BBO Discussion Forums: tell me your bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

tell me your bid

#1 User is offline   cencio 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 270
  • Joined: 2017-August-11

Posted 2026-October-02, 03:22

explain me the correct bid of these hands

In south is it better to bid 1 nt instead of 2c ? and then to go to 3nt or pass? and why?
another similar

In south is it better to bid 1 nt instead of 2c ? and then to go to 3nt or pass? and why?
0

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,344
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2026-October-02, 03:29

The top one is a 1N opener, this is a decent 15 count with the intermediates

The second just bid 3N
0

#3 User is offline   kereru67 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 86
  • Joined: 2012-February-26

Posted 2026-October-02, 03:54

View Postcencio, on 2026-October-02, 03:22, said:

explain me the correct bid of these hands

In south is it better to bid 1 nt instead of 2c ? and then to go to 3nt or pass? and why?
another similar

In south is it better to bid 1 nt instead of 2c ? and then to go to 3nt or pass? and why?


In the first one it depends on what your agreed NT range is. If 14 is in your range, that should be your opening bid. If you're playing 15-17, I don't agree with shading it on this hand because of the weak ♥. If you're playing a 15-17 NT, then open 1♦ and rebid 1NT. Don't show a second minor with 4-4, it suggests an unbalanced hand, and neither minor is likely to score better than NT. After you bid 1NT, you've defined your hand within a range and it's up to your partner whether or not to try for game.

In the second example I'd also consider a 1NT opening if it's within your agreed HCP range, or a 1NT rebid if it's not. I guess I really don't like minor suit contracts.
0

#4 User is online   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,161
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-October-02, 04:03

#1 you have 14HCP, 2NT showes an inv. strength hand 10-12 inviting game,
in case you are not min, you have min 24, you bid game
Declining the invite my be an option, if you play MP

#2 You can rebid 1NT, but showing the 2-suiter is not wrong
you are max. for a 1NT rebid, the 5th diamond (with the fitting Queen of hearts)
may mean, you are too strong, ..., the adv. of rebidding 1NT you have systems
agreement like NMF, you describe your strength pretty tight
you bid 3NT following the same reasoning as #1
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
1

#5 User is offline   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,223
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted 2026-October-02, 04:05

On the 1st I'd bid 1N as South and wouldn't upgrade to a 1N opener

I'm OK with the bidding on the 2nd. There may be an argument to open 1N to prevent a 1-level Major overcall, but I'd tend not to do it.

In both some may open 1♣ playing a short ♣ - 'may be short, may have 5♦'
0

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,344
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2026-October-02, 04:07

View Postkereru67, on 2026-October-02, 03:54, said:

In the first one it depends on what your agreed NT range is. If 14 is in your range, that should be your opening bid. If you're playing 15-17, I don't agree with shading it on this hand because of the weak ♥. If you're playing a 15-17 NT, then open 1♦ and rebid 1NT. Don't show a second minor with 4-4, it suggests an unbalanced hand, and neither minor is likely to score better than NT. After you bid 1NT, you've defined your hand within a range and it's up to your partner whether or not to try for game.

In the second example I'd also consider a 1NT opening if it's within your agreed HCP range, or a 1NT rebid if it's not. I guess I really don't like minor suit contracts.


I disagree with your hand evaluation, AJT is 2 tricks opposite xxx more often than AQx, but less good if partner has the K so I evaluate it as 6 points. FWIW K&R evaluates it at 15.05. Low doubletons should not come in to your thinking when opening 1N, but if you do choose to open 1♦ a 1N rebid is correct, never bid 2♣.

The second I don't have strong views about whether you rebid 1N or 2♣
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users