• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-September-27, 18:25

playing 2/1, favourable vuln.

#2 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-September-27, 18:49

Well let me be the first to say that I pass this, even at favorable, unless I'm playing a 12-14 NT. I guarantee that I will be in the minority at any tournament, and probably on this bulletin board, and it won't always work out, but in the long run, I think its the best action.

KNR calls it 11.6, for what its worth.
"Phil" on BBO

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-September-27, 19:13

Pretty standard 1C opening in any system unless playing weak NT. Passing this is a losing action.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-27, 19:21

1D for me. With 10 of the 12 points in the 4 card suits, the hand isn't so bad.

Of course, it *should* be opened 1NT :P

Peter

#5 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-27, 21:08

In any system but 2/1, I open 1C.

I prefer more solid openings in 2/1.

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2004-September-27, 23:09

Not the most exciting 12 points, but nonetheless a standard opening bid in today's game :P

#7 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-27, 23:36

The_Hog, on Sep 28 2004, 01:13 AM, said:

Pretty standard 1C opening in any system unless playing weak NT. Passing this is a losing action.

I wonder...

If you are not playing a weak NT, then this sort of hand has to be opened with 1 of a minor.

This certainly makes it easier for LHO to overcall on a number of major suit hands on which they would be unable to open. Do the gains outweigh the losses?

The hand certainly has less going for it than eg KJxx AQxx xx Qxx

Eric

#8 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2004-September-28, 00:12

"This certainly makes it easier for LHO to overcall on a number of major suit hands on which they would be unable to open. Do the gains outweigh the losses?"

This approach is far too negative Eric; I could be hit by a bus when I am crossing the road, but that does not stop me from crossing it. Pass this hand and you will find it hard to convince partner you have these values later in the auction. If pd opens 1S you may survive with gadgets like Drury. If pd opens 1H what do you do? Bid 2m? Do you now blame pd for passing a 13 pt opener with no wonderful fit for you? Another 3NT gurgles down the drain.

Maybe you will find some French and US experts passing this as some of these are very conservative in their openings; those players who play a 4 handed rather than 2 handed game will open.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#9 User is offline   mikestar 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-September-28, 00:27

In 2/1 or SAYC I will pass this one. If my NT range includes 12 HCP, I will open 1N. I played a conservaive Precision with a 13-16 NT for years and got more good results than bad passing balanced 12's. Yes, once in a while you will miss a game, but you'll also get a lot of +200's on defense, sometimes because they refuse to take the possibility of you being this strong into account.

BTW, least anyone think I always advocate conservatism, note that I will open 2S at both vulnerable with KQTxx xxx xxx xx and often blast to slams.

#10 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2004-September-28, 02:05

Maybe I am being really thick here, but perhaps someone could explain to me why you don't want to open this playing 2/1?

I can understand you not opening 1 Major on an 11 count, as a 2/1 bid may get you overboard, but surely in a sequence like 1C 1M 1N you can checkback with 2C to ask for range and support; I am afraid I don't get it.

Ron.

#11 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-28, 03:33

The_Hog, on Sep 28 2004, 03:05 AM, said:

Maybe I am being really thick here, but perhaps someone could explain to me why you don't want to open this playing 2/1?

I can understand you not opening 1 Major on an 11 count, as a 2/1 bid may get you overboard, but surely in a sequence like 1C 1M 1N you can checkback with 2C to ask for range and support; I am afraid I don't get it.

Ron.

I've just found that people who play 2/1 prefer solid openings. While it's true that, unlike 1-2, there is no GF bid over 1C, that doesn't mean that I use a different range for it.

#12 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-September-28, 03:49

i'll admit it never entered my mind to pass this until i read all the people who say they would pass... i'd of course open it 1nt every day of the year... while it's true that a 1D bid doesn't do a lot to preempt a major suit overcall, it does at least direct a possible defense... and i doubt if passing will do any more to stop a major bid ...

the only good comes when your holding surprises the ops... but i just think more good can come from bidding this than passing it, especially if you can open 1nt
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#13 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-28, 03:51

First i advice you not to pass, even if it thoreticaly right to pass , there are two adv in opening, first your bidding system is best define after you open, second your opponents system is best define when they open, and third (lol those first two were just one) bid openning with the field is better.
Now 1c/1d ? i think there are advance to each, more important that you will agree with partner on it.

This post has been edited by Flame: 2004-September-28, 07:21

#14 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-28, 03:53

I don't know in which system this hand should be opened 1. Although Bergen opens 1 with 4-4 minors if clubs are much better than diamonds, I see no reason not to open this hand 1. Partner can support diamonds slightly easier than clubs in case of an overcall. If you play Hardy's 2/1, you play Walsh so partner is not allowed to bid a 4-card diamond before a four-card major if you open 1. And sometimes you have an easier response to partner's negative double if you open 1, although it hardly matters in this case.

Given the vulnerabilty, I might open this hand 1 in 3rd seat. It's only half a psyche so I'm allowed to do it four times even when playing under psyche quotas. :P
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#15 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-28, 05:30

The_Hog, on Sep 28 2004, 06:12 AM, said:

"This certainly makes it easier for LHO to overcall on a number of major suit hands on which they would be unable to open. Do the gains outweigh the losses?"

This approach is far too negative Eric; I could be hit by a bus when I am crossing the road, but that does not stop me from crossing it. Pass this hand and you will find it hard to convince partner you have these values later in the auction. If pd opens 1S you may survive with gadgets like Drury. If pd opens 1H what do you do? Bid 2m? Do you now blame pd for passing a 13 pt opener with no wonderful fit for you? Another 3NT gurgles down the drain.

Maybe you will find some French and US experts passing this as some of these are very conservative in their openings; those players who play a 4 handed rather than 2 handed game will open.

I would certainly open it. But I would like to open it with 1NT! I can remember hands like this where a 1NT opening led to a good result, but a 1m opening would have led to their finding a major part score. I suspect that a Pass might have led to the hands being thrown in (again for a good score).

But I would be interested if anyone could demonstrate whether in "real-life" bridge, opening balanced 12 point hands without a major suit does gain or lose IMPS/MPS.

Perhaps someone with BridgeBrowser or equivalent can do that.

Eric

#16 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-28, 06:14

I have a lot to learn, 1 diamond opener I thought this is a rule of 20 opener?

#17 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-September-28, 06:31

Rule of 20 - I woud open, Zar points I wuuld not. Playing weak 1NT I would open, playing roth stone I would not.

If I open i would open 1C, not 1D.Why?

If partner bids 1D over 1C, I will bid 2D
If parntre bids 1H ove 1C, I will bid 1NT
If partner bids 1S ove 1C, I will bid 2S

If I open 1D, I will not be bidding 2C so, why open the higher suit? I have a better chance of finding our minor suit fit with a 1C opening bid.. .
--Ben--

#18 User is online   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2004-September-28, 06:50

scoob, on Sep 28 2004, 03:25 AM, said:

playing 2/1, favourable vuln.

I'd (reluctantly) open 1 playing 2/1
The hand is a piece of *****, but the benefits of opening outweigh the costs.

MUCH happier to be dealt this is playing a weak NT system...
Alderaan delenda est

#19 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2004-September-28, 10:10

Anyone who lobbies for precision or 8-12 openings systems is not entitled to advice a pass on this hand ;)

#20 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-28, 10:30

1D. 1st question, do i open? yes. this 12hcp hand is not bad. u can rebid 1N over 1H, raise to 2s over 1s. over 2c raise to 3c, min but good spt.

2nd question which suit to open? i prefer 1d. Fred said a lot about this question.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users