• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Undo's Undo's are a great tool during bidding

#21 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-16, 09:35

View Postwilliamoss, on 2009-May-29, 07:55, said:

Undo's should be allowed only during the bidding process. This mimics the silent bid of pulling a card out of the box and declaring mechanical mistake, replacing the bidding cards, and the pulling our the correct bid. Say you pulled a 2 of clubs and meant to pull the 3 of clubs. One just states the mechanical mistake, puts the 2 of clubs back into the bidding box and then pulls out the 3 of clubs. No foul was committed.

I suggest that the software be changed that once the bidding is over there are no more UNDO'S for that hand. This is because in live bridge if a card is drawn from a hand and is seen by any player, the card must be immediately played or it sits on the table and is played whenever the first opportunity occurs.

A little more work is required, but it sounds like it would be helpful to have "bidding undos allowed" and "play undos allowed" as separate settings for the table host.

#22 User is offline   Alibar10 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Art, bridge, reading

Posted 2012-July-06, 10:24

My experience is some of my partners disagree if I deny an undo. They want ops to know I was the one denying. Yesterday, when I denied an undo, my partner began a barrage of unsults to me, that finally he was booted, whereupon, he continued by sending private insults. Similar situations have happened in past weeks. Seems to me It's forcing me to allow any and all undos just to keep the table in good humor.

#23 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-06, 10:29

Most people consider MBC play very informal. Keeping the game friendly is probably more important in these games than strict adherence to the laws. If the table host wants a more formal game, he could have disabled undos.

If you want to set the tone, start your own table and set the table parameters as you wish.

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-09, 07:11

View PostAlibar10, on 2012-July-06, 10:24, said:

Seems to me It's forcing me to allow any and all undos just to keep the table in good humor.

It is perfectly reasonable to ask your opponent if they made a misclick before granting an undo. If I find out after allowing an undo that it was a change of mind rather than a misclick then I mark their profile not to allow any further undos from them should they somehow find their way onto the same table in the future. This is regardless of whether the undo was for bidding or card play. If I feel there is too much UI after one (or more) undos to complete the board reasonably then I will also ask for a redeal as the simplest compromise. Some players dislike this too, especially if they were sitting on a good hand.
(-: Zel :-)

#25 User is offline   Alibar10 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Art, bridge, reading

Posted 2012-July-12, 10:28

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-July-09, 07:11, said:

It is perfectly reasonable to ask your opponent if they made a misclick before granting an undo. If I find out after allowing an undo that it was a change of mind rather than a misclick then I mark their profile not to allow any further undos from them should they somehow find their way onto the same table in the future. This is regardless of whether the undo was for bidding or card play. If I feel there is too much UI after one (or more) undos to complete the board reasonably then I will also ask for a redeal as the simplest compromise. Some players dislike this too, especially if they were sitting on a good hand.

Thanks for your helpful response. Much appreciated.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users