• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO on Iphone or Ipad? The use of BBO on apple device

#21 User is offline   A_Wolff 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-March-28, 13:15

View Postinquiry, on 2011-March-28, 10:33, said:

If apple just supported Flash, BBO bridge could be played on apple devices just like any other modern device that supports Flash like PC;s, mac's, xoom, galaxy Tab, etc. :rolleyes:

True, but BBO is small with respect to Apple, so Apple will not listen!!

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-March-29, 01:06

View PostA_Wolff, on 2011-March-28, 09:05, said:

IF BBO just replaces the flash interface to the screen by html5 code...

"just"? You're asking them to do a complete rewrite from Flash to Javascript. It's comparable to the conversion to Flash was.

#23 User is offline   jamegumb 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-March-29, 10:44

Following up what I wrote in the other thread like this, I tried iSwifter this morning, and played a robot duplicate BBO tournament.

Worked ok, except:

1) No mouse-overs;
2) No information as to what bids mean;
3) A bit of a lag (and this on an excellent internet connection) that makes clicking the right card a bit difficult.

Otherwise, it's quite usable. Definitely beats having no access to BBO. And a stylus would probably help/solve the third point (though if BBO had an alternate layout where the cards were a bit farther apart, that would help too).

And I think they moved the iSwifter (which, again, I am in no way affiliated with) price up from $.99 to $2.99; the extra $2 is supposed to be going to Japan to assist in tsunami relief.

#24 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-29, 10:46

View Postjamegumb, on 2011-March-29, 10:44, said:

Otherwise, it's quite usable. Definitely beats having no access to BBO. And a stylus would probably help/solve the third point (though if BBO had an alternate layout where the cards were a bit farther apart, that would help too).

Try the hand diagram view (aka vugraph view) instead of the regular card-view.
under [OPTIONS] uncheck [PICTURES OF CARDS]

#25 User is offline   jamegumb 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-29, 11:09

View Postmatmat, on 2011-March-29, 10:46, said:

Try the hand diagram view (aka vugraph view) instead of the regular card-view.
under [OPTIONS] uncheck [PICTURES OF CARDS]

Thanks.

That's a bit better, but they're still too close together for my chubby fingers.

#26 User is offline   kato130 

• Pip

Posted 2011-April-12, 11:05

View Postdocjoe, on 2010-September-28, 11:08, said:

Unfortunately Iphone or IPAD don't support flash player so is impossible use BBO on this hardware, but it'll be great to do so!
Any people from technical support has an idea how it will be possible?

Thanks
Emilio

Hey Guys:

Someone from the Forum suggested using the " Jump Desktop" program, and I just purchased ($19) and installed it. It works perfect. You need to run BBO program on a laptop or computer with WIFI, and then you would be able to play BBO on your ipad. You could also view and use any program and work on your ipad, providing you have a keyboard attached to your ipad. Great idea and worth the money.

Kato130

#27 User is offline   rmfenerty 

• Pip

Posted 2011-May-11, 00:02

View Postfred, on 2010-October-26, 13:15, said:

Given that there is serious uncertainty in terms of how things are going to play out in this market (including with respect to whether or not Apple devices will remain popular or if they will go the way of the Mac), we are currently unwilling to commit the necessary resources to an Apple-specific project (sorry).
Dated 3/10/2011:

According to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Media Tablet and eReader Tracker, 10.1 million media tablets were shipped in the fourth quarter of 2010 (4Q10) - more than double the 4.5 million shipped in the third quarter. Apple's share came down from 93% in 3Q10 to 73% in 4Q10, but still reflected Apple's strong leadership position. Samsung's Galaxy Tab was the primary competitor in the holiday season, beating other players to market and capturing more than 17% share, while a number of smaller regional players also participated.
IDC points to Apple's imminent launch of the iPad 2 as reason to believe that the company will be able to maintain 70-80% market share moving forward. In addition, the firm called demand for the Samsung Galaxy Tab "stifled" by uncompetitive pricing and Apple's momentum, suggesting that a high number of the shipped units moved into the distribution channels without making their way to customers.

Sounds like a lot of potential BBO players without a client.

#28 User is offline   Dwingo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-01, 22:28

Has anyone tried iSwifter for ipad?

