BBO Discussion Forums: 2nd round decision - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2nd round decision IMPs

Poll: What call do you make? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What call do you make?

1. Pass (11 votes [40.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

2. Double (11 votes [40.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

3. 4NT (2 votes [7.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

4. 5C (2 votes [7.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

5. Other (1 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-07, 03:50

This needs a lot of table feeling, I mean, against 80%+ players I know by the name I would double because they just suck.

#22 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-07, 10:44

View PostFluffy, on 2012-March-07, 03:50, said:

This needs a lot of table feeling, I mean, against 80%+ players I know by the name I would double because they just suck.

When this occurred at the table, the opponents were a pair of Welsh internationals.

#23 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-07, 21:59

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-06, 12:25, said:

Doesn't this fall into the category "When they wait for us to bid game, and then save"?

Also, even if we agree for the sake of argument that pass is forcing, then why would you pass ? Are you planning to pass if pd bids 4M ? Because if not then u will be representing a huge hand which u dont have, no ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#24 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-07, 22:16

View PostMrAce, on 2012-March-07, 21:59, said:

Also, even if we agree for the sake of argument that pass is forcing, then why would you pass ? Are you planning to pass if pd bids 4M ? Because if not then u will be representing a huge hand which u dont have, no ?

No, you would be representing a hand that would have sat for a double, but wants to bid over a hand that would not double.

#25 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 16:07

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-March-07, 01:51, said:

Also, I feel like playing forcing passes when they are red/white, neither of our side has promised that much (double could be as low as 10 or 11, 3N could be as low as 7 or 8), it violates (my?) common sense to play pass as forcing. I know I have written this before but I think making the agreement to not play forcing passes w/r makes a lot of sense, and I have played that way...maybe sometimes it doesn't but I do think it's better than "normal" forcing pass rules.

It's an interesting idea to agree that forcing passes never apply at this vulnerability. However, your other point is clearly correct. There's no reason to suppose that we would have bid above 1NT in an uncontested auction, so why should it necessarily be our hand? East/West were under a lot of pressure after the pre-empt. 3NT may have been the best call available to East on the previous round, but that does not necessarily mean that East expected to make it! Drifting a couple off in 3NT, even if doubled, scores better than 3x making.

#26 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 16:29

One of my teammates had this bidding problem at the table and he chose to double 4, which was not a success.

Another teammate criticised the double, saying that it was obvious to pass as RHO was clearly short in clubs and was worried about 3NT making, but that it wouldn't make any sense for RHO to compete to 4 at the vulnerabilty unless that contract was close to making. I suggested that following that logic it might be right to compete to 4NT, as RHO might be reluctant to double that as he would still be worried about the club suit, whilst LHO would not know enough to double even if he held a club stop. Meanwhile 4NT would have an outside chance of making.

The full hand was:

I was North at the other table. Thinking that I might want a spade lead, I bid 3 on the first round. East now bid 4 which drifted two off.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users