Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nasty players I’m really amazed at how nasty players can be

#1 User is offline   fake_user+connil@forums.bridgebase.com 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-May-27, 07:52

I have been called a moron and a dumb ass and stupid and other names. I’ve taken screenshots of the people doing this and I probably have around 10 people. I don’t understand this is supposed to be fun. I’m listed as a beginner and I’m playing much the same way that I play bridge in person. I don’t think that the same building rules apply to this website and real bridge in person, but I’m also good at playing bridge and shouldn’t be called these names. I’m sure other people are getting the same thing. Usually the person will be nasty and then leave the game. Is anyone else finding this is happening to them?

#2 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-May-27, 19:27

View Postfake_user+connil@forums.bridgebase.com, on 2023-May-27, 07:52, said:

I have been called a moron and a dumb ass and stupid and other names. I’ve taken screenshots of the people doing this and I probably have around 10 people. I don’t understand this is supposed to be fun. I’m listed as a beginner and I’m playing much the same way that I play bridge in person. I don’t think that the same building rules apply to this website and real bridge in person, but I’m also good at playing bridge and shouldn’t be called these names. I’m sure other people are getting the same thing. Usually the person will be nasty and then leave the game. Is anyone else finding this is happening to them?

You have my sympathies. Many of us have been there - even half decent (if I say so myself) players. There are a bunch of truly obnoxious losers inhabiting the tables on this site. Don't ever know if they will deal with it. Who knows who brought them up to be like that. Its a mystery to me. If you find any nice people let me know. Some of them were stupid. One even abused me (privately) half way through a hand when I was heading for +3 or 4 IMPs for them. You can add stupidity and lack of gratitude to their obnoxious upbringing too. I have almost given up. Long time since I risked joining a group at a table on this site. Sad really

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-May-28, 11:00

There are nasty people everywhere, especially on a free site. There is, unfortunately, a pattern among smart people that they have to show how smart they are, and sometimes it's done by pointing out others' mistakes and using bad terms to do it. I hate it, I try to stamp it out when I see it, it's better than it was when I started playing, but it's there.

That doesn't mean you should put up with it. Send it to abuse, and let the people paid to deal with it handle it.

There's also the problem that people inflate their own skill - the moss-covered joke that "There was a survey of bridge players, and it found that 90% of them are better than their partners". They want a "fair game" - a partner "at their level" (slightly better than they are), against opponents "at their level" (slightly worse than they are). You can see where this is going.

The full solution is what I've mentioned several times before: find people that make a good game for you, in particular a few partners that are good for you, and leave the Permanent Pickup Pool. Unfortunately, that solution just concentrates in that Pool the ones who *can't* find a "good game for them", frequently because they abuse all the ones they have. Which means that the chance people like you are going to find them get higher. Not high, thankfully, but once is enough.

The Correct Solution to the ones you have evidence of is not here, but "send to abuse@" (bridgebase.com). They don't read forums for abuse stories, but they do handle (lots of) complaints every day.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users