• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding problem and a little ethics issue

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-05, 00:10

Teamgame, expert opps and pd with very few agreements.

I am sure some of you will disagree with 3 but as i said we didnt have any agreements so i just choosed the natural bid, and was planning to bid 4 NT over 4

Question 1 : What would you bid now ?

Question 2 : Pd went into tank before he bid 5. What does that mean to you ? Does it affect your decision in order to avoid ethical issues ?

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-March-05, 01:57

The tank suggests that he has no straight 5 club bid. :)

Maybe he strechted, maybe he has extras. Maybe he had liked to introduce a long spade suit but decided to show fit will work better. What about kqjxxx,x, Kxx, Jxx or so?

I would pass. We may miss a grand, but we may even be down already. What is new?

As a TD I would accept any descission you had made at the table. I cannot see that any bid was supported by partners tank.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 08:17

Hi,

I dont think, you will have problems, if you raise 5C to 6C.

I am not sure, you should do it, the risk, that you hit partner with
lots of wastage in spade is fairly huge.
Give p AK in clubs, and you still need p to hold the Ace of spades.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-05, 13:09

I screwed this one up badly. (not only by bidding 6 but more that i am embarrased to say here)

I thought, after the tank, that had i known pd has an easy 5 bid, i would have bid slam. But i knew from the tank that he didnt, and i was right. So i bid 6.

Pd held

Kxxx
xx
xxxx
JTx

Now some good pairs may solve this problem by agreements (such as 4NT is bidding 5 for save purpose and direct 5 serious or vice versa) but we didnt have any of these available. Was heavy preempt and i had to decide and made a bad decision. I thought pd was likely stiff in due to vulnerable preempts.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-March-05, 13:15

I'm passing - if slam has chances, so be it, but its not clear whether partner is saving or bidding to make, so I'm going to give him some leeway. His tank does not change my thought process - its not clear what the tank would imply.
Chris Gibson

#6 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 13:37

Without the UI I would probably pass, but I don't mind 6.

I think you are probably right that the UI suggests passing because it is more likely partner was contemplating pass or double, rather than 6, especially given our controls. So you did well to bid 6.

Opposite an expert I would bid 4NT over 2 and expect partner to understand. But your partner's 5 was horrible and is 99% to blame for the bad result.

#7 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 13:40

Pd went into tank before he bid 5♣. What does that mean to you ? Does it affect your decision in order to avoid ethical issues ?

Imo UI doesn't suggest any action here so you are free to do w/e you please.
I don't have law book nearby but I think I remember something about "LA's clearly suggested" there. No matter exact wording it seems TD's give players a pass in general in such situations (when both weaker and stronger hand than average is possible).

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-05, 16:14

I'm guessing that you bid 5N....

Anyway, I agree with 6

I don't think that his BIT demonstrably suggests either bidding or passing..as it turns out, partner tanked while looking for his marbles....didn't find them and bid anyway.

Actually, maybe what happened is that he wasn't sure he should bid....then realized that his tank placed you in a difficult situation.....a slow pass often does....and so thought he'd do the ethical thing and bid, thus (he erroneously thought) taking you off the hook. Litte did he know :P
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-06, 02:13

View Postnigel_k, on 2012-March-05, 13:37, said:

Opposite an expert I would bid 4NT over 2 and expect partner to understand.

I think even most intermediates are understanding this 4NT. After all, you don't need it for ace-asking when 4 is available, right? :)
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-March-06, 09:44

I was kibitzing this hand and I was surprised that you thought there was a significant BIT. From the peanut gallery it appeared that partner's 5C bid was made in a reasonable tempo, given that he was bidding over a skip bid. But obviously perception varies, especially online.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-06, 23:10

View Postdaveharty, on 2012-March-06, 09:44, said:

I was kibitzing this hand and I was surprised that you thought there was a significant BIT. From the peanut gallery it appeared that partner's 5C bid was made in a reasonable tempo, given that he was bidding over a skip bid. But obviously perception varies, especially online.

U maybe right, it cld my connection. But it seemed to me as if he tanked for at least 45 seconds.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-06, 23:16

View Postnigel_k, on 2012-March-05, 13:37, said:

Opposite an expert I would bid 4NT over 2 and expect partner to understand. But your partner's 5 was horrible and is 99% to blame for the bad result.

I also play 4NT as minors here, and my pd was expert, he would understand it had i chosen to bid 4NT. But i dont think this hand is good enough for this bid, i would take 4NT much more serious, but i maybe wrong, maybe i am too conservative when it comes to 2 suiter hands over a preempt.

#13 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-06, 23:48

View PostMrAce, on 2012-March-05, 00:10, said:

Teamgame, expert opps and pd with very few agreements.

I am sure some of you will disagree with 3 but as i said we didnt have any agreements so i just choosed the natural bid, and was planning to bid 4 NT over 4

Question 1 : What would you bid now ?

Question 2 : Pd went into tank before he bid 5. What does that mean to you ? Does it affect your decision in order to avoid ethical issues ?

fwiw I would assume pard is 4=1=4=4 with less than slam force

I would bid 6c over 5c......hope I guessed right

Axxx...x....xxxx...AKxx gives us some play or even less.

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-08, 09:10

if partner has Axxx 6 will have chances to make, and he can have a lot more. I would always raise.

BW you forgot to tell us the vulnerability untill your second post.

#15 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-08, 16:50

I wouldn't worry too much about the UI, because all that the tank indicates is that pard considered a number of options (including X, 4S, etc.) before bidding 5.

However, given the concerns about trump suit quality and wastage, I would P even if 5 was bid in tempo...
foobar on BBO

#16 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2012-March-08, 23:17

Opps were vulnerable.
Kevin Fay

#17 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-March-09, 09:42

Many people play that a jump to 4H also shows the minors but is stronger than 4NT. In that case this hand is certainly good enough for 4NT.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#18 User is offline   skaftij 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Travel, Fishing

Posted 2012-March-12, 12:27

UI or not, I'd bid 6. Prefer immediate 4NT.
If I have made this specific agreement, then I will keep the agreement.
A partner can convince me to play nearly anything, but if partner breaks agreements, then you will fairly fast reach the point, that I wont be interested in playing any longer. Stick to your agreements.
Marlowe (Uwe Gebhardt)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users