Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chat function Anybody else having problems

#1 User is offline   Beth765 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-May-15, 09:08

I can say hello using the chat feature but then it becomes unresponsive sometimes half way through a word.
Play is unaffected but it does make me look ignorant as I am unable to 'say' wp hlp thanks for the games etc
Just me?
Any ideas how to fix. I've reinstalled a couple of times

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-May-15, 11:35

Reinstalled? Are you talking about the mobile app?

#3 User is offline   Beth765 

• Pip

Posted 2024-May-16, 08:01

Yes. I've spoken to help at bbo. It's a known problem on the app.
Now playing online problem solved.

#4 User is offline   gerrie 01 

• Pip

Posted 2024-May-24, 03:27

My partner and I have been playing east west for a few years now. Our opponents are our friends. We play 3 times a week! We have notice that north south usually get the better hands! It would be appreciated if the distribution of points could be more even. Thank you!

#5 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-May-24, 03:51

View Postgerrie 01, on 2024-May-24, 03:27, said:

My partner and I have been playing east west for a few years now. Our opponents are our friends. We play 3 times a week! We have notice that north south usually get the better hands! It would be appreciated if the distribution of points could be more even. Thank you!

This is called selective memory. You remember every time North + South have good hands, and forget every time East + West do.

This is easy to check by looking at your hand records. This year, you have played 561 deals.

Average points per hand at your table:

South: 9.95
North: 10.25
West: 9.72
East: 10.07

Yes, NS combined have averaged 0.2 HCP/deal more than average.. but this is totally negligible. The points are unrelated to what seats you are in.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2024-May-24, 14:51

View Postgerrie 01, on 2024-May-24, 03:27, said:

What does this have to do with problems with the chat feature? Are you unaware that you can start new threads, you don't have to post your message as a reply to an existing thread?

#7 User is offline   brizilla 

• Pip

Posted 2024-May-29, 09:57

Yes, I'm having problems with the mobile app. Chat seems to work at first, but then I'll find I hit the button, the text box appears, but the keyboard does not appear. Logging out and back in cures it for little while, then more of the same. I've seen a thread from 2016 about this occurring in V4.xx, which said BBO were working hard on a fix, - but this is 2024 and I'm on V6.x ! Is there a solution, it's quite irritating not to be able to reply to comments etc. The phone is a Samsung A14, Android V13. Problem first noticed about 6 weeks ago.

It happens so often that I now have a lengthy Chat Manager message set up explaining why I can't chat, - not sure how convincing it is to the other players though.

I have a supplementary question: In the Account Settings there is a "Speak Chat" option. What does it do ? I thought this might be a solution to the lack of a keyboard (if it's speech to text), but enabling it doesn't seem to do anything. I googled 'bbo speak chat' and there is an explanation of "Voice Chat" on teaching tables and some team matches, but its use seems to be controlled by the table setup, and there is no mention of having to enable "Speak Chat" in your account settings, which suggests they are not related. ??

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2024-May-29, 15:55

"speak chat" means that chat messages that you receive will be played using text-to-speach software. It doesn't mean that you can dictate chat.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users