• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One for the Mathematicians

#1 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-April-21, 16:55

My Maths is not good enough to work out all the permutations. What is the best line on this hand?

Scoring: IMP

The contract is 6N. Low C is led. My plan was to cash 2 top S to see if a doubleton honor dropped. If not to eventually take the H hook, or possibly a throw in. An expert to whom I showed the hand suggested that if both opps follow to 2 rounds of S, the odds have changed significantly and I might be better off to play for S 3-3. I would be interested if someone could mathematically work out the best line.

Most lines work. At the other table, the declarer "safety played" the H suit - A, K and low to the J. I would say that this has to be a greatly inferior line to others suggested.

Fwiw, most lines work - Jx of S drops, and H are 3-3 with Qxx off side.
Another question: Without the T and 9 of S, I would suggest ducking a S at trick 2 and then playing for 3-3 S or the Major suit squeeze to eventuate. Any comments?

Ron
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-21, 22:41

The problem is even more complex that it seems!

First, here applies some sort of restricted choice:

West led a , if he had a blank hand he could have led any suit, but he has decided to lead so he is favourite for having major suits honors.

Not only that, but if he had 3=4=3=3 blank he owudl ahve led surelly , and probably if he had 44 with 4, that makes him not likelly to hold 4 (improves the 3-3 chance)

It is too complex to calculate, and even from teh bidding, mayeb the restricted choice doesn´t apply, but if it does I´ll aproximate my line:

Play a to the J and hope for 3-3 or major suit squeeze.

62.5% of finese (applying restricted choice) about 40% of 3-3 (again restricted choice) and major suit squeeze will work a bit less of half the times aren´t 3-3 with honors divided, I think around 40% also.

Is there a real need of more calculating? I don´t see any other line that mixes 3 real porcentages, so I don´t think any more calculating is neccesary.

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-April-21, 22:48

--Ben--

#4 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2004-April-21, 23:27

Thanks Ben, thorough analysis. Based on your Maths I guess the H play is correct.

Cheers
Ron
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-21, 23:48

inquiry, on Apr 21 2004, 11:48 PM, said:

Playing AK and then to the JACK is a great line. First, it fails only if EAST has Qxxx or Qxxxx (or Qxxxxx) of . So the odds of success are readily calculated to be ~78% (if you ignore the 6-0, because you can change lines then).

Having played AK, and K then led small toward the J, if second hand shows out (Qxxxx offside) then you can rise with A and revert to in the hope that are 3-3 with the winning in the void hand. Only a tiny extra hand, and relies on misdefence.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2004-April-22, 03:18

Best percentage line imho: K, A (this order, because you may need 1 more entry to play ). If E have 5+, than you make J. If W have 5+, low to 10 finesse and play for 3-3 or J/Qx in E. If E put J or Q, take, go to dummy with J and low again from dummy, finesse if not J/Q by E. The beauty of this line is percentages are commulative, because if bad break, you can stiil try later.
Misho
MishoVnBg

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2004-April-22, 06:39

hi again!

It seems nobody agress with my restricted choice deductions, so even without them:

rectifyinge count in is worthless, the ONLY squeeze you can manage after that is the show-up squeeze, since on the other cases finding the Q with the is just as good as the finese.

So if you are havin to rectify the count, you can do it trying a 50% finese in or a 24% in .

even more! when you try finese you can also cash 1 top ans see if a honor falls, either having stiff J/Q, or QJ bare. And pretty good lines when any breaks 6-0 as well.

also you can try for a stiff Q behind, you will come up with:

Now a to the J that will lose, opponents may break comunication on either major, but you may play your last minor winner from the hand without the entry, so squeeze still works.

No restricted choice you say?, anyway, I am combining these chances:

Q bare= 1%
finese= 50%
honor drops=8%
3-3= 37.5%
+ squeeze = about 27% (it doesn´t apply when =3-3 on the calculating, assuming 4-2 or worse is about 40%)

My calculator says it is 78% :)

#8 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-April-22, 08:01

Fluffy, on Apr 22 2004, 07:39 AM, said:

It seems nobody agress with my restricted choice deductions, so even without them:

Actually, I am firm believer in restricted choice applying to the opening lead. The fact that WEST made a safe club lead increases the chances that the Q will be onsides. So both of my first lines are actually higher than the precentages quoted, since both fall back on the Q being onside. It will, however, affect both of those lines roughly equally, so can be ignored from a practical point of view.

Now, for some of your other comments...

rectifyinge count in ♠ is worthless, the ONLY squeeze you can manage after that is the show-up squeeze, since on the other cases finding the ♥Q with the ♠ is just as good as the finese.

