BBO Discussion Forums: A fly on the wall - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A fly on the wall

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,448
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-October-01, 15:20

Alas I was Director here.

MP


Your call here?

For me not quite 2NT (give me spades T instead of 6) in my rogue partnership, an automatic 1♣ elsewhere.
0

#2 User is offline   mw64ahw 

  • nonconformist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,223
  • Joined: 2021-February-13
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.
    Racket sports

Posted 2026-October-01, 15:44

Fairly straightforward in either of the TW versions I play. After 1♣
1♦ tfr - 2♠ 43s5
1♥ tfr - 3♦ 43s5

0

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,344
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2026-October-01, 17:01

1♣ no second choice
4

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,996
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2026-October-01, 19:23

1♣ or are you crazy?
Long tank before pulling 1C card could suggest many things, no problem yet.
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#5 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,161
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-October-02, 00:36

1C

2NT would only be an option, if playing 19-?, playing 20-?
2NT is no option, you only have 18HCP, your 5 card suit is
nothing worth to meantion, and the shape is also not very bal.

1C, you dont have a rebid issue, you always can make a 2S
GF bid, showing 54.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#6 User is offline   paulg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,258
  • Joined: 2003-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edinburgh

Posted 2026-October-02, 02:14

If I saw an intermediate or advanced player open anything other than 1♣, then they deserve a good thrashing. I would not give their partner a penalty for doing this afterwards.

For example: https://youtu.be/78b67l_yxUc

This post has been edited by paulg: 2026-October-02, 02:17

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades
0

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,448
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-October-02, 06:17

 jillybean, on 2026-October-01, 19:23, said:


Long tank before pulling 1C card could suggest many things, no problem yet.

Yesterday I encountered a creative pair in a BBO tournament with the irksome regulation "obligatory to concede Undo in bidding phase": 1C Undo 1NT just happened to be 15 balanced, cheerfully passed by partner.
0

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,448
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-October-02, 06:27

Playing natural (or Transfer Walsh, I imagine):

MP


Playing Walsh:

MP




Your call now?
0

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,344
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2026-October-02, 06:51

I don't play walsh, would bid 1♠, for us this is "forcing if you have a real response" 4♠/5♣ 4414 would have opened 1♦.
0

#10 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,161
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-October-02, 07:08

Hi,

I bid spades in a forcing manner, i.e. either 1S or 2S, I plan to follow up with
bidding hearts to show my distribution.

In my reg. p, I would need to bid 2S for various reasons.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#11 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,235
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-October-02, 07:22

View Postpescetom, on 2026-October-02, 06:27, said:

Playing natural (or Transfer Walsh, I imagine):

MP


Playing Walsh:

MP




Your call now?


two spades in both examples, one spade would certainly not be forcing, Playing Transfers over one club I could understand a 1NT rebid choice (17/18-19, balanced).
0

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,953
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2026-October-02, 07:41

1S. Tte suits are wring and the honour location wrong for 2S imo. In and out valuation suggests that this is not a strong 18 count. 8 hcp in my long suits, 10 in my short suits.

And for me, 1S is not forcing. If partner passes I doubt we have missed a good game.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
1

#13 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,448
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-October-02, 09:10

 mikeh, on 2026-October-02, 07:41, said:

1S. Tte suits are wring and the honour location wrong for 2S imo. In and out valuation suggests that this is not a strong 18 count. 8 hcp in my long suits, 10 in my short suits.

And for me, 1S is not forcing. If partner passes I doubt we have missed a good game.

Interesting, one of our old school and most experienced players did the same.

I would have no qualms about taking the non forcing low road if I shared your evaluation of the hand strength, but I can't bring myself to do that although I may well be wrong. It looks fine to me for a jump shift [reverse deleted], even in possible partial hearts misfit.

I would bid 2S and let the system take its course.
0

#14 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,161
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2026-October-02, 09:32

View Postpescetom, on 2026-October-02, 09:10, said:

Interesting, one of our old school and most experienced players did the same.

I would have no qualms about taking the non forcing low road if I shared your evaluation of the hand strength, but I can't bring myself to do that although I may well be wrong. It looks fine to me for a reverse, even in possible partial hearts misfit.

