• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some doubts about fit jumps Robson and Segal

#1 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-09, 22:16

For several years now I've been playing Robson and Segal style fit-showing jumps. These have certainly gotten us good results on occasion, but I'm starting to doubt that this is the right way to play jump shifts. Comparing fit jumps to natural and weak, the frequency seems pretty similar. I ran the following sim:

(1) Opener has 11-15 points, 5+, more hearts than spades (i.e. A 1 opening in a pretty standard precision style).
(2) Opener's LHO has 10-16 points with 6+ (i.e .a 2 overcall; I know some hands with five clubs overcall too but it seemed hard to model since many of them would pass or double).
(3) Opener's partner has either: (3a) 5-10 points with 6+, at most 2, and two of the top three diamonds (3b) 4+ and 5+ with two of the top three diamonds.

The frequencies for (3a) 1.47% and (3b) 1.03%.

Now obviously your exact constraints for suit quality on a fit jump or weak jump will be more complex, and probably some hands without two of the top three diamonds will qualify in either case. However, both bids should have a decent diamond suit. Some of the maximum "constructive weak jumps" might actually be too good for the bid (i.e. 7 and ten points) but some of the "fit jumps" might also be better suited to make another call (club splinter or fit jump to the four level). Anyway, I don't claim these probabilities are exact or anything, but they do indicate there is not a big frequency difference in favor of fit jumps.

Of course, we also have to consider quality of results. And the fit jumps do generally get good results when they come up. However, the weak jump hands are nearly un-biddable when playing fit jumps... whereas the fit jumps can normally make some other sort of raise that is less descriptive about location of values but still gets the basic message of support and strength across.

I'm very much considering switching back to weak jumps. Anyone else thought much about this?
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#2 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2012-January-09, 22:40

Read the Bloom/Colchamiro article "The Second Fit" in the December (2011) The Bridge World (in short, SF is better than LOTT), and understand that it is the length in the second suit that does the work. Next, determine the frequency of the fit jump without the 2-of-the-top-3 requirement.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-09, 22:56

Sure, fit jump is more frequent (by about 3:1 ratio) if you have absolutely no requirements on suit quality or overall strength (along with the previously specified pretty strict requirements on the weak jump). Do you really think you will get good results from your fit jumps in this case? My experience has been that fit jumps on lousy suits usually lead to bad results (yes, I have tried it).

I'm not going to buy a copy of the bridge world just to read this article.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-January-09, 23:28

My fit-jumps promise 2 of the top 3, but only 3 trumps. I imagine that too makes them much more frequent than weak jumps.

I can remember some number of good games and slams found only because I was playing fit-jumps. I have a hard time remembering many hands where I thought "gee, I wish I had a weak jump available here." There may have been some... but I think the potential for a fit-jump to swing a board to our side is a lot bigger than a WJS's is.

#5 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-10, 01:46

I have doubts about it, but I also have doubts about weak jump shifts opposite a major. Maybe this isn't what you were looking for, but I've been thinking of a third way.

In our system, we only allow for 1H-2S and 1M-3C as weak jump shifts in uncontested auctions in part because we use other jump shifts to show raises and in part because we seldom have a suit that wants to preempt against a pattern that has 5+ non-fitting cards. After an overcall, I know we're more likely to have a weak jump shift hand, but we're also constrained for space to show fits.

I have reservations about the Robson-Segal structure (although we presently use it). As I understand it...

cue=3-cd limit raise+
2N-4-cd limit raise+
3M=4-cd mixed raise
FSJs
splinters

Double then has to serve as both negative and an invitational hand that would ordinarily make a natural 2N bid. I know 2N isn't a wonderful contract, but it seems like I have lots of hands that have a stopper and invitational strength. The Robson-Segal double feels overloaded. Partner must wonder whether I really have the other major or minors.

Also not sure about 3M as mixed. I think most people have altered their structure so that 3M is weak and a mixed raise bids 2 and then competes to 3, but I don't think that's how Robson-Segal initially envisioned it. I think they wanted that the single raise would seldom bid again. Maybe I remember that wrong. Not sure.

So one point is that many people who play FSJs are not using the whole of Robson-Segal's structure and then they are frustrated when they don't have sufficient bids to adequately describe their raises. OTOH, Robson-Segal's structure seems to devote almost too much to raises.

I've wondered if instead of FSJs (at the 3-level anyway) that one could play some sort of Bergen raises...depending on space. I know that some folks play Bergen after

1H (1S)

which has the same or more space available. I know a lot of experts seem to frown on this, but then they often get dealt those hands that don't neatly fit into a fit-showing jump and then they wind up bidding 2H, 2S, and 3H a lot.

