Penalising infringements of Best Behaviour at Bridge law 74 does not specify penalties
#1
Posted 2026-October-03, 06:21
The EBU promotes Best Behaviour at Bridge
Law 74 is clear on what is not allowed
However neither specifies what is the penalty for infringement.
We have discussed in committee how to help curb one players persistent derogatory comments about others play.
I realised our policy puts all the onus on the injured party. Our disciplinary process requires them lodge a written complaint.
At the time the person affected freezes and in an able to act; they later feels aggrieved / ashamed.
The comments are heard by others at the table but they dont react either - this has been mis-labelled as spectator apathy - it is also freeze.
Finally if called as a TD, I would be unsure of my powers.
Has anyone looked at changing the onus on the offender?
Anyone overhearing derogatory remarks is expected to call the TD.
The TD if called is expected to give an A+ / A- for that board.
The person judged at fault is allowed to appeal afterwards
Apologies if the subject has been done exhaustively on the past but I think a change is overdue,
#2
Posted 2026-October-03, 07:34
Absent any guidance in the White Book, I would start with 25% of a top. I once heard a club director here (she wasn't at my table) in Rochester NY suspend a player for thirty days for being abusive first to his partner, then to his opponents, and then to the director. She was backed up by the club owner. When the player returned a month later, he was and remained very well behaved.
The ACBL's Zero Tolerance Policy says that an announcement should be made at the beginning of any session where the policy is in effect stating that it is in effect and the if a player violates the policy the director should please be called. If the director determines that a violation has occurred he shall assign a 1/4 board disciplinary penalty to all players in violation, no matter who started it.
A policy that has no teeth is useless. And the onus to call the director should never be on the victim.
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
Our ultimate goal on defense is to know by trick two or three everyone's hand at the table. -- Mike777
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean
#3
Posted 2026-October-03, 08:11
Certainly not here in Italy, any such suspension is decided by the RA after a hearing initiated by Director's report.
As I understand it, EBU has ethics committees with teeth both at club and national level.
#4
Posted 2026-October-03, 08:30
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
Our ultimate goal on defense is to know by trick two or three everyone's hand at the table. -- Mike777
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean
#6
Posted 2026-October-03, 17:40
pescetom, on 2026-October-03, 14:54, said:
If so that is very different from the role of Director over here (and excessive, IMO).
It wasn't "a few" months, it was one month, and from a director who never gave procedural, much less disciplinary penalties. She was once called to our table by an opponent, who point-blank accused me of cheating. When I said I didn't appreciate that, her response was "we're just gonna let that slide". In the nearly 30 years I watched her direct here, the 30 day expulsion was the only penalty of any kind I ever saw her give. And I may be mis-remembering, since I wasn't at or even close to that table -- possibly she just sent him home for that day, and when she reported that to the club owner, he suspended him for thirty days. If so, I'm pretty sure she'd have done the same thing in her own club.
As for common, I don't have enough data to answer that. I will say that this one incident is the only one I can remember where the director ejected the player. In fact I think it's the only zero-tolerance case in a club I've seen.
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
Our ultimate goal on defense is to know by trick two or three everyone's hand at the table. -- Mike777
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean
#7
Posted 2026-October-04, 13:04
blackshoe, on 2026-October-03, 17:40, said:
As for common, I don't have enough data to answer that. I will say that this one incident is the only one I can remember where the director ejected the player. In fact I think it's the only zero-tolerance case in a club I've seen.
Fair enough, just curious.
I imagine and hope it was at least the club deciding, I don't want that kind of power as a Director.
I give plenty of penalties for all sorts of wrongdoings, the last just an hour ago for a trivial card left on the floor. But I cannot go beyond disqualifying from my tournament and even that requires consensus of the organizer.
In a situation of similar gravity to that you describe I have reported players to the RA which can disqualify for months.
#8
Posted 2026-October-04, 17:59
pescetom, on 2026-October-03, 14:54, said:
If so that is very different from the role of Director over here (and excessive, IMO).
In many cases the Director is also the club owner, or is delegated oversight power by the owner.
#9
Posted 2026-October-05, 15:15
We dont run a sanctioned game with a zero-tolerance policy; instead, we operate a non-sanctioned duplicate game where clear expectations of acceptable behaviour are communicated to all players. Players who cannot follow these expectations are warned and then suspended. Repeat offenders are not invited back. The game is calm and enjoyable for the players and the director.
Bridge should be fun!
#10
Posted 2026-October-08, 10:54
And yes, we have people who freeze, and then come and complain when they can. And yes, the director says "I can't do anything about it now, but if you call at the time, I can. But I need to have heard about it, thank you." And if they can override their freeze reflex (and yes, I know, beating that training, especially if you are of a certain family upbringing and gender, can be Very Hard to Impossible), then fine. If not, then there are other options.
