• You cannot reply to this topic

Matchpoint double ?

#1 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-11, 17:13

I am completely lost on this one:
Matchpoints, decent opps.

We played polish club on the occasion but that shouldn't concern you that much. In standard (in version when you open 1C with 4-4) the situation would be the same.
So, here our double would be t/o. Should we double ?

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 19:10

Assuming 2D is natural I do not understand balancing. We have the worst diamond holding ever and will not be playing there. We are vul. Even on a good day when partner bids 3C it is likely to start diamond to the ace and a diamond ruff or something. It also will not be that hard for them to rip us if it's right, and we might just go down 2. And who knows if they're making it or not, it's not like if partner passes I will be thrilled. Sometimes it's just their hand.

#3 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 19:11

Spades are the boss suit.
I surrender to that on this hand.
Partner does not fit clubs, nor 5xHearts.
Try 3H on our 3-4 fit? Very aggressive, but close.

#4 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-March-11, 20:36

Whether a double last round would be heart support or show values in diamonds, I wish I had done it, to help partner make an informed decision this round. Now, I let it go.

#5 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-12, 02:45

Whether a double last round would be heart support or show values in diamonds, I wish I had done it, to help partner make an informed decision this round. Now, I let it go.

We discussed it too. I thought double should be for penalty while my partner wasn't sure.

Assuming 2D is natural I do not understand balancing. We have the worst diamond holding ever and will not be playing there.

The idea of the double is that it looks like we have at least balance of points and all the honors lay good for us (diamonds behind diamonds, spades behind spades) so it looks like they probably won't make.
This being polish club also gives a chance for 4-4 club fit (partner couldn't "raise" clubs after 2S).

Anyway I passed and we score +100 worth 59% of matchpoints (declarer lost a trick along the way).
Partner had: QJxx ATxx Jxx xx.

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-12, 02:59

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-March-12, 02:45, said:

We discussed it too. I thought double should be for penalty while my partner wasn't sure.

The idea of the double is that it looks like we have at least balance of points and all the honors lay good for us (diamonds behind diamonds, spades behind spades) so it looks like they probably won't make.
This being polish club also gives a chance for 4-4 club fit (partner couldn't "raise" clubs after 2S).

Anyway I passed and we score +100 worth 59% of matchpoints (declarer lost a trick along the way).
Partner had: QJxx ATxx Jxx xx.

Our diamonds are not "behind" the diamonds, we have the KQ and LHO usually has a stiff or a doubleton. I think my diamond holding is very bad compared to the ace for both offense and defense, our 5 points may be worth nothing on defense, and they may get a ruff if we declare.

Likewise, I don't see a reason to think that we have spades behind the spades, we don't even know that partner has 4 spades and even if he does we do not know that he holds 2 honors.

Yes, we might find a 4-4 club fit, but again I am not even sure why we want to, we are vulnerable and have this poor diamond holding. At the end of the day having the balance of the points is not a convincing reason to me to bid to the 3 level vulnerable, or to want to defend 2S X when they have a long trump suit, and many of our honors look bad. Sometimes people with a 6-1 spade fit and 19 HCP make 2S, it is really not that surprising when we hold this hand.

#7 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-12, 17:32

Ok, I get it. I was just overthinking this one :)

#8 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-12, 19:46

If double on the second round would show Diamonds, that would have been a reasonable choice.

Over 2S pass is obvious. You could easily be turning +50 into -100.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users