• You cannot reply to this topic

plain vanilla

#41 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2024-April-03, 22:37

Partner thinks we already have too much in the way of new systems to learn at the moment, and he's right.
I will read up, try to understand Unbalanced, Balanced more and save it until later.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#42 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-April-04, 00:10

I'm sorry for creating confusion. I don't want to suggest changing up your opening methods, especially if your partner is already overwhelmed with the gadgets. What I do recommend is bidding your shape in 2/1 auctions. In particular on 1-2 I would:
  • Rebid 2NT with balanced hands.
  • Rebid 2M with 4(+)M, 5(+).
  • Raise clubs with four.
  • Bid 2 with what remains, which is 6(+) without an outside suit.
There are some edge cases: 4441's are uncomfortable, and you may perhaps wish to raise clubs with a balanced hand sometimes. This is for you to decide, and also depends on which minor you open with (32)=4=4.

The above structure has a number of weaknesses, but has many strengths to make up for it. It is much better than most of the other suggestions I've run into. Also, importantly, it is simple.

The unbalanced diamond has an impact here by eliminating the 2NT rebid, but this of secondary concern.

#43 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2024-April-05, 08:56

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-April-04, 00:10, said:

I'm sorry for creating confusion. I don't want to suggest changing up your opening methods, especially if your partner is already overwhelmed with the gadgets. What I do recommend is bidding your shape in 2/1 auctions. In particular on 1-2 I would:
  • Rebid 2NT with balanced hands.
  • Rebid 2M with 4(+)M, 5(+).
  • Raise clubs with four.
  • Bid 2 with what remains, which is 6(+) without an outside suit.
There are some edge cases: 4441's are uncomfortable, and you may perhaps wish to raise clubs with a balanced hand sometimes. This is for you to decide, and also depends on which minor you open with (32)=4=4.

The above structure has a number of weaknesses, but has many strengths to make up for it. It is much better than most of the other suggestions I've run into. Also, importantly, it is simple.

The unbalanced diamond has an impact here by eliminating the 2NT rebid, but this of secondary concern.

Thanks, no worries. I hope to look at U, B sometime soon perhaps after getting confident with 10-13nt, T-Walsh and running web movements :)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users