BBO Discussion Forums: Doees Robot Play Support Doubles? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doees Robot Play Support Doubles?

#1 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-May-23, 05:24

Hello! On a recent hand, I bid a support double, which was confirmed as such under the bid description. I presumed that this meant that the robot played support doubles? When robot rebid its suit, I was expecting 5 cards, and I was surprised to see 4 middling cards when the dummy laid down. Did I misinterpret its follow-up spade and NT bids? Of did my rebid of spades mean something different to the robot other than that I wanted to play in spades?

Does the robot play support doubles? Best regards.

Mike

https://tinyurl.com/2f3kwcr5

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-May-23, 06:30

The hand diagram shows that the bot made the support double?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-23, 07:20

I'm assuming that you're North after play began and this is a "best hand" tourney where you started as South?
And yes, the support dbl means you have exactly 3 not 4, and yes GIB is bananas, although you (South?) could have stopped in 3NT - neither of which make sadly.

Non legit hoc

#4 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-23, 09:53

2S does not promise a 5th spade, what is North supposed to do with 4333 with 6-7HCP,
passing 2H?
Given that the Support X implied 4+ diamonds, this can also been seen by the provided alert,
North should bid 3D instead of 2S, you have a 8 card fit, but it is possible, that this is
some kind of trial bid for the GIBs, but it does show diamond length.

Even in human partnerships, this seq. is sometimes undiscussed, ..., we have, but dont ask me,
what the outcome was, it is not coming up a lot.

South 3S bid is ...
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-23, 14:19

I don't really see an issue with GIB's bidding here. Give North any non-invitational hand with 4 spades, and they have to bid *something*, so it's impossible to play that 2 shows 5 cards. Not just 4333, but a wide variety of hands - you don't want to be making a strong 3 bid with 4225, for example.

You could make a case for 3 showing a minimum with diamond support, but GIB simply prefers keeping the bidding at a lower level. If you have extras, you can bid naturally after that and GIB will correct to spades if they have 5 cards. If you did want GIB to bid 3 here, what would you want it to bid with an 11 count and no stopper?

You may want to watch Peter Hollands video on support doubles starting at 22:48 where he covers why rebidding 2 doesn't promise anything more than a 4 card suit, and later on he even mentions that 3 of opener's suit is a tricky bid that needs discussion, with some playing it as a minimum (including himself) and some forward-going.

(Lastly, even if you did somehow know GIB had 5 spades, you don't really want to be playing at the 3 level with a minimum and an 8 card fit anyway.)

#6 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-May-25, 04:06

Thank you, all.

My apologies. I was South. I did not catch that the hand viewer reversed the positions. Best regards.

Mike

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users