BBO Discussion Forums: what say ye? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what say ye?

Poll: vote early and vote often (23 member(s) have cast votes)

vote early and vote often

1. racist (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

2. insensitive (5 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

3. both (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

4. neither (9 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2009-February-19, 11:59

Lobowolf, on Feb 19 2009, 08:18 PM, said:

That doesn't really seem to say 'nuff, to me. Assuming he's related to Rupert Murdoch, is the implication that he's a racist, because, well, all Republicans are, or for some other reason, or is the implication that it's not a racist cartoon at all, because he's been outspokenly critical of the stimulus plan, and probably sees it as something a trained chimp could have written?

I wouldn't say that all Republican's are racists; however, enough of them are that media outlets have found it profitable to cater to this specific demographic...

Take a look at the content that gets pumped out Fox News and AM talk radio. Most of it is purile crap... If you prefer, we can look at visionary "righters" like Ann Coulter or Jonah Goldberg.

I don't claim that the left doesn't have its own nut jobs. However, over on the right the pendulum has swung way out of line. The inmates are very obviously running the asylum...
Alderaan delenda est

#22 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-February-19, 12:01

Winstonm, on Feb 19 2009, 12:30 PM, said:

I don't know where you get the Republican slant - Rupert Murdoch's New York Post is quite well known for sensationalism and controversy.

I believe Murdoch is a heavy RNC contributor. Sensationalism and controversy is yet another angle... See, lots of possibile implication by mentioning Murdoch!
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#23 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-February-19, 12:16

hrothgar, on Feb 19 2009, 12:59 PM, said:

I don't claim that the left doesn't have its own nut jobs.  However, over on the right the pendulum has swung way out of line.  The inmates are very obviously running the asylum...

Case in point, and my favorite new face on the political scene for pure entertainment value:

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele says his party is going to launch an "off the hook" public relations campaign that will update the GOP’s image by translating it to "urban-suburban hip-hop settings."

He added, jokingly, that “we need to uptick our image with everyone, including one-armed midgets.”

Steele described the new multi-platform PR offensive as “avant-garde, technically. It will come to [the] table with things that will surprise everyone — off the hook.” Asked whether that meant cutting-edge tactics, Steele demurred. “I don't do 'cutting-edge,’” he said. “That's what Democrats are doing. We're going beyond cutting-edge.”

Steele dismissed the assessments of some Republicans that he needs a deputy to handle areas like logistics, fundraising and candidate recruitment. “I can run this organization just fine,” he said. “There will be no deputy chairman, period. …People who said I can't make the trains run on time never gave a reason. I say to them, 'Stuff it.'

That would be my strategy too. Translate your image to one-armed midgets (ok ok I know that was just a joke, I guess) in urban-suburban (huh?) hip-hop settings by going beyond cutting-edge (is that like giving 110%?), and if anyone would disagree that I'm the one man for the job they can stuff it!
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#24 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-19, 14:12

Even when the Republicans are NOT using scare tactics, they frighten me...
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#25 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2009-February-19, 17:04

That doesn't really seem to say 'nuff, to me.  Assuming he's related to Rupert Murdoch, is the implication that he's a racist, because, well, all Republicans are, or for some other reason, or is the implication that it's not a racist cartoon at all, because he's been outspokenly critical of the stimulus plan, and probably sees it as something a trained chimp could have written?

I wouldn't say that all Republican's are racists; however, enough of them are that media outlets have found it profitable to cater to this specific demographic...

Take a look at the content that gets pumped out Fox News and AM talk radio. Most of it is purile crap... If you prefer, we can look at visionary "righters" like Ann Coulter or Jonah Goldberg.

I don't claim that the left doesn't have its own nut jobs. However, over on the right the pendulum has swung way out of line. The inmates are very obviously running the asylum...

you may be right, but i'm unaware of any overtly racist comments by the folks you mentioned... do you have some examples?
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#26 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-February-19, 17:34

luke warm, on Feb 19 2009, 06:04 PM, said:

That doesn't really seem to say 'nuff, to me.  Assuming he's related to Rupert Murdoch, is the implication that he's a racist, because, well, all Republicans are, or for some other reason, or is the implication that it's not a racist cartoon at all, because he's been outspokenly critical of the stimulus plan, and probably sees it as something a trained chimp could have written?

you may be right, but i'm unaware of any overtly racist comments by the folks you mentioned... do you have some examples?

Google is a wonderful thing and takes very little effort you know. I'll give you one to get you started.

According to media reports, Ann Coulter discussed the possibility of Iran developing nuclear weapons and described how “Post-9/11 our philosophy should be: Raghead talks tough? Raghead faces consequences.” When challenged about the use of the term “raghead” by a young Middle Eastern man who asked her to “please, please, please, don’t say raghead,” Coulter responded “yeah, I made a few jokes at Muslims. They killed 3,000 Americans.” Michigan Democratic Party chairperson Mark Brewer yesterday (the same day that Coulter used “jihad monkey” and “camel jockey” as replacements for "rag head") called on the Michigan GOP to denounce Coulter’s statements and prevent her from speaking in Grand Rapids.

Racist enough for you?

