Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

a hand's book ?

#1 User is offline   jjsb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2003-April-02, 21:49

looks like it when i received it the hand as been rotated to make south declare ... IMP , you're vulnerable they are not . the auction goes

E--------------S------------W-----------N
1NT(*) --------X------------P-----------P
2C (**)--------P------------2H--------2S
P---------------3NT(***) all pass

(*) weak 10-13
(**) natural
(***) i don't play with a regular partner i haven't discussed so i just bid what can make life easier (is 3S forcing or should i bid 4S directly.

the 2 hands

J9653
AK942

AK2
QJ42
AKQ

WEst lead 7 of Heart (4th best) and East take with the Ace to play 10 of H.

to you

regards
syl

#2 User is offline   Yzerman 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-April-03, 04:02

J9653
AK942

AK2
QJ42
AKQ

WEst lead 7 of Heart (4th best) and East take with the Ace to play 10 of H.

3 scenarios;

a) West led from 4 hearts (unlikely - given bidding)
:P West led from 5 hearts
c) West led from 6 hearts

* In all cases RHO holds the remainder of the hcp.

If (a), the East hand has =>4 clubs and 4 hearts, and
a finite number of diamond/spades.  Regardless I duck at trick 2 and the defense will clear the heart suit.  I cash the AK and a spade and claim (East is known to have SQ, DJ, and QJ from biddingand cant have 4 spades) with 3S, 1H, 2D, 3C tricks.

If (B) duck the second heart.  East will continue low heart and the defense clears the heart suit.  East is know to have 3 hearts and => 4 clubs.  In all cases East holds the remainder of the high cards.  I am in hand with a winning heart and play a diamond toward dummy use make avoidance play against the West hand until East is forced to win a high honor (while still maintaing the A or K of diamonds in dummy).  At this point, you are guaranteed to make contract (If 4 diamond in East then doubleton SQ, If 3 diamonds in East then 4 diamond tricks).

If ©, East will retain the lead at trick 3 and I assume East switches to club.  I win the club and continue hearts and East is forced to discard twice (assuming West wins heart and continues club - best defense).  Whatever discards the contract is guaranteed by using the avoidance in diamond suit.
MAL

#3 User is offline   jjsb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2003-April-04, 19:07

J9653
AK942

AK2
QJ42
AKQ

thanks for answering that "problem"  and thanks yzerman to play like me (i wish u are other declarer in that contract cause i wouldn't have lost alone ... 3.5 Imps :P . yes i did that i duck the 10 of H defense clear the H i make the avoidance play in D and make the contract just done to finally... loose 3.5 Imps . everyone in the same contract , received the same lead . and don't duck , thed defense duck the J (most of the case or overtake to play again) . declarer then play AK of Spade  to see Q10 falls B) for 11 tricks . i like the bridge for that reason :). if someone want the 4 hands i'll send them but i'm a bit busy and gotta run it's why it took lot's of time to write that and it's why i don't send a complete "PM" of this hand (in theory u don't need to duck to win , even you play J u'll always win as long as u trust the bid ) but i'll not enter into all that .

regards
syl

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users