Well, "rectifying" the count in makes the slam if are 3-3, or if in ducking a to the ten to rectify, you catch EAST with Jx or Qx of spades. The total odds of either of these (3-3 or doubleton/singleton spade honor on sides) is a respectiful 52.5%. So to suggest that it is "worthless" is a horrible understatement. It actually has slightly better odds than cashing the AK and hoping to catch the an honor. After that fails, you can still try cashing the high from hand for the unlikely event that EAST has the stiff Q (West having stiff helps, but falls into the same odds as hook), which as you said is about 1.2%. Failing that you can fall back on the hook, with the added benefit if WEST has the long spade, you have a showup squeeze that will allow you to make if EAST happens to have doubleton Q, of if he has three to Q and for reason know to him only, thinks he has to hold onto long to the JACK and figures you might hook the anyway so he pitches one (a pseudo squeeze).

Now for your odds....

♥Q bare= 1% 
♥ finese= 50%
♠honor drops=8%
♥ 3-3= 37.5%
♠+♥ squeeze = about 27% (it doesn´t apply when ♥=3-3 on the calculating, assuming ♥4-2 or worse is about 40%)

Well, technically, the odds of 3-3 split is 35.528, not 37.5, and we probabably should round bare queen off to 1.2. The odds of dropping a spade honor is 8.1. But these changes have little effect on your estimate of 78%, I calculate it as 78.75% For those who need to see how this is done, this is how you combine the chances....

Odds of dropping spade honor, 8.1, that leave 91.9% remaining. Try to drop the singleton Q, is 1.2%x91.9%, so that improve your odds of making to 9.01%. Of the roughly 91% of the time the first two ploys fail, you will make on the hook (this will be actually higher because restricted choice will apply, see above, but we will ignore for this calculation).. so 0.5x.90 which is 45.5% additional, raising the odds to 54.5%. Now the chance of 3-3 split is 35.5%, but this only helps after all the above feails, so this is 35.5 of the reaming 45.5% when earlier lines fail, this raises the odds to 70.67% of success. Now, you have your squeeze possibility. If the hand holding 4+ also happens to hold either 4+ or QJx of , he will be squeezed. I calculate the odds of this as being, 27.59%, raising the odds of this line to 78.8%.

Of course to be technical, the line of playing off two top hearts, will include cashing one , so you get that 8.1% chance as well, and if you happen to catch a 6-0 split, you can chance horses after the first round of . So the minimum odds of that line are, 79.7. And again, both these lines have a better chance because of restricted choice as it relates to the opening lead, but what ever effect it has on the odds, it will affect both nearly equally.

Ben
--Ben--

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2004-April-22, 15:20

thx Ben!, seems you are right as usual.

3 more things:

-I totally missed the Hx on east option, that´s why I called worthless that play, thx for correcting.

-I calculated all percentages 'analogically', I mean, jsut asked my mind what % would i give to them (except 3-3 wich somehow I forgot exact %), amazing I was that near!

-I am a strongly beleiver on restricted choice with major honors, but as I suggested on my first reply, I also beleive there is something as well to the 3-3 increase by the lead, meaning that, of course this argument is MUCH weaker that the last, but I still believe there i some point of no lead denying a 3=4=3=3 and maybe half the times a X=4=X=4 balanced, of course when Q offside, but we are suposing that card offside, else the contract makes on both lines.

Calculating it becomes impossible because it depends on the opponent style and skill (not to tell about bidding, wich I am suposing to be only NT&NT ;) ).

so Ben, do you think I am wrong about this?

#10 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-April-22, 15:57

Fluffy, on Apr 22 2004, 04:20 PM, said:

thx Ben!, seems you are right as usual.

3 more things:

-I totally missed the Hx on east option, that´s why I called worthless that play, thx for correcting.

-I calculated all percentages 'analogically', I mean, jsut asked my mind what % would i give to them (except 3-3 wich somehow I forgot exact %), amazing I was that near!

-I am a strongly beleiver on restricted choice with major honors, but as I suggested on my first reply, I also beleive there is something as well to the 3-3 increase by the lead, meaning that, of course this argument is MUCH weaker that the last, but I still believe there i some point of no lead denying a 3=4=3=3 and maybe half the times a X=4=X=4 balanced, of course when Q offside, but we are suposing that card offside, else the contract makes on both lines.

Calculating it becomes impossible because it depends on the opponent style and skill (not to tell about bidding, wich I am suposing to be only NT&NT ;)  ).

so Ben, do you think I am wrong about this?

Well, one of my favorite hands of all time (matchpoints) was a hnad where I "incorrectly" applied restricted choice to the opening lead (it actually worked out however) and I made two more tricks the entire 27 table field. Maybe I will post it.

But what do I think? I am not so sure about the 3-3 , but I too am a strong believer in drawing conclusions from what was led, and specifically what was not led. Restricted choice does apply to the opening lead. However, one has to take inot account the bidding. I assume south opened 1, so a lead would not have been that "attractive", and I assume north did bid a and some people would prefer to lead through than up to 's. Not hearing the auction, makes all this somewhat academic, but I think the calculated odds are actually, under estimates, because I believe there is greater than 1/2 and less than a 2/3 chance WEST is looking at the Q instead of 50/50, and all these lines make when WEST has the Q.

