• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Undo's Undo's are a great tool during bidding

#1 User is offline   williamoss 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-May-29, 07:55

Undo's should be allowed only during the bidding process. This mimics the silent bid of pulling a card out of the box and declaring mechanical mistake, replacing the bidding cards, and the pulling our the correct bid. Say you pulled a 2 of clubs and meant to pull the 3 of clubs. One just states the mechanical mistake, puts the 2 of clubs back into the bidding box and then pulls out the 3 of clubs. No foul was committed.

I suggest that the software be changed that once the bidding is over there are no more UNDO'S for that hand. This is because in live bridge if a card is drawn from a hand and is seen by any player, the card must be immediately played or it sits on the table and is played whenever the first opportunity occurs.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-May-29, 07:57

Agree, but as host you can always state that no undo's should be ask for (or granted, if they are asked for anyway) during the play.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Trumpace 

• Hideous Rabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-May-29, 10:23

williamoss, on May 29 2009, 08:55 AM, said:

Undo's should be allowed only during the bidding process. This mimics the silent bid of pulling a card out of the box and declaring mechanical mistake, replacing the bidding cards, and the pulling our the correct bid. Say you pulled a 2 of clubs and meant to pull the 3 of clubs. One just states the mechanical mistake, puts the 2 of clubs back into the bidding box and then pulls out the 3 of clubs. No foul was committed.

I suggest that the software be changed that once the bidding is over there are no more UNDO'S for that hand. This is because in live bridge if a card is drawn from a hand and is seen by any player, the card must be immediately played or it sits on the table and is played whenever the first opportunity occurs.

If you want to make it closer to real life, why not change the software to allow playing the wrong suit, or even play when it is not your turn? How about allowing to play 2-3 cards at the same time? :P

I don't agree with the suggestion at all. Using the computer to play gives rise to other mechanical problems not possible in live bridge, like my mouse clicking a card I didn't intend to click.

Besides, it is not fun to be stuck with a wrongly played card when that sort of thing happens.

And what if we are on a table with all friends? UNDOs should be allowed anytime.

Frankly I don't understand the need for this suggestion. If you are an opponent, you can always reject UNDO requests. If you are the one needing UNDO, don't ask! Having the UNDO should not bother you in any case.

#4 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-17, 06:55

Agree with trumpace. Tables can be set for no undos if you want, or you can simply disallow them when asked. For teaching and practice tables alone, undos are a valuable tool at times. Also, there is little fun in playing a hand out that someone's mouse hiccupped and they ended up in 7 !h instead of 7!d.

#5 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-17, 09:12

don't like undos in the play? great! don't allow them at your table, but don't screw it up for everyone else.

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-June-17, 09:26

Well, I can tell you from experience that if undos weren't allowed, people would need them less, since they would be paying more attention. I'm not sure this is a good thing, however, because most people on BBO are playing for fun and don't care if they give their opponents an occasional undo.

Yet, undo's can lead to awkwardness. Should you allow an undo in card play after the person waits five seconds? Or in bidding after a protracted period of time? Even in JEC matches I have seen requests for undos after an extended period of time.

Perhaps a solution is to allow undos in the relaxed bridge club, but for the main bridge club, don't allow undos.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-June-17, 09:29

Yes let's reduce variety to the point that exactly one person has exactly what he wants.

I think this suggestion just proves how much some people need undos on different things in life.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#8 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-June-17, 09:30

If you don't want to allow undos, fine. But I know that I feel really stupid when I were to lead and ace from my hand, and misclick on the king from dummy so I go down in a cold grand that we relayed up to. Please, for the good of everyone, keep it the way it is, it's not mandatory you allow undos, although when I'm playing with friends we have undos in all sorts of weird situations... IMO it's completely absurd to ban them.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#9 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-June-17, 10:29

;)

Surley undos are generally only needed for 'Genuine' misclicks.

I myself think you should LIVE with your mistakes

It might make you more Careful and pay more attention

:rolleyes:

#10 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2009-June-17, 10:56

williamoss, on May 29 2009, 06:55 AM, said:

Not entirely true. Declarer can take a card from her hand, show it to the opps, put it back and play another. Only when the card is "held face up, touching or nearly touching the table" is it considered played.
Defender must play any card held so that it is possible for her partner to see.
This is one of the laws Ive found many players mis-quote and TD’s have their own interpretation.