After

1H (2D)

At the 3-level, there isn't any room for FSJs at the 3-level, but after...

1S (2D)

there's only one and very valuable 3-level jump shift...3H. I think Robson-Segal assign both 3H and 4H for FSJs. I'm thinking there is a better use.

For 1S (2D) I kind of like...

dbl-negative
2H-hearts
2S-raise, often 3 trump
2N-natural
3C-clubs
3D-limit+, 3 trump
3H-limit+, 4 trump
3S-mixed raise

But even if this is not optimum, my point is that 3H might better be used as a Bergen-style raise. One could play these sorts of bids at the 3-level and FSJs at the 4-level (or 1H (2D) 3S etc).

Another point in this direction is that if one has something like the agreement that you have to have KQxxx or AJ9xx in the suit to make a FSJ and you have to have four trump (or three very good trump) and you are barred from having outside kings and queens, but you're allowed outside aces...then in total, you are more likely to have something like Kxxx xx KQxxx xx or xxxx Axx AJ9xx x than xxxx xx KQxxx xx. So lots of the time that one has a halfways decent suit one will have distribution and an outside card such that bidding to the 4-level is not much of a stretch....and at least it prepares partner for a 5-level decision.

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-January-10, 02:02

I think if you get that the frequencies of FJS and WJS are similar, you're doing something wrong. WJS always seemed to me to be much more frequent (at least, when I was playing FJS!). Obviously, high frequency alone does not high utility make.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#7 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-10, 02:13

straube, on 2012-January-10, 01:46, said:

For 1S (2D) I kind of like...

dbl-negative
2H-hearts
2S-raise, often 3 trump
2N-natural
3C-clubs
3D-limit+, 3 trump
3H-limit+, 4 trump
3S-mixed raise

This is tangential to the OP, but in that case why not play:

X: Negative
2: NFB
2S: Raise
2N: Natural
3: Clubs
3: , possible FSJ
3: raise
3: raise
foobar on BBO

#8 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-10, 02:54

I never understood fit jumps on bbo.......

They seem to play it means

whatever I say it means

if you need rules then you are novice/lousy player....

#9 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-January-10, 10:17

The problem with FJS is that it sometimes help the opponent to sacrifice too easily. (1H)--1S--(3m) (FSJ) with shortness in the 2nd suit and a small fit you can get a good sacrifice since you will be favorite to also have a double fit and you know your shortness is not ruffing partner values. FSJ with high requirement and no slam aspiration (or that doesnt set up FP) are simply not worth it IMO. I prefer loose requirements like 3trumps Hxx + a side suit with 2/3 or 3/5. Maybe it should depend on vulnerability.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#10 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-January-10, 10:56

I have found a fit jump over a minor into a major tends to be pretty pointless in a strong NT structure.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-January-10, 10:57

Fit-jumps appear to better than WJS in theory. But if you only allow for pure fit jumps, as in say

1H (dbl) 3C

xx
Kxxx
xx
AQJxx

then you're gonna wait a LOOOOOONG time to use them. In accordance to it, I play fit-jumps as simply "willing to go to the 3 level, with fit and a side suit". That would mean something like

xx
Kxx
xxxx
AQJx

certainly qualifies.

#12 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-10, 13:22

I tend to agree with Adam. With a FJS, a lot of things have to fall into place for the FJS to lead to a better result than you would have got without it. Obviously when you're writing a book it's not hard to come up with a couple of examples but you may wait a while for one in real life.

A WJS seems to me to be more likely to gain when it comes up. I also think they are more common.

However, it may be a good compromise to play FSJ at the four level (or only when a double jump) and WJS at the three level. If you have something like xx Kxxx KQxxx xx and it starts 1-2 then maybe it could be right to sell out to 3 or 4 but probably it's tactically better to just bid 4.

Also, I really don't like the idea of FJS on a four card suit. If you have AQJx and partner has Kxx he is going to like that holding but really it is pretty neutral in respect to offensive vs defense. Even Kxxx opposite AQJx is not necessarily anything to get excited about.

#13 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-10, 13:42

I hate fit jumps in most auctions. Weak jumps get a bad rap, they are very useful. Especially in the auction awm mentioned, 1H (2C), I cannot imagine playing fit jumps over weak jumps there. Showing a good long diamond suit without that many points is not only useful, there is no other way to bid it. Showing diamonds with a heart fit is not only not that useful imo, but there are other ways to bid it where you can at least show one good feature, and maybe end up showing both (cuebid to raise, or bid 2D and raise hearts next). I'm not saying fit jumps are useless, but they handle a hand that has many reasonable ways to bid it, and they are not as useful as weak jumps in my opinion.