Ben
--Ben--

#11 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2004-April-22, 16:59

inquiry, on Apr 23 2004, 01:01 AM, said:

Actually, I am firm believer in restricted choice applying to the opening lead. The fact that WEST made a safe club lead increases the chances that the Q will be onsides.

snipped

Ben

Interesting topic re whether the lead introduces an element of restricted choice. Imho this is an element too difficult to guage, as the strength of your opponents has to play a part. Now you are reduced to making judgement calls.

What I mean by this is the following. I am sure we have all played against weak opponents who are terrified of making an attacking lead, (what I mean is from Q or K), against a slam. Sometimes these opponents are not good enough to read the bidding. eg you are on lead after the following auction

(1S) P (2C) P
(3S) P (4N) P
(5D) P (6S)

holding Kxx T98x Kxxx KJ
You have a possible S trick, best shot here is to lead a D before the losers go away on the C - your C cards are dust!
We all know players who would NEVER lead a D, but would lead the "safe" H

How do you take these intangibles into account if you are going to give credence to restricted choice on the opening lead?

#12 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-April-23, 20:13

The_Hog, on Apr 22 2004, 05:59 PM, said:

inquiry, on Apr 23 2004, 01:01 AM, said:

Actually, I am firm believer in restricted choice applying to the opening lead. The fact that WEST made a safe club lead increases the chances that the Q will be onsides.

snipped

Ben

Interesting topic re whether the lead introduces an element of restricted choice. Imho this is an element too difficult to guage, as the strength of your opponents has to play a part. Now you are reduced to making judgement calls.

What I mean by this is the following. I am sure we have all played against weak opponents who are terrified of making an attacking lead, (what I mean is from Q or K), against a slam. Sometimes these opponents are not good enough to read the bidding. eg you are on lead after the following auction

(1S) P (2C) P
(3S) P (4N) P
(5D) P (6S)

holding Kxx T98x Kxxx KJ
You have a possible S trick, best shot here is to lead a D before the losers go away on the C - your C cards are dust!
We all know players who would NEVER lead a D, but would lead the "safe" H

How do you take these intangibles into account if you are going to give credence to restricted choice on the opening lead?

Hi Ron,

Of course "restricted choice" applies to the quality of your opponents. But this is also true of the normal situation as well. If you play against someone who will always drop the Q from QJ (or alwasy drop the J), then restricted choice doesn't really apply. This also applies to the opening lead situation as well. You have to judge your opponent's willingness to lead from somethiong or the other. Against unknowns, you are on you own. Against your local club players and favorite victims (er.... opponents), you should have something of a bead on their leading style.

Ben
--Ben--

#13 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-April-24, 18:08

mishovnbg, on Apr 22 2004, 04:18 AM, said:

Best percentage line imho: K, A (this order, because you may need 1 more entry to play ). If E have 5+, than you make J. If W have 5+, low to 10 finesse and play for 3-3 or J/Qx in E. If E put J or Q, take, go to dummy with J and low again from dummy, finesse if not J/Q by E. The beauty of this line is percentages are commulative, because if bad break, you can stiil try later.
Misho

I agree with Misho.

Mike ;)
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#14 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-24, 18:31

Its right that 3-3 spade after taking the AK is more then 50%.
on the other hand
after AK of spade, taking the finnese of heart give you more then 59%.
The finnese is probebly still a bit better.

#15 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2004-April-24, 19:46

OK as this is still generating responses, I will publish the reply from Tim Bourke, author and bridge analyst:

Hi Ron,

The best play for three tricks in spades (71.8%) is SA then low towards the remaining K10x, finessing the ten if East follows low.

The best play in hearts is HAK and low towards the jack (77%).

Playing spades as suggested works 71% and you have the heart suit in reserve - choosing to play a squeeze or for a finesse as appropriate. This is clearly the best line.

These could change if there was a skewed distribution in clubs.

Without S10 and 9, ducking a spade works if spades 3-3 or the heart finesse is on (68%).

regards

Tim

#16 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2004-April-25, 14:24

I didnt read any post so this line may have been suggested, and i dont do math so i cant give you percentages but:

i would play ace of spades, cross to dummy and lead a spade to the ten. This line seems easy and normal, i will make when QJ of spades are onside, or heart hook is on, or spades are 3-3, or Hx of spades onside...how can i play otherwise?

#17 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-April-25, 15:32

The_Hog, on Apr 24 2004, 08:46 PM, said:

OK as this is still generating responses, I will publish the reply from Tim Bourke, author and bridge analyst:

Hi Ron,

Tim gave you a list of suits in isolation and not the best play. Prod him. Lol.

Ben
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users