Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rusinow Leads

#1 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-February-22, 07:47

Assume you are playing Rusinow leads against a 4S contract where partner has thrown in a 2H overcall....say 1S-2H (by partner) -4S - all pass. Are Rusinow leads off assuming you lead a heart?

Assuming you will lead a Heart, my notes have it: Lead the Ace if you don't have the King. Lead the King if you have the Ace or Queen and look for attitude. If you have touching honors, lead the top one. If you have a doubleton, lead the top one. If you have 3 or more headed by the 9 or better, lead 3rd best and partner will apply rule of 12. If you supported your partner with 3+ little ones, lead the top one. If you have 3+ little ones and you did not support partner, lead the little one.

Do my notes make sense?

#2 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-February-22, 09:03

View PostShugart23, on 2024-February-22, 07:47, said:

Assume you are playing Rusinow leads against a 4S contract where partner has thrown in a 2H overcall....say 1S-2H (by partner) -4S - all pass. Are Rusinow leads off assuming you lead a heart?

Assuming you will lead a Heart, my notes have it: Lead the Ace if you don't have the King. Lead the King if you have the Ace or Queen and look for attitude. If you have touching honors, lead the top one. If you have a doubleton, lead the top one. If you have 3 or more headed by the 9 or better, lead 3rd best and partner will apply rule of 12. If you supported your partner with 3+ little ones, lead the top one. If you have 3+ little ones and you did not support partner, lead the little one.

Do my notes make sense?

https://www.bridgebu...sinow_leads.php

#3 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-February-22, 09:10

View PostChas_P, on 2024-February-22, 09:03, said:

Thanks, yes...I guess I am looking for an opinion on my notes, where partner has thrown in a bid. It does seem that Rusinow leads are 'off' if you are going to lead parnter's suit

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-22, 10:52

I don't play Rusinow - I read the book about 6 years ago, and never had anyone willing to try it. But "leading partner's suit has its own rules" has always been a thing, and I'd expect that applies as well to leading Q vs K from KQx.

Having said that, there are probably some good ideas in this old BBO link, including from (at least one) world class players.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-22, 12:09

Do my notes make sense?

The notes seem pretty standard to me and fine. Only possible disagreement is maybe want to lead 9 from 9xx if you have supported, saving low for Txx+ without sequence.

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-22, 19:38

You lead a heart? Isn't partner on lead?

Assuming a different auction where partner has bid a suit, either directly or by inference, ie partner bid an Unusual NT showing the minors, or doubled a transfer bid, etc, then opening leader makes standard leads in that suit, not Rusinow. That's the way I play them.

Why standard leads in this situation? Because leads from singletons or doubletons in partner's suit are very common, and Rusinow leads can be very difficult to read by partner.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users