I was curious when I read this below statement

iSwifter has created the ability to stream a Flash game onto the iPad through a special app. Normally, Adobe Flash games (which are ubiquitous on the web) don’t run on Apple’s iPad, thanks to a technical dispute between the companies. But after a period of negotiation with Apple, iSwifter is making the impossible possible with the launch of version 3.0 of its app, which comes with a subscription-based game browser.

My link

My link

Feedback solicited from people who try this about their BBO experience.
Bridge Players do it with Finesse

#29 User is offline   TactAnita 

• Pip

Posted 2011-June-03, 15:48

Someone mentioned Xoom as being a possibility. Well I tried one out today at an electronics store. I was able to pull up BBO, type in my user name, but it wouldn't accept the password. I don't wish to buy a tablet that won't let me access BBO. Any workaround for Xoom? Thanks,
TactAnita

#30 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-04, 01:29

Dwingo, Macaw uses iswifter. She's said it's good.
http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry534078

TactAnita, welcome to BBO forums :)
What kind of error did it give you when you tried to login to BBO via the xoom?
If it says incorrect username/pw, then you have typed it wrong. (These tablet keyboards take getting used to!)
I think, however, that if someone is using special characters in either username or password, then there is a chance of a problem. I vaguely recall reading a post like this some time ago but I don't currently have a tab or smartphone to test it on.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#31 User is offline   TactAnita 

• Pip

Posted 2011-June-04, 13:44

<_< [quote name='Rain' timestamp='1307172555' post='551334']
Dwingo, Macaw uses iswifter. She's said it's good.
http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry534078

TactAnita, welcome to BBO forums :)
What kind of error did it give you when you tried to login to BBO via the xoom?
If it says incorrect username/pw, then you have typed it wrong. (These tablet keyboards take getting used to!)
I think, however, that if someone is using special characters in either username or password, then there is a chance of a problem. I vaguely recall reading a post like this some time ago but I don't currently have a tab or smartphone to test it on.
[/quote)

No, it didn't give me an error, but when I started typing my password, I typed one letter and then when I typed another letter, the first letter disappeared. I tried this several times and then gave up. No one there knew anything about BBO of course, as no one in the store is over 30. Oddly enough, the clerk who waited on me said he had worked for Bob Hammon (sp?), who is a bridge player, and Mr. Hammon was frustrated that I-Pad wouldn't work for bridge. So I hope my answer to the password dilemma helps you in ascertaining the problem. Thanks for your response. Anita

#32 User is offline   TactAnita 

• Pip

Posted 2011-June-04, 13:46

No, it didn't give me an error, but when I started typing my password, I typed one letter and then when I typed another letter, the first letter disappeared. I tried this several times and then gave up.

No one there knew anything about BBO, of course, as no one in the store is over 30, confusing "bridge" with something that extends
over a body of water. Oddly enough, the clerk who waited on me said he had worked for Bob Hammon (sp?), who is a bridge player, and Mr. Hammon was frustrated that I-Pad wouldn't work for bridge. So I hope my answer to the password dilemma helps you in ascertaining the problem. Thanks for your response. Anita

#33 User is offline   beccabos 

• Pip

Posted 2011-June-17, 14:34

Has anyone tried Skyfire for using BBO on their iPad?

#34 User is offline   jmc 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-22, 23:38

The password and typing problem using Flash on a tablet operating system is very frustrating. The key to entering a password is to type carefully and assume you have entered everything correctly. Then when finished hit enter on the virtual keyboard. The letters won't have entered into the box visibly or in the "normal" way to you, but it will almost always work to log me in both on my mobile phone (HTC Incredible) and on the various tablets I have tried (Motorola Xoom, Blackberry Playbook, Samsun Galaxy 7.5 inch original).

Playing on BBO is doable, but chatting and alerting are very difficult. I'm not sure why flash won't show the text I'm typing but it makes using it very, very unfriendly. If BBO could make this work easier on the software side it'd be great. It reminds me of the old terminal days where you had to set echo on to see the characters you typed.