An alternative is to get partner to step up, if you know you'll have to fight the freeze. Away from the table (preferably away from the club), have a discussion with partner that this happens, this is how I react when it happens, but I want it to be pointed out; if you see it, can you call please? Yes, some are worried that if they say anything, they'll now be on the bully's list and start getting it from them as well. And sometimes they're right. But it's another option.
But if you (as TD) hear, from several people, independently, that this person does this, sure, you don't have to have a smoking gun to do anything at the time - but. Raise it with the club management(2). Raise it with the other directors. Keep logs of the reports. And then have somebody from management discuss with the player - "We've heard from several people that.... That is not acceptable behaviour at this club. Whether that was what happened or not, it's what's being reported; I'm sure it won't happen again, will it?" And if that doesn't solve the problem, then you are likely to be able to catch the bully doing it just by wandering around the room; and if you do, then after that warning (and documentation), the next thing club management does has the word "months" in it.
And if it doesn't, then, well, that's clearly the "cultural mores" of this club. Your option is to continue to play there or not (or open a club yourself).
(1) Yes, "saying it". Following up with enforcing it is - another issue.
(2) Which reminds me, I need to write a report myself...
#11
Posted 2026-October-08, 15:04
mycroft, on 2026-October-08, 10:54, said:
I agree with most of what you say, but I see this as a very last option.
Around here at least, most clubs are barely self sustaining in terms of participation and skill perpetuation.
Also frequently prone to such splits by dissidents which do lead to a new "club" (sanctioned or not) but which is often either even worse or not self sustaining.
I've seen it happen time and time again, in many clubs in many sports.
Here at least, we have a third option of contesting the leadership democratically with the hope of becoming part of the directive or even President and putting things right.
That implies giving up being a Director and I'm still in the second option of trying to improve the "cultural mores", even without the support of higher powers.
#12
Posted 2026-October-08, 19:05
But "start your own game" frequently reminds people of how much they can actually put up with to avoid all *that* work (and bad language, and frustration, and level of complaints, and...)
Should it be less than it is? Yeah, of course. Should the clubs (and the EBU) push harder to make the meaning behind "BB@B" (and "Active Ethics", and at least all but the actual Z word(*) of ZT over here) more than just lip service? Yeah, of course. Should we all be allowed to be hothouse flowers in what is, frankly, even at the club level, a very competitive, hard-fought game where sometimes people's reactions may not have enough thought behind them (and frankly, if it's aimed at partner, why should they think about how the opponents will take it? Yes, we all know why, but would that be anyone's first, or even third, thought)? I think we're allowed to expect that the world, even our world, is a little less delicate than that, while still aiming to be better.
(*) ZT, in general, is a tool for lazy or landshark-averse administrators to duck responsibility for finding responsibility. It is frequently a tool of the bully themselves (ask me how I know (but know I won't answer)); and frequently harms the bullied at least as much as the bully. I will (and have) fight any attempt to actually insist on "zero", as it causes more harm than it solves.
#13
Posted 2026-October-09, 12:27
mycroft, on 2026-October-08, 19:05, said:
But "start your own game" frequently reminds people of how much they can actually put up with to avoid all *that* work (and bad language, and frustration, and level of complaints, and...)
Should it be less than it is? Yeah, of course. Should the clubs (and the EBU) push harder to make the meaning behind "BB@B" (and "Active Ethics", and at least all but the actual Z word(*) of ZT over here) more than just lip service? Yeah, of course. Should we all be allowed to be hothouse flowers in what is, frankly, even at the club level, a very competitive, hard-fought game where sometimes people's reactions may not have enough thought behind them (and frankly, if it's aimed at partner, why should they think about how the opponents will take it? Yes, we all know why, but would that be anyone's first, or even third, thought)? I think we're allowed to expect that the world, even our world, is a little less delicate than that, while still aiming to be better.
(*) ZT, in general, is a tool for lazy or landshark-averse administrators to duck responsibility for finding responsibility. It is frequently a tool of the bully themselves (ask me how I know (but know I won't answer)); and frequently harms the bullied at least as much as the bully. I will (and have) fight any attempt to actually insist on "zero", as it causes more harm than it solves.
Agree with that too, and thanks for the push (I should have done it last opportunity, but I was too optimistic).
As for ZT*, my thought has always been that it should be (a genuine) LT.
* the one time that my RA did declare ZT was for misbehaviour online in R*B* during Covid. I disqualified a player for a vile insult to opponent, he got a reprimand (in normal times it would have cost him 6 months).

Help