Scoring: IMP

Open Room:
P - P -1-X
3-X -P-4
P -5-P-6

Close Room:
P -P -1-X
2-X -P -P

This deal is played by some expert players in a tourament. I have some questions here:
1) Will you open South hand? you have some value and not bad shape, but minors and stiff A are not so great. According to Zar points, you have 28, it's an opening hand.
2)Will you raise to 2 or 3 with East hand? Clearly they don't have contract, but how about minors?, partner's 3rd seat 1 may be weak, so they may have minor slam. Should we do something to remove their space and but not to push them too high? Which one is better?
3)What's your comment on two tables' bidding, and what's your own choice?
Michael Sun

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-April-20, 09:36

1) No, at least on most 5 card major systems, a stiff A and many J to devaluate, and if you open 1 there is no rebid if partner ansewrs 1, (so if pening I would open 1, but that is just a matter of style)

2) No, too weak, on the given hand jsut see, you could be playing 3 doubled against 2 doubled for a sure lose :)

Can´t criticice any o f the biddings on any table, both look correct, bid 3 and pass 2 doubled are too agresive IMO, and maybe any of the cuebids, but you can´t argue with success.

#3 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-20, 10:48

1) Yes, 1d crystal clear to me
2) 2h and 3h are pointless and dangerous being vulnerable I think I will redouble 1h to see what happens, now south may have a problem what do they play over this redouble?
3) I find the bidding at both tables horrible.

Luis
The legend of the black octogon.

#4 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-20, 15:01

luis, on Apr 20 2004, 11:48 AM, said:

2) 2h and 3h are pointless and dangerous being vulnerable I think I will redouble 1h to see what happens, now south may have a problem what do they play over this redouble?

Can you exapain this to a novice like me, what are your criteria for a redouble ?

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-April-20, 20:41

cnszsun, on Apr 20 2004, 05:52 AM, said:

Scoring: IMP

Open Room:
P -  P -1-X
3-X -P-4
P -5-P-6

Close Room:
P -P -1-X
2-X -P -P

This deal is played by some expert players in a tourament. I have some questions here:
1) Will you open South hand? you have some value and not bad shape, but minors and stiff A are not so great. According to Zar points, you have 28, it's an opening hand.
2)Will you raise to 2 or 3 with East hand? Clearly they don't have contract, but how about minors?, partner's 3rd seat 1 may be weak, so they may have minor slam. Should we do something to remove their space and but not to push them too high? Which one is better?
3)What's your comment on two tables' bidding, and what's your own choice?

1) I would open south's hand, no problem, no second doubts.

2) I would raise with EAST hand after a 1 overcall. But no higher than 3.

3) I am not happy with the bidding at either table. First, South should open. So, ok, let's handle the closed room first. I will assume South's double was "responsive." I see no reason to make a responsive double here. So South's bid should be either 3, or perhaps 2NT (over 2) if this is some form of scramble looking for a fit at the three level. (Can't be lebehnsol, simple pass with bad hand).

I would be thinking something like this for closed room if South passed.

-P---P--1-X
2-2N-P-3
-P--3N--P--P
P

The open room bidding was better, but still not ideal (hard to argue with success however). Here the responsive double is best, because 1) 3NT would be to play, and 2) to bid pase 3NT by bidding a minor may miss the best game contract. After the responsive dbl, North's 4 was inspired. I wonder if this is pick a game contract as opposed to 4NT. Obviously if partner is forcing to five of a minor opposite South's hand is worth forcing to slam.

My auction would begin 1 as south, and we would wind up in 6 or 6
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-21, 07:50

luis, on Apr 20 2004, 04:48 PM, said:

Redouble?, am I too old fashioned (althoug I am only 24) or redouble makes a forcing sequence for us forcing us to either play or double opponents?

#7 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-21, 13:02

Fluffy, on Apr 21 2004, 01:50 PM, said:

luis, on Apr 20 2004, 04:48 PM, said:

Redouble?, am I too old fashioned (althoug I am only 24) or redouble makes a forcing sequence for us forcing us to either play or double opponents?

Since pd is a third hand opener, if he rebids his major when you redouble there's no forcing situation at all. Opener may not have opening values.
Seems like it is a favourable situation for our side

#8 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-April-22, 18:28

If I understand this correctly, Luis would xx with the East cards. As a xx typically suggests no fit for partnebr and a hand that is willing to penalise the opponents, such an action is fraught with danger. If opener has a genuine opening, he may well decide to "take a swing" at a contract played by the opponents. If this is pulled who knows where they will end up. Far better not to mislead partner.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#9 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-April-22, 19:27

The_Hog, on Apr 22 2004, 07:28 PM, said:

If I understand this correctly, Luis would xx with the East cards. As a xx typically suggests no fit for partnebr and a hand that is willing to penalise the opponents, such an action is fraught with danger. If opener has a genuine opening, he may well decide to "take a swing" at a contract played by the opponents. If this is pulled who knows where they will end up. Far better not to mislead partner.

That can't be right. Luis can't be suggesting REDBL unless it is a transfer to 1 or some kind of artificial bid showing weak hand with support. East simply can't be make any kind of normal Redouble.

Ben
--Ben--

#10 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-22, 20:52

If i understand correctly what Luis is doing is a controlled psyc.
That is when passed hand a redouble can be a bid to disctuct or the normal redouble, partner is suppose to bid naturally but not to get too exited, and if ill make a later heart support he suppose to understand i wasnt serious about my redouble.
I feel like he began to tell a secret and regret it at the last second
left us all curios. B)

#11 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-23, 07:56

Flame, on Apr 23 2004, 02:52 AM, said:

If i understand correctly what Luis is doing is a controlled psyc.
That is when passed hand a redouble can be a bid to disctuct or the normal redouble, partner is suppose to bid naturally but not to get too exited, and if ill make a later heart support he suppose to understand i wasnt serious about my redouble.
I feel like he began to tell a secret and regret it at the last second
left us all curios. B)

Exactly flame, specially when you are vul since you don't want to bid 2h or 3h.

#12 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-April-23, 18:12

Most amusing if opener decides that the xx was a normal xx and bid accordingly. I don't like having to apologise to partners/team mates for this sort of thing.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#13 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-April-24, 16:47

1 ) I'll open any day of the week

2 ) 3, unless I play with myself, then I XX

3 ) I strongly disagree with the bids from N/S

Mike ;)
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#14 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2004-April-25, 04:25

1. Yes
2. 2
3. Open room reasonable, close room - stupid.
Misho
MishoVnBg

#15 User is offline   EarlPurple 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-April-26, 10:53

1. No I prefer to pass with South's hand - no decent rebid, not a good suit for partner to lead - lots of defence if they win the contract. (Singleton ace is defensive, not offensive). Worst position in which to open (2nd in hand all vulnerable). Move a small club into the diamonds and I might just open 1D but pass is still probably better.

2. I think I am chicken and prefer 2H because of my spade holding, which means they're bidding minors or 3NT.

3. I don't agree with penalty pass of 2H. But had they passed out 3 hearts and led trumps at every opportunity it would go down 5 thus a flat board with 1390 at the other table.
You can't keep a good man down

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users