• Group: Members
  • Interests:Hiking: https://sesgs.si/pohodi

Posted 2023-July-16, 21:45

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-July-16, 22:00

The bidding doesn't make any sense at all. But you have 11 top tricks and can make a 12th via a major suit squeeze, though whether that's the best line I'm not sure.

Based on this and the last post, I'm a bit unsure what the purpose of the question is though.

#3 User is offline   jcerni 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-July-16, 22:28

This example shows how we can ruffing with clubs and spades.

#4 User is offline   jcerni 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-July-17, 09:06

Here is answer: https://youtu.be/JYKYm8WarWw

#5 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-July-17, 14:26

View Postjcerni, on 2023-July-17, 09:06, said:

It's difficult to follow with such poor graphics and no means to control timing.

Is the objective to illustrate your software? If so then maybe say so, and take a look at how established software shows the hands and play.

#6 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-July-17, 14:36

It also has a bug where it shows East (or I guess it's West; East is usually on the right) leading to one of the later tricks, and isn't a great line of play (risks being overruffed, should be drawing trumps early) even if the squeeze does turn out better than the finesse, which I guess it does with the known heart length.

#7 User is offline   jcerni 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-July-17, 16:27

Do you know some application where you can load your all cards for bridge game? Above is the PowerPoint. That is all what I have for these purposes. I have changed N is S, S is N, W is E and E is West, because application has changed that I has played the game. On the other hand I have been table.

#8 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-July-17, 17:42

You can use BBO's hand editor - either by clicking the Hand Editor button when writing a forum post, or within BBO itself (Account tab -> Deal archive -> Hand editor).

Both allow you to enter the cards / bidding / play, and it results in a hand diagram that can be clicked through along with double dummy analysis. (With the former it inserts the diagram into your forum post, and with the latter, you can export it via the menu icon at the top right after creating it.)

If you want to record a video and don't want all cards visible while demonstrating the hand, you can set up a Teaching table in BBO (will likely need to be logged into two different accounts, one to play the hidden cards and one to record).

#9 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-July-17, 18:25

Using BBF to market your social media channel seems inappropriate, possibly against the site rules. Make your channel popular first and then others will link to it for you without you having to start threads like this and appear desperate.

#10 User is offline   jcerni 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-July-18, 01:40

I intend to teach bridge, not to gain followers on my YouTube channel, as I have only been playing it since January 2023. BBO'S hand editor is good tool for me.

#11 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2023-July-18, 10:15

First, and foremost, welcome! Good to see you here, and good to see you've been fascinated by this wonderful game of ours, and want to help bring more people into it! Good luck to you!

But the way you do that here, without getting those kinds of "shilling" claims, is to write out your solution in this thread, and then mention that if we liked that analysis or this problem, there are more [at url].

Or sit on the forums for a while, answering the problems others post, and getting into those discussions. And, oh by the way, I teach...

This next is going to sound snobbish, but it's true (less true than it sounds, of course). There is a limit to how good a bridge player you can be after 6 months. Many of the posters here, even if their ability isn't what it could be with the correct discipline spent, passed that point decades ago. Some of the posters here I would bet on against the best in the world and not think it's a sucker's bet (okay, not much maybe, and only with good odds, but still). "Hey look, I have cool stuff I can teach you, but you have to go over to my place instead of where you want to be" - well, it might work if you do actually have cool stuff to teach them. It's still not the right way to do it, but it might work.

On a very side note (but relevant to smerriman's comment about the wrong hand leading and the wrong layout), please read through Richard Pavlicek's Bridge Writing Style Guide and follow all of it unless you *know* it's wrong for your specific case (e.g. much of the English lesson is irrelevant if you're writing in your own language!). It was carefully curated about 30 years ago, to document then-current practise and to offer community-agreed answers in places where then-current practise was not universal; it has basically been "style bible" since then. Like sign standards when driving, following the style your readers expect makes it much easier for them to interact with your material; especially if they're new. Frankly, all of RP's site (except probably the 1990's web formatting :-) is worth paying attention to, especially if you're interested in teaching, but if you don't follow the style guide (especially "North on top, South declarer unless there's a very good reason"!) you will confuse your readers.

Re: the actual hand, the squeeze is interesting. Whether you should find it, rather than taking your safe 11 and going home is a question. 2 should be explained, of course, as being a forcing diamond raise, and I guess the reason North had to play the squeeze was to minimize partner's glaring at him for passing it. Of course, making 11 or 12 tricks is not terribly relevant against the sea of 600s, 630s and even some 660s (on a spade lead) the field is making in 3NT, but it is a nice play.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#12 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2023-July-18, 13:07

I would only add that while you don't need to be an expert to teach (and many experts are unable to do so) you need to have talent for teaching... and I don't see that in evidence so far, although I may be wrong. If you are learning fast and enjoying bridge, then maybe becoming an expert is the way to go :)

#13 User is offline   jcerni 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-July-19, 23:14

I have been a professional teacher at the Secondary School of Economics, Services, and Construction in Kranj for 27 years. I teach economic subjects, including practical classes like "Educational Enterprise: https://tadoeng.splet.arnes.si" Our next product will be a Bridge Course. Additionally, I am a member of the Ljubljana Bridge Club. Now, I am contemplating how to effectively teach the students the basics of bridge. Thank you for your advice, opinions, and suggestions, which have been very helpful to me.

