BBO Discussion Forums: Who should get involved ? or just fixed - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who should get involved ? or just fixed

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-May-17, 16:46

We just played a very fine set of bridge (72.2%), only 18 boards, 13 75%+, 4 50% and one zero, which is this board.

2 is cold for 3, we held it to 2 but still got a zero, who should get involved ? or is it just a fix ? Diamonds break, 3 is -1, 3 also -1 if they bid 3. I seriously considered reentering the auction with 2 on the end, but thought partner might have a near yarborough with long clubs.

#2 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-May-17, 20:04

View PostCyberyeti, on 2024-May-17, 16:46, said:

We just played a very fine set of bridge (72.2%), only 18 boards, 13 75%+, 4 50% and one zero, which is this board.

2 is cold for 3, we held it to 2 but still got a zero, who should get involved ? or is it just a fix ? Diamonds break, 3 is -1, 3 also -1 if they bid 3. I seriously considered reentering the auction with 2 on the end, but thought partner might have a near yarborough with long clubs.

East has a _good_ hand. East knows that West does not have a long club suit. Double of 2 would _not_ show long strong diamonds: 3 shows that.

#3 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-May-17, 22:07

More likely just a case of bad luck.

East's 1 is routine, so the likely issue may be that South's 1NT was a bit suspect and was not repeated at other tables.

#4 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-May-18, 00:08

I would like to do something with the West hand. When partner opens 1 you know the opponents have a heart fit (unless partner has 5 hearts, i.e. 6 diamonds, i.e. we want to play in diamonds) and we have a diamond fit so it's good to compete. I don't know whether your methods allow for this, but passing twice can't be right.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2024-May-18, 01:22

View Postbluenikki, on 2024-May-17, 20:04, said:

East has a _good_ hand. East knows that West does not have a long club suit. Double of 2 would _not_ show long strong diamonds: 3 shows that.

How does E know W doesn't have xx, xxx, xx, xxxxxxx or similar ?

#6 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-May-18, 01:37

Assuming that 1 shows four I would bid 2 at once by West.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2024-May-18, 03:35

View PostTMorris, on 2024-May-18, 01:37, said:

Assuming that 1 shows four I would bid 2 at once by West.

It is very likely exactly 4 with the diamonds badly placed, we open all hands with only 4 card suits outside our weak NT range 1 if diamonds are one of the suits.

Who is doing what after 1-(1N)-2-(2) anyway ?

#8 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2024-May-18, 05:00

As West playing an unbalanced I would compete after transfer completion usually expecting opener to have 5m and 5431 so find a 9-card fit. In this case opener turns up with 4441 so we settle in .

After 1N 3 P/C is also possible the way I play

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2024-May-18, 06:24

View Postmw64ahw, on 2024-May-18, 05:00, said:

As West playing an unbalanced I would compete after transfer completion usually expecting opener to have 5m and 5431 so find a 9-card fit. In this case opener turns up with 4441 so we settle in .

After 1N 3 P/C is also possible the way I play

You are not playing an unbalanced diamond, you would have opened 1 with any strong NT with diamonds

#10 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2024-May-18, 08:47

It sounds as if the opps may have done something different than at other tables, probably the 1N overcall wasn’t made elsewhere…at least that’s the most logical sounding inference I can see.

One of the realities of mp bridge, especially in weak or mediocre fields, is that once in a while ‘bad’ or weird actions by the opps give one a bad board that is simply unavoidable without descending to their level of badness or weirdness, which is never a good idea.

Worrying about being ‘fixed’ is a waste of energy.

The very idea of bidding as west strikes me as a desire to get a zero, and east clearly has no rational choice at any stage after 1D. I think anyone seriously arguing for action by either is seriously misguided.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2024-May-18, 11:24

The 1N almost certainly occurred at one table (Kx, Q9x, Qxx, AKQxx) as it was left to play there for 90. The other was 3-2 for 100 where I don't know how they got there.

It was a weak club game and you're not vulnerable, so unless there's a horrible break, you're unlikely to get doubled.

#12 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2024-May-18, 15:14

At my very mixed standard club I suspect one or two would raise diamonds at the first opportunity. Not saying that is right and I'm not sure if I would have the guts to do that after RHO has advertised a defensive hand with values in our suit, could easily end up as -300. At my club there are players who will take liberties against weak players in the bidding because they are confident they will not get doubled.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users