BBO Discussion Forums: Negative slam double - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Negative slam double is this how it works?

#1 User is offline   gerry 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Finite Mathematics, History

Posted 2012-March-22, 23:25

The last board in the Cayne-Amoils match reminded me of what we used to call the 'negative slam double'.

As I recall double in these dive auctions shows 1 trick and pass shows 0 or 2? Then pard dives with 1, doubles with 0 and passes with 2?

Is this right, it seems to work provided that you don't end up diving when you have three defensive tricks!

Is it all worth it? What do other people do?
With some the word liberty may mean for each man to do as he pleases with himself, and the product of his labor; while with others the same may mean for some men to do as they please...with the product of other men's labor.

The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as a liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of of liberty.

-A. Lincoln

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-23, 02:06

View Postgerry, on 2012-March-22, 23:25, said:

The last board in the Cayne-Amoils match reminded me of what we used to call the 'negative slam double'.

As I recall double in these dive auctions shows 1 trick and pass shows 0 or 2? Then pard dives with 1, doubles with 0 and passes with 2?

Is this right, it seems to work provided that you don't end up diving when you have three defensive tricks!

What does "dive" mean?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-23, 03:13

Do you mean the DOPI and DEPO conventions? Perhaps it would be easier if you write the specific auction as it is not clear exactly what you mean here (to me at least).
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#4 User is offline   gerry 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Finite Mathematics, History

Posted 2012-March-23, 04:10

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-March-23, 03:13, said:

Do you mean the DOPI and DEPO conventions? Perhaps it would be easier if you write the specific auction as it is not clear exactly what you mean here (to me at least).

You are considering a w/r sacrifice (dive) in 7 over the opponent's 6.

In order to avoid the ghost who walks (phantom) it might be useful to sort out combined defensive tricks. The idea, which I have not heard referred to in many years was that the player in the direct seat after the offending 6S would double to show exactly 1 defensive trick and pass with 0 or 2 defensive tricks. Now, partner knows what to do after a double, and after a pass s/he doubles with NO defensive trick, passes with 2 and takes the dive with 1.
With some the word liberty may mean for each man to do as he pleases with himself, and the product of his labor; while with others the same may mean for some men to do as they please...with the product of other men's labor.

The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as a liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of of liberty.

-A. Lincoln

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-March-23, 04:36

I have heard about this approach, but do not like it.

The main problem for me is: How can I rate my defensive tricks? If I hold Kx in trumps, maybe Qxx? Is the ace in our suit a trick? What about KQx in a side suit? Will they discard all losers on another side suit?
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-23, 04:53

OK, now I know what you mean. This comes under the general heading of "Cooperative Slam Doubles".

Negative Slam Double is:-
X = 0 tricks
P = 1-2 tricks (then partner doubles with 0 tricks)

Positive Slam Double is:-
X = 2 tricks
P = 0-1 tricks (then partner doubles with 1 trick)

Other possibilities exist as well. The problem is the difficulty in actually assessing what a trick is. In general I have seen more disasters with these methods than successes but I daresay that with expert judgement they are effective.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-23, 06:24

I don't know anyone who plays them, probably because they don't work very well - Codo's post explains why.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-23, 06:56

View PostVampyr, on 2012-March-23, 02:06, said:

What does "dive" mean?

Bid, intending to sacrifice.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#9 User is offline   Tomi2 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 08:30

there are two other things, that make such conventions difficult to play:

a) you give up a lightner double, because the double by the non-leader can be assigned to x y or z tricks

b) you can't always say, when its "cheap" to go one level higher. say your partner is passed and you decide to disturb opps strong club with 3dia on kqjxx 5th and a side queen, they double and partner raises this dias. they come to the point where they bid 6 clubs, that is finally making on guessing that queen for 1370 (or -100 if they misguess). due to your silly agreement you and your partner bid 6dia for 1400 :)
on the other hand if you want to prevent it, you may count that queen as a trick, let them maybe even play 6clubs doubled and help them to make?

had this convention on my card and it was one of the first i striked out

#10 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-March-23, 14:28

View Postgerry, on 2012-March-22, 23:25, said:

I had this agreement and it came up exactly once. Then we immediately scratched it. You can imagine why.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#11 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 14:46

that the player in the direct seat after the offending 6S would double to show exactly 1 defensive trick and pass with 0 or 2 defensive tricks. Now, partner knows what to do after a double, and after a pass s/he doubles with NO defensive trick, passes with 2 and takes the dive with 1.

This is inferior to:
direct double = straight penalty
reopening double = 1 trick

The reason is that double them more often when you want to (ie. have 2 tricks in direct seat)

Anyway, even in that improved version I hate this convention and I think it only causes disasters.

#12 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-March-23, 20:32

I played negative slam doubles with one regular partner for many years, and had good success with it. I don't recall any penalties collected but do recall several cooperative sacrifices found that would have been nailbiter decisions or quiet 1430s without it. (Also at least once where we chose between 1660 and 1700 but that was the fault of a subminimum preempt not the double.)

It is true you have to guess some what to do with Kx/Qxx. But you have to guess whether those are tricks when you sacrifice without information from the double too.

I have been a big believer in them ever since I first read the 2-page description of them in Kearse, and was quite surprised to discover they were so uncommonly used. Back in the mid-90s I had the misapprehension that they were in very wide use by advanced players and it was just a choice between negative and positive.

But I've encountered widespread fear of them, much as described in this thread, when I have proposed them to several semi-serious partners the past couple years.

#13 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-March-23, 21:23

I'd prefer to have some systemic agreement along these lines at the 5 level instead, when our side is def not FP, opps might be. Any suggestions?
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-24, 07:58

View PostSiegmund, on 2012-March-23, 20:32, said:

It is true you have to guess some what to do with Kx/Qxx. But you have to guess whether those are tricks when you sacrifice without information from the double too.

It's not just that you have to guess: it's also that you have to give away information. With a holding like Qxx, if you announce that you have a trick you may convert it into a non-trick.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-March-25, 12:37

The other problem is that playing them is a bit committal: apart from the difficulty of knowing when they apply compared to being able to make a Lightner double, you end up being obliged either to save or defend doubled. It's not uncommon on pre-emptive auctions that your save is going for as much as their slam, so sometimes we just want to pass them out quietly. If you only start pre-empting when you are cheap, you make it too easy for the opponents to know when to bid on.

#16 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-March-26, 16:15

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-March-23, 04:53, said:

OK, now I know what you mean. This comes under the general heading of "Cooperative Slam Doubles".

Negative Slam Double is:-
X = 0 tricks
P = 1-2 tricks (then partner doubles with 0 tricks)

Positive Slam Double is:-
X = 2 tricks
P = 0-1 tricks (then partner doubles with 1 trick)

Other possibilities exist as well. The problem is the difficulty in actually assessing what a trick is. In general I have seen more disasters with these methods than successes but I daresay that with expert judgement they are effective.

In his book Doubles for Takeout, Penalties and Profit, Bob Ewen mentions the negative slam double. As of the time of writing the book, he said that such doubles had been employed against him three times, by expert opponents each time, and the results were:

Making 6 doubled,
Making 6 doubled, with an overtrick,
Having the opponents sacrifice in 7 when his slam was going down.

He recommends against their use, precisely because it is so difficult to tell what's going to be a defensive trick in such circumstances.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users