Ideally, separate undo functions for bidding and declarer/defender play should be available.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#11 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-17, 13:01

jillybean2, on Jun 17 2009, 11:56 AM, said:

williamoss, on May 29 2009, 06:55 AM, said:

Not entirely true. Declarer can take a card from her hand, show it to the opps, put it back and play another. Only when the card is "held face up, touching or nearly touching the table" is it considered played.
Defender must play any card held so that it is possible for her partner to see.
This is one of the laws Ive found many players mis-quote and TD’s have their own interpretation.

Ideally, separate undo functions for bidding and declarer/defender play should be available.

;)

spot on jillybean

:rolleyes:

#12 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-17, 14:58

mtvesuvius, on Jun 17 2009, 10:30 AM, said:

IMO it's completely absurd to ban them.

I'd like to ban weird situations too :rolleyes:

#13 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-17, 15:39

matmat, on Jun 17 2009, 03:58 PM, said:

While we are at it, why don't we ban Self-Alerting and the ability to see your own convention card... Oh, and it's not fair to be able to redeal if you saw someone's cards, so let's make it like in IRL... You use the info to your advantage, and don't tell anyone!

#14 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-17, 15:48

mtvesuvius, on Jun 17 2009, 04:39 PM, said:

While we are at it, why don't we ban Self-Alerting and the ability to see your own convention card... Oh, and it's not fair to be able to redeal if you saw someone's cards, so let's make it like in IRL... You use the info to your advantage, and don't tell anyone!

we could also ban table chat, kibitzers (oh wait...), and, while we're at it, psychs

#15 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-17, 15:51

matmat, on Jun 17 2009, 04:48 PM, said:

mtvesuvius, on Jun 17 2009, 04:39 PM, said:

we could also ban table chat, kibitzers (oh wait...), and, while we're at it, psychs

Also, we should make North have to change the boards, instead of it being automatic.

#16 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-10, 10:27

Don't undo the undoes! :(

tOM

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2009-July-10, 10:43

Trumpace, on May 29 2009, 05:23 PM, said:

If you want to make it closer to real life, why not change the software to allow playing the wrong suit, or even play when it is not your turn? How about allowing to play 2-3 cards at the same time? :(

The next version of BBO will allow you to spread marmalade on you cards so that they stick together and the next players who get them will see only 11 or 12 cards on the screen.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#18 User is offline   Trumpace 

• Hideous Rabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-10, 10:52

helene_t, on Jul 10 2009, 11:43 AM, said:

Trumpace, on May 29 2009, 05:23 PM, said:

If you want to make it closer to real life, why not change the software to allow playing the wrong suit, or even play when it is not your turn? How about allowing to play 2-3 cards at the same time?  :(

The next version of BBO will allow you to spread marmalade on you cards so that they stick together and the next players who get them will see only 11 or 12 cards on the screen.

:D

Perhaps it will be a good April fool's day prank for BBO to pull off... They even have enough time to program it in :P

#19 User is offline   Jim_Dandy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-April-14, 15:45

Nowhere in bridge laws do I see undo for an exposed card. The undo for play should be eliminated because it is there even if director states undo for bids only.
Allow 5 second for an undo bid request if partner not bid and no need for delay acceptnce
At very least have the two options (bids and play)separate for directors.
ACBL Law:
A. Unintended Call
1. Until his partner makes a call, a player may substitute
his intended call for an unintended call but
only if he does so, or attempts to do so, without
pause for thought. The second (intended) call
stands and is subject to the appropriate law.
2. No substitution of call may be made when his
partner has made a subsequent call.
3. If the auction ends before it reaches the player’s
partner, no substitution may occur after the end
of the auction period (see Law 22).
4. If a substitution is allowed, the LHO may withdraw
any call he made over the first call. Information
from the withdrawn call is authorized
only to his side. There is no further rectification.

#20 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-April-14, 18:36

View Postmtvesuvius, on 2009-June-17, 09:30, said:

If you don't want to allow undos, fine. But I know that I feel really stupid when I were to lead and ace from my hand, and misclick on the king from dummy so I go down in a cold grand that we relayed up to. Please, for the good of everyone, keep it the way it is, it's not mandatory you allow undos, although when I'm playing with friends we have undos in all sorts of weird situations... IMO it's completely absurd to ban them.

I missed this the first time around. Playing the King from dummy when you intended to play the Ace from your hand is not a mechanical misclick, its a brain fart. You wouldn't get an "undo" at the table and if it is a serious game, you shouldn't get one online either. Of course if it is the midnight TG after an evening at the pub, undo's should be mandatory.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users