I would bid 2S and let the system take its course.


It is certainly not a terrific 18 count, ..., I guess playing MP may even be odds o going the low road, but I dont think,
I can see myself bidding only 1S.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#15 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,953
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2026-October-02, 09:38

View Postpescetom, on 2026-October-02, 09:10, said:

Interesting, one of our old school and most experienced players did the same.

I would have no qualms about taking the non forcing low road if I shared your evaluation of the hand strength, but I can't bring myself to do that although I may well be wrong. It looks fine to me for a reverse, even in possible partial hearts misfit.

I would bid 2S and let the system take its course.

2S is not a reverse. While there is some overlap between the hand strength required for a reverse and that for a jumpshift, reverses have a lower minimum and do not, for the vast majotiyof players create a gf
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
1

#16 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,448
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2026-October-02, 09:55

 mikeh, on 2026-October-02, 09:38, said:

2S is not a reverse. While there is some overlap between the hand strength required for a reverse and that for a jumpshift, reverses have a lower minimum and do not, for the vast majotiyof players create a gf

Sure, I was just thinking in Italian where a jump shift is inappropriately termed reverse.
0

#17 User is offline   DavidKok 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,650
  • Joined: 2020-March-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands

Posted 2026-October-02, 10:13

1♣ into 1♠. I do not consider this close. If partner decides to rebid 2♠ with this hand we will discuss after the game, they've misunderstood something that might come up again. I've had the misfortune of playing with people who insist that the 1♠ rebid is limited to about 17 or a good 16, and stronger should jump. Even in Dutch Doubleton, where 1♥ promises 8(+) or so hcp (but we're allowed to upgrade into it), jump bidding 2♠ is a waste of space and system. The unfortunate news is that these 'up to 17' players might hang us with a 7-count, but one board is a small price to pay for such a valuable teaching moment.
1

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,953
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2026-October-02, 10:41

View Postpescetom, on 2026-October-02, 09:55, said:

Sure, I was just thinking in Italian where a jump shift is inappropriately termed reverse.

I tried thinking in Italian as well. But I didn’t understand what I was thinking😀
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
1

#19 User is offline   bluenikki 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 926
  • Joined: 2019-October-14

Posted 2026-October-02, 20:02

View PostDavidKok, on 2026-October-02, 10:13, said:

The unfortunate news is that these 'up to 17' players might hang us with a 7-count, but one board is a small price to pay for such a valuable teaching moment.

Which 7-count? Not an ace and a king, I hope.

That's the crucial question. Which 7s will responder strain not to pass?
0

#20 User is offline   DavidKok 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,650
  • Joined: 2020-March-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands

Posted Yesterday, 01:47

View Postbluenikki, on 2026-October-02, 20:02, said:

Which 7-count? Not an ace and a king, I hope.

That's the crucial question. Which 7s will responder strain not to pass?
I would expect responder to bid again with even a lousy 6-count and a good chunk of 5-counts. To me the talk of 'which 7-count' is a distraction - I expect responder to bid again (in particular, 2♣) with ♠xxx, ♥KQxxx, ♦xx, ♣xxx.
My main point I am trying to convey is that 1♠ is, while NF, not excluding most 18- and 19-counts. I do not want partner to pass it with a normal 6-count. The logic is not complicated: if your hand is decent for spades, don't leave me at the 1-level. If your hand is not decent for spades, take me out of them. There is so much room left to find out best contract, and 1♠ is almost never that contract. I would only consider passing if I had a hand which met all the following criteria:
  • Weaker than any normal response, meaning typically a 4-count or some soft 5-counts (note: coincidentally, Dutch Doubleton excludes these from the 1♥ response - but I'm writing this from the position of a standard system).
  • Exactly 3 spades (with 4, raise. With 2 or fewer, take me to a better strain).
  • At most 2 clubs (otherwise pull to 2♣).
Note that I play 1m-2♥ shows 4-8, and since my 1♠ rebid is unbalanced responder can pull to 2♣ with only 3 cards, so the only problem hands are 2=5=4=2 and those of the 5-5 reds type.
0

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users