#14 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-January-10, 13:44

And frequency is way less important than:

A) Is there another bid for this hand type?
B) How useful is it to show this hand type?

Weak jump shifts crushes fit jumps in those categories to me. Not to mention that it is more important to actually preempt the opponents when you have a weak hand and a long suit.

#15 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2012-January-10, 15:03

Justin, if I played with you, I'd be happy to play WJS. But as I said in the other thread, most "we play WJS by default" players around here can't wait to use their toy - and that scares me.

"it's [] important to preempt the opponents when you have a weak hand and a long suit" is fine, but my partners catch me with a 6-card major and 18 high (and they have a rag doubleton in my suit), or I can't tell if AJx is enough to roll 3NT. Or, they catch me with a flat 13, and nobody can make anything. And we've announced a(t least a partial) misfit, the points are "basically" shared; what to do is pretty highlighted. FJS says "keep bidding, opps, lots of shape", sure, but WJS says "take your plus, opps, everything's breaking badly".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#16 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-10, 15:24

JLOGIC, on 2012-January-10, 13:42, said:

I hate fit jumps in most auctions. Weak jumps get a bad rap, they are very useful. Especially in the auction awm mentioned, 1H (2C), I cannot imagine playing fit jumps over weak jumps there. Showing a good long diamond suit without that many points is not only useful, there is no other way to bid it. Showing diamonds with a heart fit is not only not that useful imo, but there are other ways to bid it where you can at least show one good feature, and maybe end up showing both (cuebid to raise, or bid 2D and raise hearts next). I'm not saying fit jumps are useless, but they handle a hand that has many reasonable ways to bid it, and they are not as useful as weak jumps in my opinion.

Do you think 2N should be natural or some kind of mixed raise or limit raise+ with four trump a la Robson-Segal?

What do you think of FSJs at the 4-level (or 3S when our suit is hearts)? How would you amend the following?

1S (2D)

.....2H-H, f
.....2S-raise, mixed raise
.....2N-natural?
.....3C-natural
.....3D-LR+, 3 or 4 trump
.....3H-WJS?
.....3S-weak?
.....3N-natural
.....4C-FSJ?
.....4D-splinter
.....4H-FSJ?

#17 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-January-10, 15:39

Fit jumps to 4 of a minor are fine in competitive auctions imo, mainly because "weak" becomes less useful/frequent. I am also fine just playing splinters though, but if RHO has bid a suit it becomes less likely that you have a splinter in a different suit obviously. I am pretty indifferent about it in that case.

I think playing 1S 2D 4H as a fit jump would be extremely horrible though, jumps to game in competitive auctions should not be fit/splinter/exclusion, they should be to play. I would be surprised if many felt otherwise.

Regarding all of the various raises, I don't have a strong opinion. I will say that until maybe 2 years ago I had a strong opinion that the world was too raise happy, and that natural 2N bids were really important, but I have come around, mainly because Meckwell play all of those raises, so all of my friends started playing them too because they are epic heroes obv.

Currently in that auction with Joe I would play that:

2N=4 card limit+
3D=3 card limit+
3H=mixed raise
3S=preemptive.
4C=splinter

If the auction was 1S 2H I would play

2N=limit+
3H=mixed
3S=preemptive
4x=splinter

If the auction was 1S 2C I would play

2N=4 card limit+
3C=3 card limit+
3D=weak
3H=mixed raise
3S=preemptive
4m=splinter

I don't have a strong opinion on whether all of these raises are necessary, it does seem to help knowing partner has 4+ vs 3+ trumps though, and joes favorite bid seems to be showing a mixed raise so I guess having it available always is important. Missing the natural 2N bid has not yet cost me that I can remember, usually you can double or bid 3N or pass reasonably. It's possible that playing strong club and having a limited 1M opening makes a natural 2N less useful.

#18 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-January-10, 15:40

straube, on 2012-January-10, 15:24, said:

What do you think of FSJs at the 4-level (or 3S when our suit is hearts)? How would you amend the following?

I do not think that 3S over 1H 2m is analagous to 4 of a minor. I would always want to play 3S as weak there.

#19 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-January-10, 15:46

It is also possible to me that it's best to play 1H (whatever) 4m as a fit jump, but 1S (whatever) 4m as a splinter, not that I do this with anyone.

#20 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-10, 15:50

So the basic idea is that you have WJS to 3D when they overcall clubs and you have WJS when we open hearts and partner has spades. You always have a preemptive raise and a mixed raise (one below 3M) and you sometimes are able to split LR between 3 and 4 trump and sometimes not.

So 1H (2D)

2N-LR+ 3 or 4 trump
3D-mixed raise
3H-weak raise
3S-WJS

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users