#27 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-19, 17:51

My reaction was different from what has been discussed: I saw a couple of guys shooting someone possibly involved with the stimulus package. The cartoon was so stupid you could read just about anything into it, and I first focused on the guns and the dead chimp. I'm no fan of racist garbage, and for that matter I never referred to Bush as a chimp either, but what this country really does not need is advocacy of settling political feuds with guns. This wasn't the artist's(?) intent I suppose. Well, what the hell was his intent? I think a guy could stop and think a little before depicting anyone gunned down, captioned with some vague reference to politics.
Ken

#28 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-February-19, 17:53

Yes, but as a choice of "their side's" racists, Coulter's a wacko entertainer; Jesse "Hymietown" Jackson was a presidential candidate, and Al Sharpton was a featured speaker at the 2004 DNC.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

#29 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2009-February-19, 18:21

Lobowolf, on Feb 19 2009, 06:53 PM, said:

Yes, but as a choice of "their side's" racists, Coulter's a wacko entertainer; Jesse "Hymietown" Jackson was a presidential candidate, and Al Sharpton was a featured speaker at the 2004 DNC.

Not to mention that in the 2000 debates Joe Lieberman spoke of my friend Al Sharpton. Do they go to ball games together? It produced nausea.

Republicans should not be held accountable for Ann Coulter. I can't say I have eever heard her speak or read her books, but in some cases i think you really don't have to.
Ken

#30 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-February-19, 18:31

I don't disagree, but Jimmy said he was unaware of any racist comments from her. Which apparently means he was unaware of any comments from her, as it's hard to find ones that aren't ____ist.

#31 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-19, 18:35

jdonn, on Feb 19 2009, 07:31 PM, said:

Which apparently means he was unaware of any comments from her, as it's hard to find ones that aren't ____ist.

lol

Not in the "I'm mocking you" sense, but in the "This comment really struck me as funny" sense.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

#32 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2009-February-20, 04:48

jdonn, on Feb 19 2009, 06:34 PM, said:

According to media reports, Ann Coulter discussed the possibility of Iran developing nuclear weapons and described how “Post-9/11 our philosophy should be: Raghead talks tough? Raghead faces consequences.” When challenged about the use of the term “raghead” by a young Middle Eastern man who asked her to “please, please, please, don’t say raghead,” Coulter responded “yeah, I made a few jokes at Muslims. They killed 3,000 Americans.” Michigan Democratic Party chairperson Mark Brewer yesterday (the same day that Coulter used “jihad monkey” and “camel jockey” as replacements for "rag head") called on the Michigan GOP to denounce Coulter’s statements and prevent her from speaking in Grand Rapids.

Racist enough for you?

yes... and i honestly was unaware of those, having never heard her or the others say anything like that
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#33 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2009-February-20, 10:35

And, in other news, Drivers killed almost 40 000 Americans in 2008, a record low rate(both per person, and per driving mile).

Waiting to hear all the anti-Trucker hype...

Really, what happened in New York was a horrible thing. It really was. I would hate to have it happen again. But in the great circle of (even American) life, it's a drop in the bucket, and as for before or since, a drop in the ocean. Prepare for attack, sure. Make it as difficult as possible in the "land of the free, home of the brave", of course - but no more difficult! Fearmongering, hatemongering, and rightsgrabbing using the Bloody Tower flag is a little out of depth. It was in 2001 and it is much, much more so now.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#34 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-20, 13:04

mycroft, on Feb 20 2009, 11:35 AM, said:

And, in other news, Drivers killed almost 40 000 Americans in 2008, a record low rate(both per person, and per driving mile).

Waiting to hear all the anti-Trucker hype...

Really, what happened in New York was a horrible thing. It really was. I would hate to have it happen again. But in the great circle of (even American) life, it's a drop in the bucket, and as for before or since, a drop in the ocean. Prepare for attack, sure. Make it as difficult as possible in the "land of the free, home of the brave", of course - but no more difficult! Fearmongering, hatemongering, and rightsgrabbing using the Bloody Tower flag is a little out of depth. It was in 2001 and it is much, much more so now.

Fair enough, but political cartoons and insensitive comments are drops in the bucket, too, in a "big picture" perspective.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

#35 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2009-February-20, 14:42

The polarization is necessary for action to take place. Only after sufficient potential has been generated will a creative response occur. Otherwise its just same old, same old.

Viz JFK and the civil rights movement followed by backlash and resistance followed by eventual confrontation and establishment of a new paradigm.

When Obama's hope and intellect can't scare up the change required, then and only then will the ever-widening american butts get off their chairs and start the ball rolling.

#36 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2009-February-20, 17:13

ok, my butt is off the chair and my balls are rolling. Now what do I do?
Ken

#37 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-20, 17:19

kenberg, on Feb 20 2009, 06:13 PM, said:

Stick it to The Man.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

#38 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2009-February-21, 15:18

kenberg, on Feb 20 2009, 06:13 PM, said:

Look into that Article V convention.

Write your legislators to inform them that you want them to stop the current trend of pandering to special interests and take care of you and your fellow citizens.

Stop buying the ***** that keeps us from being safe in the future. Tell your shopkeepers that you will only buy the most "sensible" articles.

Contact your local police and tell them that as a concerned tax-payer you want them to concentrate more on public service and DUI and less on pointless marijuana busts.

Its a start.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users