#35 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-23, 02:46

View Postjmc, on 2011-June-22, 23:38, said:

The password and typing problem using Flash on a tablet operating system is very frustrating. The key to entering a password is to type carefully and assume you have entered everything correctly. Then when finished hit enter on the virtual keyboard. The letters won't have entered into the box visibly or in the "normal" way to you, but it will almost always work to log me in both on my mobile phone (HTC Incredible) and on the various tablets I have tried (Motorola Xoom, Blackberry Playbook, Samsun Galaxy 7.5 inch original).

Playing on BBO is doable, but chatting and alerting are very difficult. I'm not sure why flash won't show the text I'm typing but it makes using it very, very unfriendly. If BBO could make this work easier on the software side it'd be great. It reminds me of the old terminal days where you had to set echo on to see the characters you typed.

Thank you for the tip. We had a few complaints about this recently, so this is very helpful.

#36 User is offline   maiko1 

• Pip

Posted 2011-July-19, 08:17

Downloaded iSwifter (free App) and BBO works perfectly well on my iPad GL :)

#37 User is offline   A_Wolff 

• Pip

Posted 2011-September-13, 06:03

View Postsallyla, on 2011-January-27, 21:55, said:

I recently purchased an app for the ipad called "always on pc" and basically it links the ipad with my pc so I am able to play bridge on it. I was skeptical because the app costs $25 but I am able to play. It's a little difficult to specify which playing card you want to play but it's better than nothing. It of course does require wireless. As someone else said, a stylus does help.

Also James at support at alwaysonpc sent me this note:

Thanks for your question. BridgeBase is one of the sites we've tested and it works with AlwaysOnPC on the iPad. To see a video demo go to http://blog.alwayson...from-your-ipad. You can also sign up for our free trial at www.alwaysonpc.com and test out the functionality and features on your PC or Mac.

PS I also tried Skyfire and it did not work

Don't buy AlwaysOnPC: it is too slow to play BBO and it is expesive. Install iSwifter, this is faster and cheaper. But do buy also a stylus pen if you have tick fingers, otherwise it is difficult to select the correct card. Make the cards field as big as possible, by disabeling the tabs at the right side.

#38 User is offline   Bruin 

• Pip

Posted 2011-September-26, 01:11

Hi all, I bought an Asus Transformer on Andrfoid 3.2 and installed the newest Flash Player version from Adobe.
I tried to log on on the Webversion of BBO, but when I started typing my password, I typed one letter and then when I
typed another letter, the first letter disappeared and no * replacing the typed letter.

Can someone help me to solve this problem??

Harold (alias BRUIN on BBO)

#39 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-26, 01:24

View PostBruin, on 2011-September-26, 01:11, said:

Hi all, I bought an Asus Transformer on Andrfoid 3.2 and installed the newest Flash Player version from Adobe.
I tried to log on on the Webversion of BBO, but when I started typing my password, I typed one letter and then when I
typed another letter, the first letter disappeared and no * replacing the typed letter.

Can someone help me to solve this problem??

Harold (alias BRUIN on BBO)

Hi Harold, welcome to the Forums.

Read above a few replies please.

Several people reported the password problem and explained how to solve it. Just type the password carefully and ignore the fact that letters disappear. Then mark the "Remember password" checkbox so you wont have to re-type it each time you log in.

#40 User is offline   crtee 

• Pip

Posted 2011-December-15, 09:53

Surely you have changed your mind about IOS products now. When will Bridgebase support iPads and iPhones?

CR Teeple

uote name='fred' timestamp='1288120534' post='505144']
I have already posted several responses to similar inquiries in other threads. My standard answer looks something like this:

If Apple remains one of the market leaders in this space, it is likely that there will eventually be a way for people to play on BBO through their iPhones and iPads. Currently we have no concrete plans to do anything about this and I am not in a position to predict when we might make such plans or, once we do, how long in might take to execute such plans.

Apple might be able to speed things up if they change some of their (absurd IMO) policies. There have recently been some signs that this might actually happen.

As usual, we have a lot of things on our collective plates. Given that there is serious uncertainty in terms of how things are going to play out in this market (including with respect to whether or not Apple devices will remain popular or if they will go the way of the Mac), we are currently unwilling to commit the necessary resources to an Apple-specific project (sorry).

Our position on these matters could change at any time (but please don't bother trying to convince me to shift gears - I do not want to get involved in a discussion about this).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com
[/quote]

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users