• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pass, raise, 6D?

#21 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2005-July-11, 06:59

I can't get terribly excited about this hand, because:

6H is not a very good contract (it needs hearts 3-2 or singleton 10/9 over, plus the ace of hearts not having 4 diamonds, plus the king of spades suitably placed).

Edit: I was going to add "or singleton ace onside" but in fact it's worse than that on a diamond lead, I think you basically need hearts 3-2 or they can screw your entries completely.

6D is slightly better contract, but also needs hearts 3-2 or singleton Ace, plus the king of spades suitably placed.

That makes both of them way under 50%.

OK, you can get the odds up to nearly 50% because they lead the wrong thing sometimes. But the more scientific and revealing your auction, the more likely they are to lead the right thing.

FWIW I think the 5H bid is indeed asking for good trumps, because he could have cue bid either minor over 4H and didn't; if he was after a control in one of them he'd have made another cuebid. I also think Qxx is marginal where "good" is concerned.

#22 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-11, 08:46

Perhaps responder with his prime 19-count and double fit should grab the bull by the horns and bid a slam, instead of letting partner make a decision they can never get right. Of course, kickback would also help.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#23 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2005-July-11, 10:12

I'm with Frances in that I can't get too excited about a problem where the 'right' answer involves bidding a bad but making slam. However, the auction is very poor. Responder bid 5 to avoid the problem he would have encountered had he asked for keycards and got a zero response. He could avoid that by using kickback: 4 as keycard, but leaving that aside, he avoided one problem at the cost of creating another. In my view, the likelihood of partner misunderstanding the 5 bid was too great: look at the answers posted here B)

As for how he should have timed the auction, it is true that he had a horrible set of choices. 2 looks clear. However, 3 seems wasted: partner was not going to bid 4 unless he had both extras and a stiff or void, and it was highly unlikely that he could or would bid 3N. So the odds must have been 90% that 3 would fetch 4.

For my money, if responder planned his auction, he should anticipate the problem and jump to 5 over 3. That must focus on trump, since neither partner has cue bid at all.

But even better would be to adopt kickback!

Or, and here is a radical solution, require an opening bidder to hold an opening hand B)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#24 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-11, 10:21

FrancesHinden, on Jul 11 2005, 01:59 PM, said:

I can't get terribly excited about this hand, because:

I think the excitement is not about the result, but about the auction. I will assume that this is an absolute minimum opener. I think given the bidding, opener may still pass with hands (make Q a king and add T) where slam is excellent; so responder may have done better to drive to slam which is 50% even opposite this dead minimum.

Of course, if they had good agreements about 5, my point is moot. But this doesn't match with Roland's story (the long tanks etc.).

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users