BBO Discussion Forums: what say ye? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what say ye?

Poll: vote early and vote often (23 member(s) have cast votes)

vote early and vote often

1. racist (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

2. insensitive (5 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

3. both (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

4. neither (9 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2009-February-18, 16:51

http://www.msnbc.msn...3781/?GT1=43001
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#2 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-18, 17:00

A little racist, extremely insensitive, and (even if one ignores those two factors) not funny at all. Most political cartoons will at least make me snicker.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#3 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-February-18, 17:07

The death of the chimp sorta takes a lot of the funny out of it, but come on... even if you take the racial AND the insensitive out of it, not funny AT ALL? Something so stupid or so easy that it could (must?!) have been done by a trained monkey, then a trained monkey gets killed, and... Really? Not even a little bit?
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#4 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-18, 17:11

Not even a little bit funny.

#5 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-February-18, 17:28

Lobowolf, on Feb 18 2009, 06:07 PM, said:

The death of the chimp sorta takes a lot of the funny out of it, but come on... even if you take the racial AND the insensitive out of it, not funny AT ALL? Something so stupid or so easy that it could (must?!) have been done by a trained monkey, then a trained monkey gets killed, and... Really? Not even a little bit?

Not at all. The death of the monkey took some funny out, but I think most was removed by the comment about the stimulus. Not that I care if they mock the stimulus, but it had nothing to do with the monkey story.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-February-18, 17:59

I don't see it as rascist... my first reaction was.. how can this be racist? That reaction was, on reflection, because I have not viewed the stimulus as written by Obama. I saw it as a joint semi-collaborative effort between people in Congress, and people in the administration. I would be shocked if the President even had the opportunity let alone the desire to actually write any of it.

I can see how some might tie the monkey to the president, since the media is selling the package as 'Obama's' stimulus package, and he certainly has been pushing it.

I didn't think that the cartoon was the least bit funny.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-February-18, 18:02

Not at all funny, a little racist (Like Mike, I view the stimulus package as a product of more than just Obama), and extremely insensitive IMO.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#8 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2009-February-18, 18:22

I think the cartoon pushes back against the comparisons beween Bush and chimps over the last eight years: George Bush Looks Like a Chimp. Anyway, that was my first thought when I saw it earlier today.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-February-18, 18:31

Let me preface by saying that I don't think it's a funny cartoon. Not because of any racist or insensitive connotations; just because it isn't. But I see where it was kind of trying to go...it just didn't really work. It's akin to the "Jim Cramer vs. a trained monkey" blog, where a "trained monkey" (actually a random computer) outpicked Cramer's stock choices. Same idea...his picks are so bad, a trained monkey could have done it. Similarly, the stimulus package is so bad...

If there weren't a stimulus package, or something as huge on the national news front, then a New York paper probably would have used the dead chimp to make commentary on the personnel decisions of the Yankees, or something. Conversely, if McCain would have been elected and proposed a stimulus package, the same cartoon could have been run as is, and nobody would have looked twice, because unfunny cartoons aren't newsworthy, barring potentially-racial angles.

It wasn't inherently unfunny, i.e. non-comedy, in the way that reading physics is unfunny. It had the comedy formula; just bad, open mic night comedy.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

#10 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-18, 20:50

Hmmnnnn...

Neither draconian nor Machiavellian.

I see it referring to the joke about chimps writing Shakespeare if given enough time ( ie sens and reps being monkey-like)

The allusion to the cops is that they took action to take down serious "criminal" behavior.

Not sure I see the problem with this one ( not with the cartoon at least...)
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#11 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2009-February-18, 22:07

jdonn, on Feb 18 2009, 05:00 PM, said:

A little racist, extremely insensitive, and (even if one ignores those two factors) not funny at all. Most political cartoons will at least make me snicker.

Three things to say here.

1) You guys know that I didn't vote for Obama and if it had to be a Dem, I'd have preferred Hillary (although not by much)

2) His "stimulus package" is full of more pork than all the pigs that ever lived on this planet have on their bones.

3) This cartoon is so sickenly insensitive and racist that my "both" vote was a WTP.

.. neilkaz ..

#12 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-18, 22:12

funny in the way that i can't believe some moron would actually draw this, and another moron would agree to publish it.

#13 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-18, 23:24

Maybe his next cartoon will feature a child killed in a car accident. Maybe a homeless person freezing to death. The guy must be a real hit at parties. I completely agree with Matmat. It's just moronic. Beyond comprehension, really.
Ken

#14 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-19, 09:28

Ken said it better than I could

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-February-19, 10:28

The real problem with this cartoon is that it takes too much analysis to get the point they were trying to make. A joke doesn't really work if they have to explain it.

#16 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-February-19, 10:40

New York Post = Rupert Murdoch
Nuff said.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#17 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-19, 11:18

That doesn't really seem to say 'nuff, to me. Assuming he's related to Rupert Murdoch, is the implication that he's a racist, because, well, all Republicans are, or for some other reason, or is the implication that it's not a racist cartoon at all, because he's been outspokenly critical of the stimulus plan, and probably sees it as something a trained chimp could have written?
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

#18 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2009-February-19, 11:22

The Post has certainly gotten a lot of free publicity out of the cartoon.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#19 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2009-February-19, 11:27

I would have found it funny if it where about Bush or the Pope rather than Obama, which proves my bias.

Since Bush was frequently called "the chimp" I don't take it as racist. I can understand why some would see it otherwise.

I voted "insensitive" since the death of the chimp is sad, but what the heck, most newspaper cartoons are making fun of news and most news are sad so it's no big deal. I would say it's roughly at the same level as the infamous Danish cartoons from a few years back, although it is of course apples vs oranges.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#20 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-February-19, 11:30

Lobowolf, on Feb 19 2009, 12:18 PM, said:

That doesn't really seem to say 'nuff, to me. Assuming he's related to Rupert Murdoch, is the implication that he's a racist, because, well, all Republicans are, or for some other reason, or is the implication that it's not a racist cartoon at all, because he's been outspokenly critical of the stimulus plan, and probably sees it as something a trained chimp could have written?

Yes, Rupert. Thanks.

I don't know where you get the Republican slant - Rupert Murdoch's New York Post is quite well known for sensationalism and controversy.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users