BBO Discussion Forums: How Can a Pre-bid hand Give Such Wide Results? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Can a Pre-bid hand Give Such Wide Results?

#1 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-June-05, 05:30

Hello! I think I'm missing something about robot play. Just curious. On this free day-long, when the 6 spades deal is pre-dealt, pre-bid, and the computer has the first lead, how can folks get 73% to my 27%? The robots take the first 3 tricks cold, so declarer is automatically down 2.
I suppose declarer could play the queen of hearts on the first trick and that might cause anyone with under 5 master points to not lead the king of hearts on the second trick. However, should he lead the king and declarer plays another heart, a third heart lead probable for partner to possibly trump would be likely.
Are other folks playing a different card distribution at 6 spades, perhaps to prevent forms of cheating? Or is there something in the lead algorithm that allows the robot to lead differently with different players even though everything is otherwise the same? Best regards.

Mike

https://tinyurl.com/2gmxdlxa

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-June-05, 06:18

Can you post a hand from the player that made 73% - should be in the results.
Non legit hoc

#3 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-June-05, 06:56

It is a daylong, so no results till tomorrow.

I suspect declarer played the queen of hearts on the first trick. If so, nothing wrong with that or with Gib's switch to a different suit on the second trick. It would just help me understand how Gib plays, both as a partner and as ops. Best regards.

Mike

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-June-05, 23:44

The other tables would have thrown different cards, but there is zero correlation between this and the fact that they got a better score. Almost all of the time, the robot will play a third heart no matter what cards you throw.

Since the free robot uses a very small number of simulations, once in a rare while it will deal hands where you just happened to have a doubleton heart in all of them (or all but one, and it includes a psych or has buggy results on another one, which counterbalances it). Its conclusion from the simulation is that a heart isn't any better than anything else, so it may lead something else.

Say that happens 1 every 50 times you give GIB the hand.. if someone throws different cards, they get a different random number than you did.

In this case, throwing high cards resulted in them getting the 1 in 50 shot.. next time if you got exactly the same hand, throwing normal cards might get you to the 1 in 50 shot and you get the 70% score, or you get a flat 50% because it played a heart for everyone.

So there is really nothing to be learned here, other than sometimes people get lucky for no reason. Nothing other tables did made it more likely they'd get a better score.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users