (up to 17) it is systemic always to open 1NT with 5M332 shape. Indeed there is no provision to show such a hand after a 1M opening. I think that the benefits of knowing that 1M is unbalanced outweigh the potential plusses when 2M is right. If I included provision for 5332 hands within the 1M structure (ie giving a choice of openings) then I would be more inclined to open 1M since the benefits from knowing opener is unbalanced are gone.
(-: Zel :-)

#18 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-September-03, 02:20

1NT works equally well in a limited opening system as it does in an unlimited system. A balanced hand should be treated as one.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#19 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-September-03, 03:52

View Postthe hog, on 2012-September-03, 02:20, said:

1NT works equally well in a limited opening system as it does in an unlimited system.

I think everybody agrees with that. I think everybody also agrees that a limited 1M works better than an unlimited 1M. Therefore it seems obvious that opening 1M is more appealing in a limited system than in an unlimited system.

I would still open 1NT pretty much all the time fwiw.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#20 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2012-September-03, 06:01

View Posthan, on 2012-September-03, 03:52, said:

... I think everybody also agrees that a limited 1M works better than an unlimited 1M ...

Fantunes disagrees
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users