Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

some bugs?

#1 User is offline   levier17 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-April-18, 06:59

I am playing with GIBs for a long time now. They have very serious bidding mistakes. I know that somethings are hard to be understood by robots but I believe some mistakes it has can be corrected since they are not mistakes caused by the robotic logic. BBO is trying to improve everyday but I don't think GIBs take enough of that effort even if they deserve it since they are a big part of BBO now. There are lots of robot turneys. Can't there be a commission or something that we can write our complaints and they can try to advance GIB. I will try to write down some big mistakes.

1. It doesn't know that take out doubles are meant to be taken out. I am tried of playing 3H doubled where we can make 4S.
2. It switches almost all the time after it wins the opening lead in NT.
3. In most of the slam auctions it jumps to 5Major to offer slam. Why don't we ask for aces I can't understand. And even GIB doesn't know what 5M is meant for, or what it looks for in the partner's hand.

These are 3 major things that shouldn't be so hard to solve? I am sure there are lots of points that people playing with GIBs can add. I hope I could make myself clear :)

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-18, 08:25

View Postlevier17, on 2012-April-18, 06:59, said:

I am playing with GIBs for a long time now. They have very serious bidding mistakes. I know that somethings are hard to be understood by robots but I believe some mistakes it has can be corrected since they are not mistakes caused by the robotic logic. BBO is trying to improve everyday but I don't think GIBs take enough of that effort even if they deserve it since they are a big part of BBO now. There are lots of robot turneys. Can't there be a commission or something that we can write our complaints and they can try to advance GIB. I will try to write down some big mistakes.
Welcome to the Forums. This is exactly the place for you to write your complaints so that staff can try to advance GIB. When you do write to complain, it would be helpful if you posted a hand as an example, rather than just made a general comment.

1. It doesn't know that take out doubles are meant to be taken out. I am tried of playing 3H doubled where we can make 4S.
I couldn't find 3, but I think this will do as an example:
PS: I wonder what's up with that 2 bid.

3. In most of the slam auctions it jumps to 5Major to offer slam. Why don't we ask for aces I can't understand. And even GIB doesn't know what 5M is meant for, or what it looks for in the partner's hand.

The explanation of 5 includes "5- 8421HCP in H", so the main point of this bid is that GIB's hearts are not strong, so you need good hearts to continue.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-18, 08:46

These are 3 major things that shouldn't be so hard to solve? I am sure there are lots of points that people playing with GIBs can add. I hope I could make myself clear :)

Nothing about fixing GIB is easy. It's a complicated program, written by an AI expert, but he's no longer involved. None of us at BBO have real AI talent (I took one AI class 30 years ago). We can tweak its bidding rules, and fix obvious bugs, but we're not really up to the task of redesigning its algorithms.

1. It knows, but sometimes it does simulations that make it think that leaving the double in will work out better. Since it's hard to write rules that tell when to convert takeout doubles to penalty, we depend on these simulations.

2. Watch when GIB is defending against your NT games, and notice that it often makes passive leads against NT, rather than attacking leads from its strong suit. In that case, returning the suit is usually wrong -- it needs to switch to capture declarer's honors. This style actually seems to work out pretty well for it.

Anyway, GIB's defense isn't based on rules, it's based on simulations. So it's hard for us to make it do anything specific, like return partner's suit.

3. When it jumps to 5 of trumps, it's basically saying that it has weak trumps, but a good hand otherwise -- bid slam if you have a good trump suit.

#4 User is offline   levier17 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-April-18, 10:49

1. I think there should be a more hard written rule here since this is a very risky thing to do, something like we humans use. look at your length and strength in the suit. I am starting to get afraid of doubling :)
2. Can't there be a rule telling GIB to look if we lead small or big? like if we lead small return it, if we lead big don't return it?
3. I undertand the logic but isn't asking for aces easier to find out if our trump suit is good or not :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users