• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO on an IPAD it works

#1 User is offline   macaw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2011-March-10, 14:46

There is an app called iSwifter

and it works! mtn found this on an news article and tried it :)

But this is bad because now it means we need 2 iPads instead of only one.

We played a few hands and there are a couple of things we noticed:

1) Need to use the hand diagram, and not pictures of cards, makes aiming much more accurate

2) If you go do something else like check email, it disconnects you from BBO entirely

3) Some key characters seem to be missing on the keypad, notably the underscore. So some usernames would not be able to get connected

4) This goes through another server to connect, and it is very speedy, even over a satellite ISP, but we're wondering about password security or capture

Otherwise, wow, it worked!

#2 User is offline   macaw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2011-May-11, 16:31

We should probably include a disclaimer that this is brand new, hot off the press, so hot it's sizzling, and if people don't already know how to use their iPad, and are expecting it to be exactly like a computer, they should stick to the computer.

It's very cool, though. It works! I wrote a 'how to'

BBO on iPad

This only works with the new web version of Bridge Base, not the downloaded Windows version.

After you purchase your iPad, go to the App Store, and look for the App named "iSwifter."

Install it on your iPad and start it. There are two options: Play Games or Browse Webpages.

Select Browse Webpage by tapping on that link.

To type in the Bridge Base webpage address, tap in the blank. This will bring up the keyboard for typing.

This program doesn't keep bookmarks, that I could find, so you will need to type in:

www.bridgebase

and then you can tap the '.com' button to complete the web address (or type it).

Then tap on the "Go" button

You'll see the main iSwifter page with a wheel spinning, just wait until it connects.

Now you'll see the main Bridge Base page with the link: Play Bridge Now

Tap the link "Play Bridge Now"

The keyboard button for typing is always located on the upper right hand corner of the screen at this point. To access it, tap that little icon.

First tap in the Username space, then tap the keyboard icon

Type in your username and tap Return

Tap in the Password space and tap the keyboard icon

Type in your password and tap Return

Then wait, and it will log you in

----

Some things to be aware of:

1) Long fingernails are a problem

2) If you tap any of the links that generate pop ups, for news or the vugraph schedule, you will 'navigate' away from Bridge Base, which means you have to start over. This does one thing at a time, and one thing only.

3) If you like to chat a lot, you will find this somewhat frustrating because the keyboard covers most of the screen. Tap the keyboard icon, and type in your message.

Type in your message - tap the "Return" button to send the message

or

Tap the keyboard icon, review your message, and if it is what you wanted to say, tap the "chat" button to send it.

or

To change/correct something you wrote, tap the keyboard icon again and modify. The button that is an "x" with an pointed side to the left is the "backspace" button.

You can change destination for the chat by tapping on the username or place (table, tournament, kibitzers), where you want it to go, and then watch the lower lefthand corner of the screen to make sure the chat destination has changed.

4) You can 'pin' profiles to the tablet page just like you can on a regular computer; to send a private message tap in the chat bar on the profile, then tap the keyboard icon. Tap the username of the person you wish to chat with; tap "pin" button; tap in the chat space on their profile; tap keyboard; and then proceed as described above.

5) If you are dummy, the program considers you 'idle' - if you are idle too long, a message bar pops up briefly across the top of the screen alerting you to the fact you will be disconnected within 15 seconds, unless you tap the screen. Just tap anywhere on the screen and that will let the program know you're there and doing something.

This may affect watching vugraph since it might be considered passive by the program, and you will need to be watching for that message.

6) For playing, tap the Options link and uncheck the option for "Pictures of Cards" - this gives you the graphical display for your hand and makes it much easier to tap the card you want

To bid an Alerted bid, tap Alert; tap in the space for the explanation; tap keyboard icon; type in explanation; tap keyboard icon again to make it go away; tap bid level (1, 2 or 3, etc); tap suit symbol. Tapping the suit symbol is what completes the bid and so you need to follow this sequence precisely to make a properly alerted bid. It is tedious.

7) When seated at a table to play, the 'table' fills the whole screen, but the tabs on the right side for "Who's Online", "My Results" "Director" tabs are 'active' and if you tap on one of them, the display is divided, making the table where the hand is take up about 2/3 of the screen. To go back to a full table display, tap the tab again and it goes away.

8) Don't try this with fast tournaments, especially things like ACBL speedball, or the fast robot tournaments, or Bingo bridge. The app is brand new and may have issues we are unaware of. Reconnecting is fast but it will definitely interfere with tournament play.

#3 User is offline   Taven 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-May-28, 05:25

I'm not familar with the App as far as iPad; however, basically my wife's iPhone with Safari doesn't support FlashPlayer type games.
I assume Bridgebase is using much the same Adobe coding.

I installed an alternative browser called Puffin.

Seems to work for her browser needs, but until I read this thread, I had not even thought about trying Bridgebase with it.

#4 User is offline   gelino 

• Pip

Posted 2012-June-02, 03:46

Tried to install the app for iPhone and I get we can't complete your request message. Why?

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-02, 09:54

gelino, on 2012-June-02, 03:46, said:

Tried to install the app for iPhone and I get we can't complete your request message. Why?

Are you talking about the new BBO Mobile App? If so, please post all comments in the thread: http://www.bridgebas...iew__getnewpost

#6 User is offline   ralphemers 

• Pip

Posted 2013-January-26, 21:10

How can I play on bob on my IPAD? 1 26 2012

This post has been edited by ralphemers: 2013-January-26, 21:14

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-28, 09:25

ralphemers, on 2013-January-26, 21:10, said:

How can I play on bob on my IPAD? 1 26 2012

Install the BridgeBase app from the App Store.

#8 User is offline   buff 

• Pip

Posted 2013-February-04, 14:31

This is actually a question about the Android app; couldn't find an appropriate topic.

Can the app be used in Landscape orientation? All of the promotional material is Portrait. I need to know before I splurge on a 16:9 10-inch tablet, which I imagine is borderline awkward to hold/navigate in Portrait.

Thanks.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-February-04, 14:56

Yes, the BBO mobile app works in portrait and landscape modes.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users