BBO Discussion Forums: Questions for the correct lead in contract bridge - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions for the correct lead in contract bridge

#1 User is offline   jcerni 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Hiking: https://sesgs.si/pohodi

Posted 2023-July-15, 23:11

Which is the correct lead?
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-July-16, 00:01

I'm guessing 10.
Non legit hoc

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-July-16, 02:33

Hard to know if I can see all the hands.

#4 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-July-16, 03:46

99.9% of the time it is best to lead your partner's suit except if there is a very good reason not to do so - void :)

So the 10 is the lead I expect to be made, top of a doubleton.

#5 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-July-16, 07:24

Assuming a spade lead, standard would be the 10 in Western Europe, Australia and the US, or the 4 in Poland and for pairs that have adopted one of the available low-like or mixed count (Slawinski) schemes. I notice in particular that the OP hand is written in Croatian, so it might well be that their standards are similar to Polish. I cannot say I am familiar with Croat signalling methods though.

It turns out that (for me) it is actually North's carding that ends up being the more interesting on this hand. North has 2 ways of cashing their A-K and 6 ways of playing 2 spade spots. In an ideal world, all of these should carry some message.

So let's start with the honours. The normal way of playing honours is add the lowest, lead the highest, so that would be K-A. This should probably not carry a strong message. Against that, playing A-K is unusual. Unusual carding suggests something. Here there are 2 very popular signalling systems. The more common one is for playing high-low in your suit to show strong interest in the higher of the remaining 2. In this method, you might do this with K instead of A to inform partner that diamonds is your entry suit even if you only had 4-3-2 as spots. The second is sometimes referred to as an Alarm Clock signal - it is meant to wake partner up that they need to do something unusual NOW. In this case, normal would be leading a minor so unusual would strongly suggest playing back a trump. Alarm Clocks are extremely useful when they come up but are rare and not always correctly interpreted, so my personal suggestion for social/club pairs would be suit preference.

So on to the spots. It is more or less standard at all levels of bridge for the card played to give partner a ruff to carry with it suit preference overtones. While it is possible to play reverse preference (and at least 1 multi-BB winning pair does) it is pointless and imho just one extra thing to remember. In any case, here we have 9-8-2, so we play the 9 for diamonds or the 2 for clubs. In theory the 8 shows "no preference or trumps" but the reality is that partner will generally just misread it, so use this signal sparingly.

So what do want to show? With the honours, nothing special, then diamonds is our safest entry and clubs is our secondary entry. So on this hand I would play K-A-9-2. By following these rules, you get a very wide array of signalling options and thereby make the defence for you and your partner much easier.

#6 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-July-16, 18:28

Anything other than a heart apparently :unsure:

But I think I would likely lead from my doubleton spade to partner's suit

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-July-20, 07:43

The image link no longer works. When I go to the URL directly it says that the signature expired.

Instead of an image, you can use the hand diagram tool to post a hand and auction.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users