#14 User is offline   jcerni 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-July-19, 23:21

Posted Image

After the first trick, we play the Queen of Hearts from the table. The dealer leads the Hearts again, which the table trumps with the Ace of Spades. We play a low Club from the table, which the dealer picks up with an Ace. Next, we play a low Heart from the table, and the dealer trumps it with Spades. From the table, we play the Queen of Diamonds. Then, we play the King of Diamonds from the table. Once again, the dealer plays a low Heart and trumps it with Spades. We play a Club from the table, which the dealer picks up with the Ace of Spades. We play the King of Spades (trump). The dealer plays another Spade, the Ace. The dealer plays the 10 of Spades, which East picks up with the Queen of Spades. This is the only trick taken by EW (East and West). East plays the 8 of Clubs, which South takes with the trump 7 of Spades. We have made the 12 tricks.

#15 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-July-20, 00:50

I'm afraid nothing that you have said makes any sense :( Nothing in the diagram matches any of the tricks, and it's amusing how many aces of spades there are in this deck. You also have an easy 13 tricks, for reference.

#16 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-July-20, 03:05

As someone who has done a fair amount of bridge teaching, the easiest method is crib cards. I used to have 2 A4 sheets containing all of the key basic constructive bidding rules. This stage you can do completely 1 on 1. Once the student(s) have got the hang of that you can move on to competitive bidding, best done as a 4 though there are tools available for inserting opposition bidding with realistic hands these days. Card play works similarly - once the student has the gist of trick-taking (whist-family) games, provide some basic rules for leads, signals and general play (finesses, 2nd hand low, 3rd hand high, etc). Most of the rest comes from experience until they reach a much higher level.
The key for me was always engaging the students directly in play but in such a way that they were able to have some framework to know what they should be doing rather than sitting there looking confused, or, even worse, sitting through hours of lessons before even seeing a playing card, as happens at a lot of bridge teaching. Review and suggest improvements after each hand (or set) to build confidence and prevent any misunderstandings becoming ingrained. Through such practise, it does not take very long at all for most students to be able to discard the crib sheets and bid at a respectable social level.

On thing I will also mention, I am not at all saying that this is the only way. Those lessons that love to talk about bidding before having the students actually do it always see to remain popular enough, so they must surely get their results. And there are also more modern approaches, such as starting with Minibridge and building up from there. However you end up structuring your lessons, if you can get more people in the world playing the game then good luck to you!

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-July-20, 07:48

BBF has a hand diagram tool in the editor, it's the Spade symbol at the right end of the toolbar. It's preferable to use than instead of screenshots.

#18 User is offline   jcerni 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-July-20, 11:25

Thank you for the instructions on how to teach contract bridge. I had exactly that method in mind. Writing the bidding on a sheet, followed by bidding and playing. The playing part includes mentor supervision over the students (bridge players). Pure theory would not have a positive impact on the students. I will include this teaching as a phase for selling an online bridge course. As an educational company, the rule applies, do not purchase for real needs!

Is bridge taught as a subject in primary or secondary education in your country? In Slovenia, it is only an elective course at the Faculty of Mathematics. I will be one of the few in Slovenia attempting to incorporate a brief bridge learning experience for the purpose of selling an online bridge course in the practical subject of Business Operations.

#19 User is offline   jcerni 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-July-20, 11:58

View Postbarmar, on 2023-July-20, 07:48, said:

BBF has a hand diagram tool in the editor, it's the Spade symbol at the right end of the toolbar. It's preferable to use than instead of screenshots.

Is hand diagram tool in the editor (BBF) purposes that you there simulate instead in BBO Hand editor

#20 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2023-July-20, 14:48

View Postjcerni, on 2023-July-20, 11:25, said:

Thank you for the instructions on how to teach contract bridge. I had exactly that method in mind. Writing the bidding on a sheet, followed by bidding and playing. The playing part includes mentor supervision over the students (bridge players). Pure theory would not have a positive impact on the students. I will include this teaching as a phase for selling an online bridge course. As an educational company, the rule applies, do not purchase for real needs!

Is bridge taught as a subject in primary or secondary education in your country? In Slovenia, it is only an elective course at the Faculty of Mathematics. I will be one of the few in Slovenia attempting to incorporate a brief bridge learning experience for the purpose of selling an online bridge course in the practical subject of Business Operations.

In my country (Italy) bridge is taught as a subject in a few secondary schools.
The kids love it and a select few go on to become competitive players, kudos to them and to those who formed them.
AFAIK the only country that has seriously committed to bridge in schools is China, which is a bit strange given that it has its own alternative mindgame, but the boss loves bridge.
I'm not particularly convinced that teaching bridge will help people to learn other practical subjects: at best you could use it as a test to judge who can succeed in Business Operations or whatever.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users