Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

awards in BBo tourneys?

#1 User is offline   unfussycor 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-May-22, 07:15

Thought of a way to get BBo tourneys more interesting ;). Notice that this only works on bbo sponsored tourneys and not private ones.
In regular tournaments on clubs u usually get prizes in form of points and money etc, my suggestion is that if u win a touerny at BBo u get a golden W (winner) or a golden T(touerny) besides ur name for a couple of days.
maybe this is a bad idea but someone may agree ::)

#2 User is offline   suzzz 

• Pip

Posted 2003-May-27, 21:25

Personal satisfaction is probably sufficient reward for those of us who love the game..it would be so easy to cheat using MSN simultaneously! In the very unlikely event i ever won a tournament a big W would be embarrassing....

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-May-27, 21:32

Cheating at online bridge, while easy to do, is actually easier to catch if anyone suspects it is happening. The record of a player... how they bid, how they defend, how they signal, is right stored right on line for all to see. I assure you that an good advanced player, or an expert wouldn't have to examine very many hands to catch blanant cheating. I hope never comes to someone checking over the hand record of players to examine for cheating. AFter all, you are right, the point is personal satisfaction.

Ben
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   Cave_Draco 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-May-27, 21:47

"Personal satisfaction", Ben?

One player can lose any game of bridge, it takes TWO to win, :).
"I know that there is only one power worth having. That is the power, not to take, but to accept; not to have, but to give."

#5 User is offline   Rhutobello 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-May-28, 02:57

One player can lose any game of bridge, it takes TWO to win, :).

LOL, Great then we can have double satisfaction :) (JK)
Edvin say "a smile a day keep the doctor away"

#6 User is offline   skrshawk 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Doubling everything... there's nothing in life that shouldn't be doubled... except for, well... um....

Posted 2003-May-28, 05:16

As it stands were are analyzing the hands of those accused of cheating and have almost a dozen players being more actively watched for suspicious play. The way I see it someone good enough to not need to cheat won't and someone that would understand cheating enough to try to beat the system wouldn't be good enough at it for a skilled player to look at the hand record and figure out the hand wasn't played according to any system.

Cheaters discovered will be barred from BBO, not just tournaments.

Take care,
John
John Chodan (skrshawk)
Administrator, BridgeBase Forums

#7 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-May-28, 06:29

One player can lose any game of bridge, it takes TWO to win, :D.

Well, even dragon's should see "personal satisfaction" was quoting suzzz's post. How would I know what it feels like to win? :)
--Ben--

#8 User is offline   JRG 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-May-28, 14:45

Cheating - an interesting and yet unpleasant topic.

I haven't played as much online as I think most BBO members; I've probably kibitzed just as much as I've played.

I've not played against many players (maybe 2) who I suspected were cheating; however, when kibitzing, I've seen several that I was almost certain were cheating.

Interestingly enough, one player I was sure was cheating then got into a ridiculous contract and butchered it badly -- so we should be VERY, VERY careful about raising suspicions of cheating. Even bad bids and plays sometimes come up smelling of roses. And, good players make sleepy plays or have "golden moments".
JRG

#9 User is offline   unfussycor 

• Pip

Posted 2003-May-29, 17:35

Just wonder how the topic chsnged from awards to cheating?????????++ >:)

#10 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2003-May-29, 17:55

I vote for idea of "medal" rewards. Much more fun if you after tournament have little gold/silver/bronze Fred's portrait near name;). Cheaters know how they win - cannot run from yourself! Without rewards we also have it, if i right understand.
Misho
MishoVnBg

#11 User is offline   Cave_Draco 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-May-29, 18:50

Awards promote "unethical" behaviour, >:(.

If a pupil of mine beats me? I delight & am confident that it was done ethically.

Bidding, Declarer play, Defence & Ethics... The 4 key aspects of bridge.

I remember when the Olympics was an amateur event... IMO, golf has more right to be included than, say, tennis?
"I know that there is only one power worth having. That is the power, not to take, but to accept; not to have, but to give."

#12 User is offline   JRG 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-May-29, 23:27

My answer depends on what your question was:

1) How did the subject line change?
2) Why did you change the discussion in this thread to "cheating"?

If (1), then when you reply, simply type something different in the "Subject" line. I don't think one should change the subject matter of the thread, but if the posts are discussing more than one thing, I think the subject line of each post should say what is being addressed. I was addressing the issue of cheating.

If (2), then I believe several of the posts raised the issue of tournaments, especially when there are awards, but even if only prestige is at stake, bringing out (encouraging ?) cheating. I find cheating distasteful, but it happens. It is part of the real world.

Some of the posts discussed how cheating can be detected. I was attempting to suggest being very careful about (a) accusing someone of cheating and (b) what evidence might tend to substantiate a charge of cheating.
JRG

#13 User is offline   Rhutobello 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-May-30, 06:34

As long as you promote "Awards" you must fight "cheating" so the topic has not changed in my opinion, you just got the side effect of it 8)
Edvin say "a smile a day keep the doctor away"

#14 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2003-May-30, 07:24

Awards promote "unethical" behaviour, >:(.

If a pupil of mine beats me? I delight & am confident that it was done ethically.

Bidding, Declarer play, Defence & Ethics... The 4 key aspects of bridge.

I remember when the Olympics was an amateur event... IMO, golf has more right to be included than, say, tennis?

In my opinion you miss most important aspect of bridge - Psychology. Main difference between chess for example and great game Bridge.
Misho
MishoVnBg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users