BBO Discussion Forums: 2nd round decision - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2nd round decision IMPs

Poll: What call do you make? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What call do you make?

1. Pass (11 votes [40.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

2. Double (11 votes [40.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

3. 4NT (2 votes [7.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

4. 5C (2 votes [7.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

5. Other (1 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-05, 22:39

You are East.

IMPs, favourable vulnerability.

What do you do now?

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-March-06, 00:11

Double.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-06, 00:51

Double. Did partner squirm before passing my 3NT because of his void, suggesting some other L.A., like pass or 5C?

I am locked in to double if that was the case, but am happy with the double anyway.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-06, 01:19

Are you guys serious with double? I guess you have a trick! RHO likely has 3 diamonds and a stiff club and thus didn't bid over the X in case we were going to play majors, and didn't double 3N since he guessed we had lots of club tricks.

I view my options as pass or 4N. I would pass but I would have bid 3N with Kxx xx Kxx QJxxx and the like so I don't have to have this much playing strength.

BTW I think partner should figure out that he can pull 4N to 5C with (54)04 and a weakish hand since I must have this hand type for it. The more I think about it the more I like 4N since that is likely partners hand type. On the other hand he is probably going to balance with 4M most of the time with that so pass should be fine.

#5 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-06, 03:38

I like 4N.

#6 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-March-06, 08:38

4N feels right to me. I see now why pass makes sense but that would not have occurred to me at the table.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-06, 09:03

I'm not sure that I can trust partner to pull to 5..besides, I think that we are far more likely to make 5 than 4N, no matter what partner holds. On a diamond lead, we need to run the first 10 tricks...if N gets in before we do so, we lose the rest of the tricks. I'm bidding 5. I agree that double seems crazy.....my guess is that N is something like 5431/4531. If I could trust partner, I'd be a lot happier with 4N
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-06, 10:09

Just feels like a pass to me. I wasnt that sure I was making 3N.

I have a ten count, a fair proportion of which is in their suit, and it looks like partner is very shape suitable for his double. Could I not just be hanging him good and proper by doubling 4d, or even by bidding 5c?

Partner can still double 4d if he has extras, and now I am happy to bid 4n/5c, or even to pass 4dx, but if partner just has some typical 4414 12 count or so, am I really even close to making 5c?

Axxx
Axxx
x
Axxx

Is a giant hand (in the context of hands that would pass 4d out), and 5c still needs some work, ruff two diamonds bring the trumps in and have to pitch a spade on a heart winner.

If partner is shape suitable and 15+ I would expect him to double 4d when it comes round to him, since I have bid 3N, maybe even less than that if hard values and extreme shape. like 4405.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#9 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-06, 10:12

PS: Also upvote kudos for finding a poll question on which none of phil, mikeh, frances and jlall agree with each other. Now we just need gnasher in for a double to complete the set.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#10 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-March-06, 10:57

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-March-06, 10:12, said:

PS: Also upvote kudos for finding a poll question on which none of phil, mikeh, frances and jlall agree with each other. Now we just need gnasher in for a double to complete the set.

I voted other because I know the hand, so I thought I shouldn't vote, but I wanted to see what the voting indicated.

#11 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-06, 11:15

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-March-06, 10:57, said:

I voted other because I know the hand, so I thought I shouldn't vote, but I wanted to see what the voting indicated.

I was wondering what alternative you might have in mind and why you were keeping us in suspense! You can always click on "show results", which will show you what the votes look like without registering a vote of your own.

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-06, 11:16

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-March-06, 10:57, said:

Darn, and I thought your vote was intended as humor, since there aren't any other possibilities.

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-06, 12:03

I'd make a forcing pass. If partner doubles, I hope that will mean he has a trump to lead.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-March-06, 12:09

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-06, 12:03, said:

I'd make a forcing pass. If partner doubles, I hope that will mean he has a trump to lead.

That's interesting, I don't think pass is forcing.

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-06, 12:16

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-06, 12:03, said:

Certainly forcing pass is a reasonable choice here, but at these colors are we really sure it is forcing? Or does it merely show that my 3NT advance the first time was a least-of- evils bid ---and/or doubt?

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-06, 12:25

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-March-06, 12:09, said:

That's interesting, I don't think pass is forcing.

Doesn't this fall into the category "When they wait for us to bid game, and then save"?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#17 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-06, 12:42

I don't think it should be forcing either, and if it were forcing I wouldn't pass. If partner is going to double with a random piece of crap because pass is forcing then I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting for it - if the colors were reversed then I would bid 4N or 5C instead.

I don't think this is like "we bid game on power and then they saved". Partner was under pressure to double with shortness, we were under pressure to bid 3N on any excuse, and the r/w opps are not going to be out on a limb.

#18 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-06, 13:09

I voted pass, thinking it is not forcing.

My view is that there are two rules in play here:

1. We have announced the high card values for game. Not the case here as the 3NT bidder has to do something and may not be especially strong.

2. They are obviously sacrificing. Also not the case as RHO was never in a position where his pass might end the auction, so could have anything.

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-06, 23:45

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-06, 12:25, said:

Doesn't this fall into the category "When they wait for us to bid game, and then save"?

No imo. Vulnerability says otherwise.

To me this pass is not forcing.

Anyway i suspect they are either making or close to making this 4, at least we know that the guy who bid 4 believes that they go down at most 1 with whatever he sees in his hand.

Pd has perfect shape for his DBL, thus he may not have too many beans neccesarilly. I would never bid 4 NT tho without an ace. 4NT needs to catch pd with 3 aces, or 2 aces + 3 quick tricks in the major suit that we have an ace. I agree with MikeH that most of the hands that makes 4NT will also make 5, but not vice versa.

I think i would bid 5
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#20 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-March-07, 01:51

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-06, 12:25, said:

No imo. Funny, I had almost exactly this argument irl recently, to me pass then 4D is not them waiting when their pass was over a forcing bid and especially a double. The reason is obviously that they could manipulate/exploit us by passing and then bidding, and this manipulation would be free. So basically I think them "waiting" is not a piece of info that should be used.

Now, you could argue that that is theoretical and people don't do that irl, however RHO need not be walking the dog with his auction, he rates to have length in both majors and perhaps was waiting to see whether we'd end in 3 or 4 of a major so he could double before raising to a non game level. I think this can happen irl with no intent on exploiting this exact situation. And it makes sense when we have our actual hand, long clubs, that RHO was scared we'd make on the club suit, and perhaps on aces, with a hand like KQJxx AQTx xxx x or something of that nature (if this is a bit too strong, change it a little).

Also, I feel like playing forcing passes when they are red/white, neither of our side has promised that much (double could be as low as 10 or 11, 3N could be as low as 7 or 8), it violates (my?) common sense to play pass as forcing. I know I have written this before but I think making the agreement to not play forcing passes w/r makes a lot of sense, and I have played that way...maybe sometimes it doesn't but I do think it's better than "normal" forcing pass rules.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users